• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Kailin CMPDH300 Tube Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MYSTERY AMP.

Hi,

Ok so if They are not 300b's Then will the JAN 811A tubes work ?

Quite unlikely.

The best would be to find a way to know what tubes were used originally.

Questions I have regarding the amp are:

Was it a PP?
Or perhaps a PSE?

Can you see any resistor(s) connected to the biggest sockets?
These are likely to be quite big in size,wirewounds probably.

Are there any markings on the OPT that indicate how it is connected,such as do you see two connections on or three?

Where two would indicate a SE amp and three a PP.
Is the primary impedance marked on the OPT,etc,etc.

As you can see,it's not a cut and dried affair.

Cheers,;)

each large socket has these.

Attachments

• res.jpg
    res.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 153
Houston I think we have a problem.

I get no continuity through these . The other three sockets are fine .Also the top one (see pic) looks physically fried. Then there is the broken resister which we spoke of earlier. This is beginning to look more and more like spousel abuse :scratch:
What are these with the arrows ?

Attachments

• res3.jpg
    res3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 204
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE?

Hi,

The more I look at it....:rolleyes:

Ah, well let's look at the bright side,you always have the other channel to find out about that (or those) fried resistors' value.

With all due respect though,this is going to be short of impossible to sort out on this forum.

Short of a small miracle,that is.

My best advice would be to search for a tube technician in your area for help.

Don't get me wrong,I feel we all want to solve this for you...it may take a lot longer than expected this way.

Cheers,;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE?

fdegrove said:
With all due respect though,this is going to be short of impossible to sort out on this forum.

You need to trace out the circuit that is there. It is a piece of detective work i have found is really helpful in understanding how these things work. You could always hop a ferry and come for a visit.

This unit could well end up being a rebuild around the iron & sockets, as opposed to a repair.

dave

I'm still friends with the tech at a store I worked at who carried this amp at one time.
I can check if they have any information on the unit for you.
Tom (the tech) was always good about ordering any manuals for the products they brought into the store. Hopefully he did in this case.
I'll check with him once I get off work today.

That would be excellent.
I am beginning to think one side of this amp got extremely hot.
The glue holding the ceramic resistors on one side is a nice golden color while the glue on the damaged side is black.
I have determined the value of the first resistor as 100 ohms
BR,BL,BR ,gold. +/- 5%
The second in line is 220 kohms R,R,Y,Gold.
So the values are easy enough to come up with.
I expect to redo at least most of one side.

deuey,

Just a warning:

The type of output valves that are used on this amp typically run at 1000 volts and above. This is lethal stuff for people.

Also, most test meters have ranges up to 600 volts or 1000 volts.
Excess volts of this magnitude will instantly destroy the meter.
Even if the voltage you are mesuring is exactly 1000 volts, the slight arc you will see as the meter probe touches, will cause voltage ringing, which will exceed this voltage, and may destroy the meter.

Happy times:)

Cheers,

Yes I see what you mean.
I also see why drawing out the circuit is so important .
I stare at these drawings quite often but they are greek to me.
Maybe not for long.
I won't be sticking any power to the amp until someone qualified can go over it.
I need to order parts some of which I am not sure what they are.
I have someone in mind that I am going to pay a visit to today.
He is trying to build a new shop and I think this is an opportunity for me to horse trade.

Bummer
I have not been able to get the tech to come over. Sudden case of Buisiness . He owes me :)
It is just sitting above my head on the shelf stareing at me every day. I've got it stripped down but I don't want to remove any vitals till I have someone come over.

Bolivar

It sounds like you talked to someone that had this amp in their hands ? Thats interesting.

I have been able to solve what parts are needed as far as resisters go except this . What exactly is it and where might I find it ?

Attachments

• huh.jpg
    huh.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 115
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
deuey said:
I have been able to solve what parts are needed as far as resisters go except this . What exactly is it and where might I find it ?

5 watt, 100 ohm "sand" resistor. I have quite a few of these -- they should be pretty easy to find.

I think you are going to need to trace the circuit to get an idea of what was in there, and then just start from scratch with a new, perhaps related, circuit.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.