KarlD's FH XL Alpair 10.3M Copper build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I suspected, lazy finishing. Either that or the finisher isn't accustomed to wood. I see open pores and uneven surface. Gloss finishes should to be rubbed out with wet or dry paper and polishing compound. Unfortunately this is quite a bit more work than actually spraying the finish. A skilled finisher can sand back the next to last coat and do the last one off the gun, but I'm not sure even that was done here.

You could still rub it out. Sand back with P600-p2000, and then polish with compounds, but there will still be some sunken pores. Better would be to sand back to flat with P400, and have them shoot another couple coats.

It would have been better to use pore filler, but many people don't know how to use it anymore.

I can only imagine the bad taste this part of the experience has left in your mouth, but at least the sound was not a disappointment.

I use only solvent based NitroCellulose lacquers in my finishing and on the occasion when something goes wrong they're usually much easier to remedy.

I'm annoyed but I expected it tbh. I've never had anyone do anything for me correctly! I thought I'd get someone else to paint them as I'd be bound to ruin it.

But to be fair, he hadn't painted wood before and did say as much. He tried. He does a very good job on cars and I'll certainly still be having him spray the car I'm building.

Do I build another pair of FHXL or do I do trapezoid Mar-Ken10 floor standers? Which are "better"....?

different flavours of drivers, but all quite wonderful in that horn, if I do say so

Karl - try something like the 12PW/A7P MTM? - not as simple a build as the XL (at least as drawn by Dave), and initially intended as active bi-amp, but I'd say a step up from the horns.

edit - oh, and use a small fridge dolly to move them around

Last edited:
Dave, Chris,

Have you considered the A6P with the A12PW? From what I have read, the A6P is a well behaved driver. Worth a shoe-in in your MTM as a proof of concept? May/may not require slightly higher XO vs A7P, but should be workable given wide bandwidth of the A12PW. Efficiency should not be a problem with bi-amping.

"thanks"? Zia - just when I thought I might be able to take a breather - I'll probably find yet more drawings in my e-mail tomorrow -actually that's later this morning

cheers, mother......

that's a trade technical term that can't really be explained here, and might not translate well to all dialects :eek:

Last edited:
Chris, you need something to keep you busy during retirement, right? :D They say a "hobby" is healthy for the body and mind...

Btw, I proposed a "shoe-in" - basically make a mounting disc for the A6P so that you can fix it in place of the Alp 7P. Should not be too tough for a master woodworker like you. Maybe the Alp 6P might need slightly different dimensions, but I am guessing Mr. Duglos can suggest some stuffing changes and help fudge it.

And if you want to do a virgin build, well no one is stopping you...

Btw, which pair are you listening to nowadays? You guys are spoiled for choice... :)

Last edited:
Zia - firstly, I'm not yet retired from my full time day job - those signature lines a while ago were part of an ill-conceived notion to step away from the keyboard a bit - clearly that didn't work.

The particular MTM enclosure referenced included a shoe-horn fit of tapered rear vented TL for the A7P nested between a tightly spaced pair of 12PW per box. The hard part is already done, and the result works quite well. With the 12's very benign extend FR, no doubt a system could be configured with A6, which would presumably require a smaller volume. As I'm preparing to veneer the existing boxes after a short holiday next week, I wouldn't want to modify them - but gee, thanks for inviting Dave to consider yet another design . ;)

My wife might have something to say about the "fresh" build.

What we're listening to depends on the day of the week, or what we're breaking in - right now for me it's a pair of curved panel A7.3 Pensils. I made the front panel removable on this pair, and am waiting for drivers to fully settle in before finalizing stuffing fill and buttoning up and veneering them .
As for Dave - by the time you read / reply further, those FH3s could be swapped out with something else. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.