Krell KSA 50 PCB

Hi All-

Well I guess it's considered repeating your self and not quoting yourself... :)

"If anyone feels frisky and can come up with the BOM and part #'s I will order, kit and send out the parts at cost."

So the BOM is there, we just need to source part #'s from a MAX of 3 suppliers and we can get this rolling.

I know Welbourne Labs in Colorado sells Dale resistors, anyone else know of another place and any cheaper?

Anybody have the time to look up part numbers from Digi-key and Mouser?

Would it be easier if I broke the list down to resistors, caps, semi's and such and have volunteers each take a section?

Mark- I don't want to exclude your surplus shop, do you know if they have any of the parts available and we can order from them?

I just have to get this rolling otherwise I will have boards out the wazoo sitting around naked and empty.

Yea, Mouser is the best place if you want Dale (Vishay) resistors. As the quantity goes up the price goes down quite a bit. Also when you deal with electronic wholesalers always call and talk to a representative and ask for the "best price" on what you are after. Believe me that are competitave and will sell for lower than the catalog price........

The surplus place is a good place and they are nice guys but if its Dale you're after then they can't help you much. Its basically what evers in stock although they do stock the majority of 1% metal film values.

Mark

Or my original one BOM.

Sorry guys, a new one will happen, I just really have no spare time at the moment...

A build guide will happen once I get the final boards, and will have pretty pictures! I wouldn't normally use Dales, but if someone wanted to send me some samples so the pics in the guide look correct then I'm sure I could cope with that! ;)

May I ask why the need to use Dale resistors? Is that what was used in the originals? I didn't use any Dales in mine and it plays fine but I'm always willing to learn.

I looked at Allied and over all I don't think their prices are better on the Dales than Welborne Lab at 20 cents each. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Blessings, Terry

Terry,

A little over a year ago I bought Dale resistors for a few projects from Allied Electronics. The cost was between $5.60 and $6.70 for each box with 100 pieces. When I wrote my previous post I had not checked the current prices, and it appears as if they have gone up substantially since then.

Dale Resistors

I used Dale resistors for my clone. Don't know about the newest parts list, but if its anything like the original part list you will note that, in most cases, Dale 1% values do not match the specified part. I'm using the closest avail parts and it seems to work.

As an aside I dropped my input boards last night (ouch!) hope they still work.

Anyway, the closest avail Dales, the ones I used, are shown handwritten into the orig parts list in the big pic in Post #2437.

Note that I used ccf or something dales which are smaller than those big reddish ones that have to be messed with to fit the hole spacing on the board. If this is what you will be using, i can prob dig up the mouser part #s for all the values.

Oops, The Dales I listed are 2%. Is that a big deal? The 1% Dales were quite a bit higher in price.

On another note, I have just about completed my case and will be ready to install everything into it. I've got a question about fuses. How many do I need, what values and where in the circuit should they go? Also, I am planning on using a CL-60 thermistor as well. Where in the chain should it be installed?

Thanks, Terry

Terry,

You actually listed both 1% and 2%, but in the vast majority of designs, even 5% should be acceptable. Otherwise, think about what a nightmare it would be for a manufacturer to control such tightly specified components, and pay the extra cost for them.
Vishay/Dale RN55D, RN60D and RN65D are reasonably priced, readily available and have a neutral presentation. I use them in my projects and I suggest we use them in the kit.

Lgreen,

As far as I understand the KSA-50 design, the values that you used can be treated as “perfect match” for the same reasons mentioned above.