Karlson Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes - Karlson can have very pretty vocals and highs - I've been pleasantly surprised by a couple of12" fullrange in K12 including University UC122. - - - regarding the 3/4 scale cabinets - were the shelf gaps kept fully in scale? Karlson can sound great on bowed bass - even the 12 with higher cutoff. There may have been 3 versions of factory Karlson Twelve - all the same size externally. None had the front shelf.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yes, theyt are 0.75 scale.

I'm not interested in posting on that forum, But possibly I could post one picture of it on my website.

I built these about 20 years ago and have been using them ever since, However strange as it sounds, I just screwed them together for a quick test.

But they worked so good, I never took them apart again to Actually "GLUE" and Screw them together.

I'll see what I can do and than I'll post my website Link.

However, Presently I am going throug a Medical Problem. I have a Spot on my Right lung. Now need to be checked for cancer in it.

Take care...Gary

hey Gary - nice work - you'll be in my thoughts and prayers
back in the 90's a friend built ~0.8 scaled K15 to K12 for my bass guitar use - they had two 3"x3" ports - later I covered those and and cut a central port like K15 - I might try this again but like yours -- MDF was way too heavy to carry - aperture at top may have been too tight
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I stumbled across a pair of Karlsons by accident :) I am so excited to try them out. One of the mounted speakers is a JBL D130, which only seems to have 0,75mm xmax (looked it up at thielesmallparameters), the other one is a cheap noname...
So I am wondering which speakers I should put in. The shelf is loaded with all kinds of eminence and many other 15s. Is a low Qts and high EBP recommendable like with hornloading in generell?

oliverclam.jpg

This is a drawing made from the Oliver "power Projector". A PA speaker made in the 70's which mounted on a stand, and used a 6 X 9 (car speaker apparently) to produce a vocal projection speaker. It had a pretty nice dispersion across the listener field. They made larger versions as well. Perhaps the only commercial use in the music field besides Acoustic Control Corporation making bass guitar cabinets using the Karlson principles.

I stumbled onto this thread while looking for Stromberg-Karlson Acoustic Labyrinth and Bose Acoustic Wave info. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

POWERPROJECTOR.jpg

oliverclam.jpg

This is a drawing made from the Oliver "power Projector". A PA speaker made in the 70's which mounted on a stand, and used a 6 X 9 (car speaker apparently) to produce a vocal projection speaker. It had a pretty nice dispersion across the listener field. They made larger versions as well. Perhaps the only commercial use in the music field besides Acoustic Control Corporation making bass guitar cabinets using the Karlson principles.

I stumbled onto this thread while looking for Stromberg-Karlson Acoustic Labyrinth and Bose Acoustic Wave info. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

POWERPROJECTOR.jpg

BRILLIANT !

Sky hook mounted, upside down scoop, way ahead of it's time.

Karlson was a genius.

Karlson K-15 or Karlson X-15 ???

I stumbled across a pair of Karlsons by accident :) I am so excited to try them out. One of the mounted speakers is a JBL D130, which only seems to have 0,75mm xmax (looked it up at thielesmallparameters), the other one is a cheap noname...
So I am wondering which speakers I should put in. The shelf is loaded with all kinds of eminence and many other 15s. Is a low Qts and high EBP recommendable like with hornloading in generell?

Hi Sabbelbacke

Which Karlson's have you got, K-15 or X-15 ???

What drivers did you try in the Karlsons ?

Cheers

Simon
:cool:

Hm, hard to tell, how do i know if its x-15 or k-15?
The above mentioned JBL was used, now the cabs are empty and I´d like to try them out with some new drivers.

Hi again Sabbelbacke

Also on IDing your Karlson cabinets:-
K15 = 33 inches high
X15 = 27 3/4 ins high

I am probably going to make 15" Karslon myself.
Haven't decided which yet.
May K15 or X15 or even make either:-
Walter Zintz's KHYBOE 15"
or
Acoustic Control 115BK 15"

I am looking for a VERY low resonance 15" with good top end to 2K ish.
I have a short-list of ONE at the moment having spent ages looking.

Beyma SM115/N.

It has Res of 29 Hz for nice super-lows in the 'K' and looks good for X-over at 2K or lower if you want.
Check it out, see what you think.
There are loads of 15's out there, but not many with low Hz res.
It's not a cheapie, but it's not expensive either IMO

Cheers

Simon

Hm, hard to tell, how do i know if its x-15 or k-15?
The above mentioned JBL was used, now the cabs are empty and I´d like to try them out with some new drivers.

Hi Karlson fans

Has anyone with 'K's or otherwise used the 2" compression drivers by Eminence & P-Audio.

I would be interested to hear what you think of them & what horn or guide you used.

Cheers

Simon

I´ve used them (although not in the karlsons) all. You get what you pay for.. They are both not too expensive, but lose clearly when in competition to BMS, Beyma, 18Sound (which all are way more expensive). Frequency range, max SPL and distortion are superior in the more expensive types.
If 1kHz is enough and used @home, better go for a smaller driver. BMS4554 i.e. is not too expensive and sounds great. Of course, the 2" Eminence is more robust and can be driven down to 800Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.