KEF Q150’s arrived….let the harvest and progress begin!

So the Q150’s showed up this morning…..$350 shipped to my door…..not a bad deal for a pair of cutting edge Coax drivers and a pretty decent crossover if you intend to listen slightly off axis.

First order of business will be to see if that resonance wiggle in the response between 1-2khz is enclosure related so I’ll do some measures on a flat open baffle outside. It’s a minor abberation and be honest, it never really bothered me with my pair that I use for nearfield clinical mix monitors from time to time…..but this has become a lot about nothing site these days so let’s identify and address it if possible.

Second order of business will be to follow my recent thoughts and mount and measure the drivers in a sphere….let’s see what the DI looks like from 400hz and up. The sphere will start out with a variable aperoidic vent and a 2nd order highnpass on the Uni Q……see how loud these can go when that little cone isn’t asked to play bass……the tweeter looks somewhat stressed in Erin’s power compression measures but some of that might be thermal and pressure gradient.

Reactions: 2 users
Following... ! My two pairs are still both in daily use as such, but I see great potential in this project.

I guess you could use a flat screen/plate to negate box edge effects? Or will you dismantle the speakers anyway?

By the way I just read a review of Morel Avyra speakers. Box has nice roundovers, made with CNC... Some kind of wooden laminate or paint finish look fantastic!

https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3890-morel-avyra-633

1713983287845.png

Estonian Estelon speakers look fantastic too!
1713983515223.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user