KABD-4100 amplifier noise floor

Hey everyone! First time posting in the amp forum!

I have a Dayton KABD-4100 and the thing just hisses, I don't know how to measure it exactly but its very evident and more than I have heard in the past from other amps. I have this powered by a Meanwell Power Supply and when I unplug the input and the control board it just hisses. I have it running on a PC right now and that itself induces additional noise but just sitting there wondering what its doing with its life it just hisses.

Any recommendations on how to effectively lower the hissing on this thing?

This board has 4 headers to connect pots to control different functions. It comes with a SigmaStudio project pre-loaded and according to the user manual "Out of the box, each KABD amplifier is pre-programmed for the potentiometers to have some basic functions,". The user manual shows the function of each pot and two are related to volume control. If you're not using the volume control pots the board may well be set to maximum gain. That would explain the constant hiss.

I should also mention the Dayton board is just a rebranded Sure (aka Wondom) Electronics JAB5 board. Wondom has several youtube videos on the JAB5, here's a LINK to one. Wondom also has JAB5 documents you can download from their website HERE. I suggest you download the JAB5 datasheet, it has the most information on the pre-loaded SigmaStudio project and what the pots control (it depends on the 4.0/2.0/2.1 configuration).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This board has 4 headers to connect pots to control different functions. It comes with a SigmaStudio project pre-loaded and according to the user manual "Out of the box, each KABD amplifier is pre-programmed for the potentiometers to have some basic functions,". The user manual shows the function of each pot and two are related to volume control. If you're not using the volume control pots the board may well be set to maximum gain. That would explain the constant hiss.

I should also mention the Dayton board is just a rebranded Sure (aka Wondom) Electronics JAB5 board. Wondom has several youtube videos on the JAB5, here's a LINK to one. Wondom also has JAB5 documents you can download from their website HERE. I suggest you download the JAB5 datasheet, it has the most information on the pre-loaded SigmaStudio project and what the pots control (it depends on the 4.0/2.0/2.1 configuration)

Oh thanks, I am not using the pots! I'll take a look at that manual as well.