Kef 105.3 assembling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear friends,
I have made a pie, I have gotten off completely the 105.3, doesn't remember anymore now the connections. I thought it was easy to reassemble her, instead I don't understand if the woofers are in phase, if the mid low they go to out phase.
To ear I have climbed on the woofers between them in out phase, the mid low in comparison to the woofers in out phase, so it seems to play well.
Him UNI-Q besides that he has not been gotten off, he has always played with a strong exaltation toward the 3 KHzes with very nasal sound. Now from when I have reversed the phase on the TW it seems to play very well and linear. do I ask you besides, is it possible that in this crossover they are only there condensers electrolytes not polarized? they are not too much cheap? what does it mean LL initials on the condensers from 7 mFs used for UNI-Q? (they seem normal electrolytes not polarized). Help me, SANDOR626 from Italy

The wires to each of the drivers are colour coded. At KEf we always used a consistent code to signify which colours were for tweeter, midrange etc, and also which were positive and negative.
Unfortunately I no longer remember what is what.
Let me know what colours you have and I may possibly remember and be able to help.
Also, the xover is built on a printed circuit board that is attached to the rear panel. The circuit board should be screen printed with the details of the connections.
If you remove the panel you should have the info you need, but this time ta.ke pictures as you dismantle, just in case :).
Also, I can confirm that all the capacitors are non-polar types.

Andrew

Kef colour code

Look here

Attachments

• kefcolourcode.gif
    kefcolourcode.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 807
This great number of components is necessary to guarantee a flat answer of the form impedance (4 ohm as a pure resistance).
Kef was famous for the complexity of his crossovers -

The sketch has made it another member of the Forum named Clem_o, from Manila, nevertheless you could be wrong in some point, because the crossovers were built custom for every exemplary of 105/3, some inductances or condensers or resistances are of different value to contain the peak of resonance of the tweeters within 0,5 db ( Reference series)

Also I look for the original sketch of kef crossover 105/3

hi

sandor626 said:

Kef was famous for the complexity of his crossovers -

The sketch has made it another member of the Forum named Clem_o, from Manila, nevertheless you could be wrong in some point, because the crossovers were built custom for every exemplary of 105/3

sandor626 hi,
...Yes, they didn't know better.
They had to sell something (like complex xovers).
If Ferrari was complex I would never dream of driving one...

So, in Manila, Clem_o, he builts custom for every exemplary of Kef 105/3?! or is it from the Kef factory?
I don't know what drivers are used in 105.3 anyway, do you have a picture of them?

Nice, sandor626.
What is the configuration, ...MTM + ST on top? ..with a single woofer inside or a double pair? (I can see from your xover pic that is a push-pull or isobarik configuration) What year is it (+/-)? (Is not a Dr. Joseph D'Appolito design, is it?) I very much like it, I only regret the xover. If there is anything I can do please feel free.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.