Kit in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Thanks again to both of you, your combined knowledge not only compliments each other but is beneficial and just plain awesome and inspiring for an aspiring young audio enthusiast!

What makes you think that I'm not learning anything here??

There is always something to learn and I am getting as much out of this particular thread as you are I think.

Matt:-( it took me thirty years to become a good trade cook, I've only been building speakers for 5 years:xeye: So I have a LOT of learning to do :D

My first book purchase was by David Weems and GR Koonce ( because it was on sale for $10 at Dick Smith ) "Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual"
Although the disk with the computer programs ONLY works with Windows 98 in a DOS window.

Did the amplifier arrive yet?? If so what parts can you use?

I was thinking that if you can get some help on the electronics side you could separate the pre-amp section and make use of the inputs; might save you a little work, might being the operative word there:D

I now have list of about 9 books that I'll take to my library.

Did the amplifier arrive yet?? If so what parts can you use?
I have a post office notification so I'm guessing it's waiting for me down there. :)

I just found one of dad's old amps that I ripped apart (with permission ;) ), in which I should be able to salvage a nice big heatsink (for further amp builds) and there's a few nice nichion 4700uF power caps that'll fit nicely in the buffer (i think).

Rabbitz, thanks for those explanations on the bracing.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Matt + Rabbitz
One of the interesting things about this particular thread is that it is only 3-way, we have had very few others drop in and ask questions or offer advice.

Perhaps because it does seem to be a condensation of beginners advice?/ or is it because once the drivers had been decided on there was nothing other people wanted to add??

It's a lean mean fighting machine.

The design was locked in early with the crossover and drivers by Ralph Waters. I tried to compliment that with a box design within the choices made by Matt.

I think there's little for others to add but there has been a lot of viewers. I sure there are a few that want to see how things pan out and maybe pickup some tips. It's turned into a bit of a learning / teaching thread. I view a lot of threads I don't partake in but find I can learn a lot or find them interesting.

It's good in one way as design by committee rarely works and went through that in the reference speaker thread where there were a lot of suggestions but nothing evolved. So the thread originator x. onasis and myself bit the bullet and put up a design that was fit for the purpose. He built, I supplied the numbers and he tweaked. I eventually built my own and it gradually evolved into a nice little speaker. There's been a lot built and some have tried all the variations of crossovers out of interest and to see which were better and tended to confirm my choices. So I got to have several testers to check my line of thought and that's very cool as it's a rare opportunity. They and myself learned a lot plus we got a cool little speaker. I continued to evolve the design just because I had different tweeters and parts available.

Considering we've cracked over 2500 views, I think it's been a beneficial thread for more then just us posters.

Your amp is here Ted, on first inspection I should be able to use the heatsink inside. But all the inputs are PCB mounted. I'll have a look through the caps on it tommorow and I'll try to work out what the transformer values are.

Hopefully dad'll purchase the wood soon and I'll order crossover parts/get into Jaycar in the next week.

The drivers are sitting in my room screaming out to be used.

Matt

I've got some left over bits which I will send up to help with the build. Supra speaker wire terminated for the driver spades plus some for the terminal to crossover, 2 speaker terminals, driver gaskets, driver screws and some tag strips. I'll also put in some inductor wire which is handy when making connections / links in the crossover.... just scrape off the enamel before soldering.

Send me an email with your address details and I'll send off a satchel on Monday.... no charge as it's excess stuff.

I've been talking to lazyfly on the phone and he's packing the LM3886 for posting next week.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Matt I hope you have a digital camera so you can properly document the build through all stages, we like pictures.

Don't throw out the foam box, it will be handy for storage of drivers and parts, if you do not already have some a few divided plastic boxes to keep bits in are handy, as is a small tool box for the soldering iron and other stuff; drop broad hints around birthday and Christmas time.

Participating in this thread has made me enthusiastic to get back into a build, but; there is another subwoofer box that needs to be built first, then a couple of TLs for the 12 inch Cerwin Vega drivers, before I can complete the big OB design

Matt

It's not all that much different from the one he gave you and is on post #27 and I sketched on post #33. With this one he's taken a bit more out of the top end and upper mid to give it more of a downward tilt at the top or add a bit more BSC. The first one is a bit flatter.

Usually a crossover has to be tweaked to suit the gear, room and tastes so don't sweat on it. We will not know until it's fired up and you've done some listening.

BTW.... your package was posted today so should arrive about Friday.

Rabbitz, got your package. Thanks! That box of goodies will save so much time!

Just to let you both know, I won't start the build until these school holidays. Exams and assignments are an unfortunate priority at the moment. Hopefully I'll have all the cables, the amp and the crossovers ready to go though. :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Painful, broken a knee-cap and collar bones before myself so look after your self.
I hope it was done doing something worthwhile, like falling off skis or playing football.

The drivers won't deteriorate in a month, how about some pictures of the cast??
Show off a little ( war wounds and all that )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.