Krell KSA 100mkII Clone

I am pretty sure thier large can psu caps of amps of that vintage are from "Capacitor Technologies". Whether they are still around I don't know. I see the same caps in old telecom psus from time to time.

My Krell 50 Klone coincidentally has the same caps as an original, minus a couple uf.... from telecom psu of course
:)

edit: Mark and Pwatts (and others involved)... very commendable job! I am looking forward to listening to mine;)

Considering that pretty much everything Krell used in the originals were low quality (with the exception of the transformers), there's no point really in trying to recreate the past besides nostalgic purposes.

Look at the newer types such as BHC Aerovox, BC Components, Mallory, Nichicon, Chemicon et al. Mundorf's 47000uF 80V M-Lytic would be a super choice, but at $132 each hardly cheap.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the kind welcome.

I have one more of the tunnels that I used for my KSA 50 clone. It holds 12 devices. I had hoped to get both channels on it. I suppose I could convert my first Clone over to a KSA 100 monoblock and then build another to go with it. Would 6 pair per channel be better/worse than 4 pair? I have plenty more of the outputs that I used on the KSA 50.

I haven't been using the Krells since I built the Symasym. :angel:

Now that the weather is getting colder I may start using them again.

Blessings, Terry

Hi,
I am using 6pair (230W plastic) with twin drivers (not built yet- I will never achieve your productivity) on my proposed 50 Klone.

Why not do the same on a real 100 Klone?

Maybe I would do better going straight to 100 K, but my sinks might be a little small for the extra 10V on each rail.

ps, I'm not so sure about the welcome ;) after you said Sym..., Now PASS is acceptable :hot: . I hope Mike is not listening. :eek:

PWatts said:
Considering that pretty much everything Krell used in the originals were low quality (with the exception of the transformers), there's no point really in trying to recreate the past besides nostalgic purposes.

Look at the newer types such as BHC Aerovox, BC Components, Mallory, Nichicon, Chemicon et al. Mundorf's 47000uF 80V M-Lytic would be a super choice, but at $132 each hardly cheap.

Yep, I hear you...hence the clown face in my previous post. IMHO Powerlytics aren't too shabby, Industrial stuff I play with is littered with them and I've yet to see the cap be the root of a failure. No matter though. I personally will go with whatever the surplus market throws at me. There has got to be a surplus source for the outputs! Just haven't found it yet:(

I'm so damn cheap :nod: ;)

Caps...........hm?

PWatts:

PWatts: you forgot to mention the RIFAs, I dont think anything beats their PEH169 (85 or 105 C degrees)-series (ok, I saw you wrote"et al." ;) )

BTW, RIFA is now the owner of the BHC-Aerovox company.

I have done a small research for caps and the pricing. I searched for caps for this amp and I tried to start a GB for big electrolytic capacitor (diam. 3 inches x h. 5 1/4 inch).

If there is an interests for a GB I can do it but I feel the prices outside Norway is better.

This was the results for my quote request for two brands of computer grade electrolytics: (post #18, Nippon Chemi-Con and RIFA)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85017&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Have not done anythng on any group buty at this point in time. Too busy with work and getting this proto up and running. I sonder of Floedstrom has done anything else with the tranny group but...?

Mark

Mark, I havnt yet received any answer from Avel for my last e-mail regarding some important issues, especially shipping directly to members in a near future GB for "Krell"-transformers (if there will be any interest for this)

Mark: congrats for your excellent prototyping-work and it sounds very promising so far.

Last week I was busy designing a power board (PCB) for the outputs (I intend to also mount the drivers to this board right on at the big heat sinks). Only problem now is to make a film because the layout is longer than my A-4 film sheets are!!??? :xeye:

Regards :cool:

Ping to Still4Given

Terry,
I KNEW you couldn't stay away! Definitely use the parts you can from your KSA-50 and build this baby. It is just the thing to keep you busy until Thanksgiving. Mark said I don't seem as interested, but I told him I am not good with multi-tasking like he is. I'm am going to get a working 12b4 linestage up and running before I even look at what this project needs. But you can bet I am in for it. How can I say no, when I bought a monster chassis at the local Air Force base? It was for the KSA 50, but when Mark saw it...his comment was, "That could house 2 KSA 50's...or ONE KSA 100!!!"
Sounds like a plan...:smash:

still4given said:
I haven't been using the Krells since I built the Symasym. :angel:

:)

The Symasym is excellent, but it just doesn't supply the power to control difficult loads like the Krell. I like them both, but I can see me using them for different things. Currently I'm pondering using the Symasym on mid high duties with the Krell driving the bottom end on my long delayed Kef, Audax and Calrad project. Perhaps even fully three way with a Mini A on the top.

Pinkmouse

My understanding is that if you use feed three amps the same signal, each amp output will not be complete phase with the other-hence the recommendation that one should always use the same model/make of amp when tri-amping.

I would then presume that some correction would then be required to get all three amps output to comply to the same phase characteristics of the input?

Jozua