Krell KSA 50 PCB

Re: Glad to...

Stuart Easson said:
That's my daughter Julia. She made an appearance at the BAF2008, here she won a handful of awards ;-)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aH0mCSF-WZeKXkGEwzTwHA

She's a few months older and far more sophisticated in her listening tastes, she only chews high end equipment now...

Stuart

She is precious Stuart !!

By the way what drivers are those that you are using to clamp down the Bamboo flooring? Peerless's?

drivers...

Thanks for all the kind compliments, it's ridiculously unrealistic for me to comment on how cute my own child is, but she sure seems like a good 'un to me.

He's very observant that k-amps...

They are Peerless 4" mid-bass drivers from Jack Hidley, used in a couple of older NHT speakers I think.

I don't know what the regular part number would be, only the NHT version. I had Jack measure the parameters for me at BAF2007, using his Klippel machine, so I didn't worry about not knowing the peerless part number.

He wanted rid of them and so I collected ~40 of them for $1 a piece...so far all they've done is collect dust and weigh down bamboo flooring...

One day I'll build that darn line array...

Stuart

Vanished Krell schematics

I have had a couple of queries on why the schematics have gone missing from my KSA100 Mk II rebuild page at:

http://home.ca.inter.net/~lloyd.maclean/Krell/Krell.htm

I received a message from my ISP that read as follows:

"This morning we were contacted by an agent from Krell Industries, the
manufacturer of high-end audio equipment, with reference to some
documents that you are hosting on your personal web space. The documents
in question are schematics for some of their amplifiers which are
copyrighted material and therefor may be in violation of our Terms of
Service agreement if you did not obtain permission to publish these
documents.

The agent from Krell Industries politely requested that the documents be
taken off the web site. We recommend that you contact Krell Industries
to determine if the content qualifies as fair usage of their copyrighted
material, or if you could obtain permission from them to host the
content and add copyright holder information on the site."

Read into it what you will, this is consistent with their treatment of us whule we were their distributor. By the way, they typically would not provide us with schematics of their products even though we were expected to repair them (often). Those posted were drawn by me from the actual amps...

Regards,
L
:smash:

Re: Been there, done that...

Stuart Easson said:
...Just have to find it in the thread.

Putting a CCS into the longtailed pairs makes the amp more or less voltage independent, so I did it for the very high voltage version.

Didn't change the name, don't know if it made the amp better.

Stuart

Mister( congrats on fatherhood) you could assign a name to this new amplifier and put up a schematic? I wish I could do these things and meanwhile I will continue to watch and learn.

...it could be Jules100...cousin of krell(COK100) oops perhaps not that one but you know where I'm going with it.

already done

Hi,

Thanks, time aside everything about fatherhood has been agreeable so far. My brother is up to 3 girls and he tells me it gets exponentially harder, something like n^3.

Don't wish to seem unwilling, but I'm short on time and the schematic and details are already in the thread. Plus we are talking a very simple addition here, in total a couple of zener diodes, a few resistors, and two transistors...you just have to search. Details may be in the wiki.

Stuart

Yup thats it all right...

...I did make the little boards, I remember sending some to someone, probably k-amps, but I could be wrong. No-one else contacted me indicating any interest, so I just made a few.

I used expresspcb, with their protoboard option, each one of their 2x3 boards being cut up to make 4 or 6 smaller boards.

The circuit really is trivial, but it was made as an add-on to the boards from the GB, so there was no way to make it super tidy, I used relative stiff single stranded wire for the connections and had mine floating above the main board.

The image posted is exactly what I designed to send to expresspcb, I simply replicated it 4 or 6 times.

Thanks Grimberg, that would have taken me all day.

Stuart

mosfets said:

I tip my hat in your direction! Start the thread and show us what you are suggesting. :up:

I have been following the thread of John's amp as he was developing it. There were a serious number of comments, some great some less great but contributions from Hugh, Jacco, Andrew, Mooly and many others. I think John's amp eventually turned into a great amp.

Now why can we not do this as a group effort in creating a great diyAUDIO amp and instead of building clones we do our own based on fairly simple and straight forward symmetrical complimentary topology of the KRELL.

Personally I think the magic lies in the particular topology and the ruggedness and simplicity of the design.

If it is designed in the public domain then it is public property, anyone can use it as (s)he feels fit.

Regards

Nico

Re: Yup thats it all right...

Stuart Easson said:
...I did make the little boards, I remember sending some to someone, probably k-amps, but I could be wrong. No-one else contacted me indicating any interest, so I just made a few...

---message truncated----

Stuart

Yes Stuart, I was the lucky recipient... in those days you were busy with moving or wedding or both.. I forget. You were going to walk me through setting it up on the klone board.. (the Dunce that I am...) Hopefully it will happen one day when I get a job in my hometown and not travel each week... since then my DIY activitites have been put on hold... Since Oct 05 to be exact...