Krell KSA 100mkII Clone

bobgroger said:
Conrad seems to be best bang for buck

Bob,

imo, none of the big Conrad heatsink series will suffice for a full (100w) bias KSA100. (assuming a classic 2-side heatsink case) You'll need a huge heatsink surface for a passive cooled KSA100.
Conrads 6" high MF18 series will, 6 to 8 of them per channel, buying those in bulk might be even more attractive. (afaik the only wider flange series Conrad carries)

Hi Ar2,
I just had a look at the data.
27.5Cdeg temp rise for 40W dissipation.
KSA100 disspates about 270W/channel.
You need about 14 off by 8inch lengths of this for two channels.

Have I read that correctly?

There won't be enough left, from your 16feet, for another two channels to sell on.

$70/8' or $70/8"?
if it's $70/8" then your sinks will cost $980+fees/taxes/transport per stereo set.

Have you thought this through?

Hi Andrew, I am not using these heat sinks for Krell. I already have a 8 of these heat sinks and I need a few more, obviously in the same style and size. That is the reason of starting a GB. Callculation wise, I believe you are correct, for pasive cooled amp you do need a lot of heatsinking. In any big Pass lab class A amp they will have between 12 or 16 of these type of sinks between two monoblocks. It is almost imposible to find that amount of same style used, so the only option is to buy (besides fan cooled) I tried to buy but than I need to buy a whole rail.:mad:

Re: Output heat sinks

bobgroger said:
Is anyone seriously interested in a GB for heat sinks? I am planning on 4 monoblocks (8 heatsinks). We should be able to come up with a decent order given the board interest. Conrads seem to be best bang for buck, but I am open for suggestions. Saw here somewhere estimate for .09C\W? .18C\W X2 per channel? Does this sound right, or was that for 2 channels?

Bob G.

There was a past GB on this KL-271 heatsink, which you can search for. Several teams, including the Leach Amp folks, have recommended it for its specs. Expect to pay about $65-$70 for a 12" long and 8" high(fin direction) black anodized, ribbed-fin KL-271.

Attachments

• kl-271_hs.jpg
    kl-271_hs.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 870
AR2, that is a little spendy for me. For just a few more dollars I could buy a real Krell..

Chantal, any idea on pricing for this?

I am pretty sure a big fan is in my future. I am shooting for <$500 total parts cost per monoblock. This will for sure require some eBay parts and design compromise.

Bob G.

jacco vermeulen said:

Loekie,
if you have plans for a Blower KSA100 (if you can't afford the Bentley) and want to go Double Dutch on a brandnew fan duct assembly for 50 Dolares, check out the sales page=> PRESS

That looks promising. From what I could tell from the specs (disclaimer: Math and I don't get along) 1 of these looks like it should handle 1 channel easily. I will send them a mail and see sending to USA is possible. Thanks for the tip, Jacco

:D

That Seofert tunnel is a slick design sonce you can stack how ever many sections you need.

Board Update:

I checked yesterday and we are about three weeks out still.... bumped by a large Gov't order and the Holidays. The boards should be here the third week of this Jan. This is just a bad time of the year to be ordering stuff.

Everyone have a happy and safe New Year... and keep on gathering KSA-100 parts!

Mark

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
That Seifert tunnel is a slick design since you can stack how ever many sections you need.

Or split it.
If the last of the KL800.7 is still there, i'll divide it into two 12-device sections. (+ get me a pair of the KL800.3s) It's the only one without the TO3 hole patterns, boring me and the big Jappy devices again.

Bob,
it's a wholesale/distributor store, the sale items are usually c&c.
Find out what the rate of shipping them over to US soil is.
If you still find the total of the $50+shipping attractive enough, maybe i can help out.
They're basically similar to the original tunnels.
One of those 800.3s handles quite a lot of heat with an airspeed reduced to 6.5 ft/s fan.

Don't blow your arm off with C4 at 0-100 Jan1 guys, i'll do that for ya. :clown:

Was about to hook up my Klixon cut off thermostats that are mounted to each heat sinks but suddenly had the thought that instead of hooking them to the AC power that they ought to be hooked into the KSA-100 circuit someplece... perhaps into the bias circuit to cut the bias to a very low level in case of over heat. Is this feasable to do in the KSA-100 circuit? I don't want to be sending any audio through that switch.

Thanks for any insight on how to do this!

Mark

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Was about to hook up my Klixon cut off thermostats that are mounted to each heat sinks but suddenly had the thought that instead of hooking them to the AC power that they ought to be hooked into the KSA-100 circuit someplece...
Mark

I think if overheating is detected by a coarse sensor there is a serious problem and the AC power should be removed. The fan may have broken, something may be blocking the airflow, etc..

I have a small micro switch on my Class-A amp PCB that allows me to set either a high or a low bias. The switch is easy to tap from a the vent holes on top of the amp.