Karlson Tube 3-way Koncept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(if ever can find a magic marker, I'll partially slit a long stub and see what that does to the input Z)

for HF in a HT system (and presumably a big system) Alan Weiss shortened the K-tube to a mini-klam which attached to standard bolt-on Eminence driver - perhaps 1.5" long - I made a crude version with posterboard and masking tape
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've always had good result with K-tubes from say ~1K2 and up crossover but have not tried much in the way of a midrange tube. A standard K-coupler is good for as far up as things go and many woofer and woofer coaxial will sound pretty good up to a 2K5 to 3K crossover.

even some 18" speaker can be used in 2-way systems

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

put some decent headphones on - here's a "standard" 5.3" long pvc 1"ID K-tube taped on a stub and jammed into the mouth of an Eminence C15CX (old cast frame series coax with 95oz magnet) - compression driver is a Selenium 205ti and the enclosure a sealed rear chamber Karlson type klam. It was playing very loud to get some dB on the low sensitivity setting of my camera. There was probably enough back chamber to vent the klam but it didn't happen.

koaxial Karlson type klam playing a bit of Nokie Edwards and Adventure "Autumn Leaves" speaker demo - YouTube

Hi Wolf,

When I get around to the build, I'll absolutely bring it to the next InDIYana.

What would be perfect is if I could then sell them to someone there. Part of the reason this build has been back-burnered is that these would need more depth than I can afford in my living room layout. I don't want to build them and then just put them in storage.

I could do a compromise build with the mid and treble over a more standard bass enclosure that would be shallow enough for my space, but I'm really drawn to the 3-way K-tube concept as it's currently outlined, and I really want to see how the bass tube performs.

Last edited:
I am have alot of trouble finding out how to figure out the dimensions of these k-tube wave guides. Does anyone know exactly what the length and width should be for the given cutoff frequencies? I plan on using the k-tube above 900 hertz as I heard someone says that distortion increases below this threshold.
Do you think the k-tube sounds better than say a tractrix or le cleach or sectoral?

make one in this size range for a reference

1" inside diameter with 5.3" long half ellipse slot

typical elevation of a tube

the dimensions are so small that lower frequencies fold back - a large mounting baffle would offset some of the foldback.

Zobsky has long tube which looks interesting - - the tube's inside diameter should probably be the same as the driver's exit.

Last edited:
Does anyone know exactly what the length and width should be for the given cutoff frequencies? I plan on using the k-tube above 900 hertz as I heard someone says that distortion increases below this threshold.

That sounds like I would have said that, backed up by some measurements too.

Make sure your driver's recommended Xo frequency is not higher than the crossover frequency you want to use. The tube should be at least long enough to be half-wave long at that frequency. 343m-s / 900Hz / 2 = 0.19m in your case. It's probably safer to de-rate the spec sheet power handling by a factor of 4 if not 8, but that should still be plenty of SPL for home use. Ultimately, measuring distortion and output and choosing the best usable point is ideal.

I can see how larger diameter tubes could run into problems up high in frequency, but 1" is a good spot IMO and avoids possibly awkward transitions. Opinion and data is not definitive on that, but a ~1"-2" un-slotted section at the base may slightly increase power handling and lower distortion, but can introduce a dip above 1kHz.

I mostly used the Transylvania Tube, 1" I.D. and 5.3" long, no un-slotted "stub" base section, pictured above on an angled module. Distortion rising at ~900Hz corresponds to sqrt(2)*¼-wavelength of 5.3", maybe only a coincidence. ½-wavelength is ~1275Hz and I mostly used it around 1500Hz myself. The BMS 4550 did have usable output down to ~800Hz IIRC, with rising distortion though.

I'm now used to CD-waveguides mostly, but also listened to a DIY petal 700Hz tractrix I made a while ago. I have not done A/B comparison very much, but all of these have something going for them IMO. A PVC K-tube is probably one of the easiest and fastest WG anyone can kludge at home.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.