KEF Reference 101 Loudspeakers. Crossover update

Guys, I picked up nice pair of KEF Coda 3's. Looking at upgrading the crossovers as a little project. I'm thinking a direct swap-out of the components (maybe only caps). Can I get a recommendation on brand and where to source them? Looking to pair with my Arcam Alpha 6. I'm relatively new to audio dyi. Cheers.

Kef Reference 101 Loudspeakers

not having the benefit of being able to directly compare before and after I'd say the sound is an improvement, mainly the 'texture' of the sound being more realistic, instruments having better 'colour' not meaning the sound is coloured!

Oh. I was hoping you would change just one to compare with the original, before changing the other.

Question regarding this (now) old post
I just bought a pair of early Kef 101"s and am looking inside the cabinet.
Woofer detached. I can see the filter. Bottom screw is removed.

But on some other pages it is suggested the entire bottom should drop out.
Is there more then one KEF 101 version (apart from the latter /2 and /3 etc) ??

How to remove the filter??

Would like to see photos .. hopefully one a list of value, type, mfg of crossover caps. I just bought an Ref101 which was recapped with all Falcon electrolytics. Seems harsh on top end when compared to Rogers LS3/5A and Spendor S3/5. But I do not see room to fit Dayton, Mundorf or Solen audio grade film caps.
Best,
Jim

Hello!
Having the opportunity to compare their Kef 101 with Linn Kan acoustics, it turned out that subjectively Kef has the middle range in the background, and Linn sticks out forward. The difference is big! Hence the question, does anyone have an original Kef-101 crossover circuit? The circuit, which here on the forum differs from my circuit by the nominal value of the inductor, I measured the inductance of the coils in my Kef 101 crossovers, it turned out as if the 1.8mH and 1.2mH coils were mixed up in places. Soldering seems to be factory, I want to figure out where it is right.

Sorry, I'm writing through a translator

Attachments

• 2020-11-19 11.10.18.JPG
    2020-11-19 11.10.18.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 306
  • KEF_R101_crossover.jpg
    KEF_R101_crossover.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_4998.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_5001.jpg
    IMG_5001.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 231
Hi AD,

Although the soldering may look factory, those axial film capacitors aren't! I'm talking about the red and white ones.

I have a pair of 103/2s and they have the soldering flux everywhere just like yours so I see your point about it looking factory!

The additional film caps may suggest someone has had a play around with the board (unless it was you) and so do the black cable ties holding the inductors, as the original ones are white. So, if the inductors have been removed and swapped around in error, it would change the frequency at which the notch filter operates and also cause a dip from the midrange upwards in frequency, which could explain your observations when comparing with the Linn speakers.

But if both boards are the same it would seem a bit strange...someone making the same mistake on both would be unusual.

Stuey

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm in he process of having my kef 101 recapped.

Would it be prudent to also replace he 4 caps in the protection curcuit?
Does the quality of caps matter for the protection circuit?

I'm going to use the alcap cap set from falcon , but hhey don't include the caps for the protection circuit.

Also some of he resistors for the protection circuit seem to have a white powdery coating.
I guess this isn't normal?

Thanks.

Имеет ли значение качество колпачков для схемы защиты?
Hello! The capacitor in the protection circuit will not affect the sound. But at the entrance, 4 pieces must be changed! In my kefas, the nominal value deviates from the norm. old age. The quality of these capacitors affects the sound!

IMG_4998 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: