• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Kaidee's Simple SE Build Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, I hate to spend more on this project, its well over 500 already, an initially i thought i could pull it off with 300 =(.

Can I trust the "standard" color codes on tubelabs website or are the allied and hammonds wired differently?

oh btw. my hammond's look really really ugly, anyone know how I can make them look like everyone elses? with the black coverings or those little boxes on top?

Sounds like a good "starter project". If you are having a custom enclosure made, make room for the choke and supplementary capacitor. I think that chassis construction is the hardest part of building these things, so if you can make it easier for future upgrades, then you are more likely to experiment/upgrade. I used these capacitors Ebay motor run cap 500VAC 80uF they are only $12. As mentioned above, an inexpensive choke and supplemental cap will probably make the greatest change to your system and don't really cost that much.

nukaidee said:
oh btw. my hammond's look really really ugly, anyone know how I can make them look like everyone elses? with the black coverings or those little boxes on top?

I think he is saying he got the open frame Hammond "universal" transformers. They look something like the Edcors that cjkpkg used on his Simple SE.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1622038#post1622038

The wiring on the Allied 6K7vG power transformer will follow the "industry standard" colors. Yellow is 5v, green is 6.3v, red is the high voltage. The diagrams on the tubelab web site should be helpful.

http://tubelab.com/SimpleSE_wiring.htm

Thanks for all your comments. I think I'll pass on the choke for now and stick to the resistor and my EMI filter. my current plan for the box is 9x12x3" . I think i'll measure the hammonds and see if they fit inside the box, that is a good idea. I can get motor run caps if i really need to locally at a parts surplus store. I am following the wiring on tubelab website and was just wondering if those color codes are safe, I guess it is. I'm just missing a pot now =( but I guess it'll be ok since most of my source is routed through my computer. Maybe the pots can wait unless if there is somewhere that wont charge me more for shipping than the pot ><!

pics finally >.> still no enclosure yet =(

Attachments

• 12202008202-w400.jpg
    12202008202-w400.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 613
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.