Kenwood KA-405

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your welcome :)

As it happens I'm just listening to a 7 (seven duals) op-amp tone evaluating LM4562's vs TLE2072 vs NE5532.

Describing sonic differences is not easy. My own personal description of the 4558 vs later audio oriented devices would be like comparing a £$€800 CD player vs a £$€100 one. Its that kind of difference in sonics, one that's pretty noticeable but hard to describe. But... there's nothing wrong knowing the sort of sound you like.

Another mad thought I had was whether your 2604 was a genuine device or something else although it "looks" OK from the picture.
:) Yes, I'm aware of a "parallel" industry counterfeiting even the most tech advanced products including from major brands. I think my supplier is quite reliable source (although we never know) and I've been very happy so far.

Just took a picture of my OPA2604:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interesting you know of these fast operational amplifiers. Have you ever tried the LME49860? Impressive numbers aren't them?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've never tried any of the LME series tbh. Yes the raw numbers are impressive for many modern devices although its easy to get carried away. A slew rate of around 1v/us is "enough" for an opamp to reproduce anything a CD player can throw at it even at max rail to rail output levels. That's essentially 741 opamp territory. Not that I'm suggesting we should be using 741's :D

What does seem to have a big influence on sound quality is the distortion spectrum of a particular device (relationship of 2nd to 3rd to 4th harmonic etc), not just the raw numbers.

Samuel Groners "Operational Amplifier Distortion" is an interesting reference. Post #53 here (its a 35mb pdf file)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...pamp-measurement-shoot-out-3.html#post1658404

And your 2604 as far as I can tell looks genuine. The package with the "large" circular drilling is correct and the print looks correct too.

This morning I collected the 5532. Another test, same procedure, but different track (Spy In House Of Love) listened several times.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Assuming the above product is not counterfeited (doesn't have same marks of the BB's 2604), the sound is nice indeed.

Lows and highs are much more balanced. Basses are tight and highs are very open. The previous 4565 was really good on the vocals (very, VERY detailed), I spent few hours listening to with it in yesterday.

But I'll leave the whole thing like it is now (with the NE5532 in it). :)

Last edited:
Thanks, folks! :)

It's been very nice indeed to have your support, suggestions and guidance. I really enjoy it!

Hope the discussion on opamps and other stuff here cited can help somebody else like me in the future.

Below, the final picture of the KA-405 playing my favorit FM station: Sublime FM ;)

Good ...Add kip sate in my payment !!!:D:D:D:D
Thank you, Sakis! Ever in the NL, and I'll be glad to offer it you plus a Hoegaarden as well! :D

Obrigado, amigo.

The amp is sounding fine so far (playing right now).

I'm pushing it to some extremes by listening to some tracks with a deep bass sound, the best way to form the power caps.

Not sure, but I have a set of 3x 3300uF 100V caps per rail feeding the power supply. Maybe these need even more time to get "fully ready", but I'm not sure about this.

Picture shows another set (4x3300uF 100V) for another amp.

I read a few times that electrolytic capacitors can sometimes have really unstable behaviour, specially if they are single ones (one per rail). But this is not the reason I chose them instead of a single big power cap and I don't think it worths all these worries at the end. I just didn't want to spend a lot of money buying even a Nichicon PW series (they are very good). I use multiple small caps in parallel to reach a very low ERS plus extra ripple current for LESS than buying a single "brand" big can. And I can buy them close to home (same day) and without paying further shipping cost.

Further better sonic results I'm having now after recapped my speakers. They had very old bipolar electrolytics and I put a good Wima cap and the low ends are the way I like! :)

Last edited:
I have just bought one of these, and i was going through its schematics - mostly its input selector.
It appears to be a 4 pole, 4 position switch, two poles are used for input selection, while the other two poles are used to short
Phono when tuner is used
Tuner when any of the other inputs are used.
to GROUND. and with no resistors in series with the inputs on the tuner.

Why would they set up the second pair of poles to do this - what does it achieve?
And I'm a bit worried about hooking anything to the tuner inputs - because it might end up shorted if it doesn't have output protection?

vOtIro1.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Prevention of signal breakthrough from the non selected inputs would be the logical reason.

Any normal source component should be OK operating into a short, it is more likely modern so called 'audiophile' designs that might be poorly protected against that scenario.

In that respect the Kenwood is a 'quality match' for the gear that was around at the time it was current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.