• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Kofi Annan in: "Push and Pull with Me"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kofi Annan said:
More updates...

I changed the makeup of the NFB circuit today. The cathode resistor is now around 700R and the feedback resistor is down from 8.4K to about 4.6K with a 470pF mica bypass cap. I think this one's the winner.

It sounds natural and not as stifled as the original configuration and it really needed more correction than I had going with the 8.4K NFB resistor.

I'll play it for a week and see how it sounds but I had a little... uh... accident while I was soldering.

I guess I was manhandling the third pin (cathode) on one of the E88CCs and it snapped off. I managed go get it back in and I soldered it back into the socket, but I'm guessing a responsible person would remove the entire socket and engage in a do over.

Right?

Kofi?

If you are talking about the contact that is in the socket, most of the different types are removeable. Simply replace the broken one with a good one from a spare socket. If you inspect the spare closely, it should be fairly obvious how they are retained in the socket, and therefore how they can be carefully removed.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.