Krell KSA 50 PCB

Re: sensitivity...

Stuart Easson said:
If bypassing caps is your thing, the pair of back to back electros (c102/103) are pretty obvious candidates. They directly modify the gain of the amp, if thay have any 'oddities', it will be pretty obvious. IMHO this would be the one(s) to use your best quality caps on...

Whats the biggest physical dimensions that will fit comfortably on the board for c102//103? The parts list has 10mm listed in the notes, but would a 16mm black gate fit?

Thanks,
Brad

I posted the parts list I had a few days ago and have not heard any complaints.

We still do NOT have the capacitor parts list created.

Any takers on the Caps research?

I would like to order the parts soon if we are to rx them "around" the same time as the brds.

K-amps-

With a single shipment that large I will be happy to customize the kits. Once I order the parts I will ask specifically which ones you want and which you don't. I can always use the un-needed parts elsewhere. The shipping will be the same, but the total on the kits will be less the cost of the parts.

Edit: added parts list again.

Attachments

• ksa-50 pcb parts gbfor post.zip
    5 KB · Views: 189
Re: Re: sensitivity...

googler said:
Whats the biggest physical dimensions that will fit comfortably on the board for c102//103?

Funny nobody mentions the bypass capacitor for c103/103.
That is one i would use the very best for, instead of the polyester i saw on Jan Dupont's list.
(would use, going for OP07 active dc-offset instead)

So if I get 50W/8 ohms, I can expect 174W/2ohms?

Without excessive distortion, i doubt it. The only ones i recall able to do that were Threshold SA/* models and a fully regulated Levinson.
Likely that the voltage will drop below 3, 4 ohms, more importantly is how stable voltage level remains with phase shifts up to 60 degrees.

Testing that, with a capacitor hooked up on the amplifier exit, is not recommendable.
If you are content with an amplifier that is quite able to deliver peak power why put a 2 ohm dummy load on it ?
I'd test it from 8 to 4 ohms, for the entire audio spectrum, and leave funny stuff to data obsessed.

still4given said:
Did you realize that a few of theparts you have listed are non stocked items? Some have an 8 week lead time.

Blessings, Terry

Terry-
No I didn't, thanks for bringing that up.

All-
One of the things I stated when I offered to handle this GB on parts was that the parts list would be complied by others and agreed upon by all/majority.

Everyone is welcome, no wait, ENCOURAGED to comment on the parts list whether they will be ordering or not.

The input would be appreciated. I don't order components often but I install and change them daily on various projects. :D

Re: Re: Re: sensitivity...

jacco vermeulen said:

If you are content with an amplifier that is quite able to deliver peak power why put a 2 ohm dummy load on it ?
I'd test it from 8 to 4 ohms, for the entire audio spectrum, and leave funny stuff to data obsessed.

OK, somehow I shall try to live day-to-day not knowing just how many amps it can deliver to insane low impedance loads...always wondering why don't I just hook it up and find out....knowing that I could if I wanted to.....but at least it will be working.

Re: Re: Re: Re: sensitivity...

lgreen said:

OK, somehow I shall try to live day-to-day not knowing just how many amps it can deliver to insane low impedance loads...always wondering why don't I just hook it up and find out....knowing that I could if I wanted to.....but at least it will be working.

LOL, Kinda like when a bunch of us used to go 4-wheelin'. we were satisfied until somebody broke something. :smash:

Alot of commercial amps for this era and back to the 70's had sensitivities of around 1.25 to 1.5 volots for full output. Things changed perhaps in the late 80's and amp gains were cranked up a bit. Doesn't matter to me much, my Grounded Grid line stage has no problems at all driving the Krell. Now if you want to directly drive the Krell fomr a CD player then thats another story.

Mark

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Well, You can build the Grounded Grid for about 80 bucks depenfing on how expensive your output coupling caps are and how elaborate a chassis you want.

Mark

Why do that when you already have already killed yourself taking over 2 years to build your very 1st DIY project in decades- a kickass BOSOZ balanced preamplifier that just so happens to contain matching blue lights, matching fonts, and matching colors to the Krell clone?

....well matching but larger and more of them...

Seriously, the difference between that project and this one was the immense amount of help you all gave to everyone (not just me) regarding every aspect of construction. And the timing, the parallel track of Terry and his questions/info and the answers to them. I was only able to make this so quickly due to the help of everyone here. Not surprisingly, everyone is also helping to tweak the implementation. Thanks. :)

rabstg said:

K-amps-

With a single shipment that large I will be happy to customize the kits. Once I order the parts I will ask specifically which ones you want and which you don't. I can always use the un-needed parts elsewhere. The shipping will be the same, but the total on the kits will be less the cost of the parts.

Troy whatever is easier for you. I have all the semis, but need the Diodes and resistors and small caps.

BTW, can you include the pots too? :D

Jacco, can you suggest the caps? :(

Grimberg,

Just sent you a PDF of the present board. If you need any measurements I can give them to you as tight as .001".

Here is the board. I converted this through Photoshop but this is as large as it allows me to make it.

Mark

Attachments

• board copy.jpg
    board copy.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 738
Since there are both pro and cons for 33nF and 47nF (good, to low, possible oscilation) and 330nF (good, to high), why not somwhere just above 47nF like 68nF or a bit higher?

Perhaps some of the people who knows more than me could give a recommendation, the don't need to be a part of the GB ofcourse.

For C101 it will be difficult to find any other type in polyprop than Wima FKP2.
The FKP2 is the only one i know that comes in 680pF and 100/200 mills spacing.
Mouser has the Wima's.

Overhere it is easy to get styroflex capacitors, such as a Evox-Rifa PFR5 for C107/C108, or surplus 100V Siemens styroflex's by the 100s.
In the US it is easier to obtain silver-mica's, Digikey carries 5% accurate Cornell Dubilier's.
Took me some time on Ebay to find 2% accurates.

The Wima FKP2's Jan Dupont picked for C105/C106 have 10% accuracy, 1% FKP2's start from 100pF upwards.
I'd go for silver-mica there too, even nicer if matching was a possibillity.
For C105/C106, i'll place a 2% 500v silver-mica on the top of the board and solder a 100V 1% styroflex on the bottom.
After matching both as close as possible, i've got plenty of both silver-mica's and styroflex capacitors.

Digikey carries Epcos/Siemens B32620/21 MKP's for C104/C109, but these have 300/400 mills lead spacing.
If Al chose 200 mills spacing too it is either AVX, or go Wima FKP2 or silver mica there as well.

Krell used Roederstein small electrolytics for years, the red radials.
For C102/C103 computer grades would be nice, an Epcos/Siemens B41851, maybe Cornell still does affordable small radials. Stay away from chemicon and nichicon.

Hi,
way way back I tried to get the PCB altered to allow multiple hole pitch for the caps to avoid this pitch/cap value selection problem. Only two caps were changed to dual hole pitch and an excuse that there was no room to do any more. On reviewing the board on Eagle there appears to be lots of room for the majority of the caps to put in dual pitch holing or even triple in some cases. Pity we missed that chance, because it now limits all of us from where ever we try to source components and sometimes even having small orders from different suppliers.
I just hope I can get all my caps to fit.