Kenwood KX-50 service manual

Hey guys, I'm inexperienced in the realm of tape decks, walkman, etc. I recently bought a Kenwood KX-50 tape deck. The tape deck turns on, however, it doesn't play anything. So I opened it up and a lot of the belts had melted. The ones which were still intact were very stretched... So I went onto ebay and bought a 'kit', only to later realise upon the arrival of the kit, that the kit only contained 2 belts - I needed all 5...
I see that HifiEngine has the service manual which - I hope - may contain the measurements for the belts. I figured that I could buy some cheap belts from AliExpress which are similar in size to the originals. I just can't find the measurements of the orignals, so my plan is being halted. HifiEngine's registerations seem to be closed as well which I find quite bizarre... I was wondering if there's a kind person out there which can help me get a hold of the measurements or service manual from HifiEngine or any other site which can provide either. I also tried ElectroTanya but to no avail... Thank you very much in advance!

Hi there,

I had the same problem with an Onkyo TA-630D (melted belts) and bought a kit of 'universal' belts which had usable belts, surprisingly. Maybe that might be the way to go. That was over ten years ago and the player is still used and working fine. Unfortunately the vendor of that kit has closed down, but there are quite a few sellers of various generic kits. You may need to buy a set of those thin square section belts and a set of flat, if they don't come together (and your machine has both types - mine did).

As an aside, that melted rubber is extremely difficult to remove. From memory I used a petrol like product (called Shellite here, which is just like Naphtha chemically, also known as lighter fluid), and also acetone. I takes a lot of work to get that stuff off the pulleys.

Cheers

Stuey

Which version do you have, the original or MKII?

These originally came from hifi engine.
I think I have the original since I couldn't find any signs of a "MKII" marking on the tape deck. Thank you very much for providing the service manual! They don't give the measurements but I did a quick search using the belt's names and I found the measurements :D!
There are likely others that do.
True true, but I've already spent too much on this tape deck (there's also shipping costs I'd have to pay for, which I don't wanna pay :ROFLMAO:). I think I'll go with AliExpress and then if I'm unhappy with the quality, I'll order the actual ones... Thank you so very much again! I really appreciate the help!

Reactions: 1 user
As an aside, that melted rubber is extremely difficult to remove. From memory I used a petrol like product (called Shellite here, which is just like Naphtha chemically, also known as lighter fluid), and also acetone. I takes a lot of work to get that stuff off the pulleys.
I wish I knew that before :cry:! I struggled so much trying to get that goo off the pulleys. I first used isopropyl alcohol but it hardly had an effect. I used some generic kitchen stain remover in the end and it sort of did the job, but it was still quite difficult to use :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
KuroWaffle, I'm also replacing the belts in my KX-50R. I didn't have success searching for sizes with the p/ns. Can you provide the belts sizes you found? Kevinkr, Thanks for the manuals.

Attachments

• 16918617018228550028761059307448.jpg
    16918617018228550028761059307448.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 56
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Arunas62,
Observations. Is the capstan motor turning? There is often a tape detect switch opposite the heads, or a pin poking out. This detects an inserted cassette and often turns the capstan motor on.

Or ... is the tape turning and you have no sound? Let us know as much as you can. For a manual, Google search may find one. Even if you have to pay $10 for it, the manual is well worth it.