• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

K40Y-9: Questions And Comments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No copper, they use plain aluminium foil. Copper is used e.g in Mundorf capacitors, that is a different category. Therese Russian capacitors were produced for military purposes, where the main parameter was reliability. On the other hand, copper is not hazardous...
PCB (Polychlorinated biphenyl) is an oil-like stuff. The paper in PIO capacitors is impregnated with it. But I found it also in Russian ceramic cased silver-mica.

No copper, they use plain aluminium foil. Copper is used e.g in Mundorf capacitors, that is a different category. Therese Russian capacitors were produced for military purposes, where the main parameter was reliability. On the other hand, copper is not hazardous...
PCB (Polychlorinated biphenyl) is an oil-like stuff. The paper in PIO capacitors is impregnated with it. But I found it also in Russian ceramic cased silver-mica.

PCB is all good, just don't break open the case, touch, feed to the kids, use as fertilizer.. etc. Been in use here in the USA on electric train transformers for decades. Probably why the Russians encased it in a metal housing.
Just saying.. and of course not meant for home use.

I've just wondered how I got a case of em shipped thru the mail with a know carcinogen that made it thru customs in less that a week...hmmm! I guess my pack o caps has no leakage.

Cheers,
Bob

At one time in the USA, Most residential and substation power transformers contained PCB. It was a great HV insulator and good thermal conductor to carry heat away from the windings.

I've only had problems with one former soviet union E-Bay seller for 6P51Js, and he refunded my money after I returned tubes that were obviously used tubes which he sold as new. Another member reported the same issue with this seller. Shipping back was almost as much as I paid for the tubes (excluding the shipping I paid the first time).

I give another vote for Oleg (Alexer1), as he has been fantastic with very quick shipping and everything in order. I recently made a purchase from him while he was on vacation and he responded several days before he said he would be back.

Sure! a dose of PCB can do substantial damage to a developing fetus disrupting an endocrine system. As the result, newborn babies can have such defects as cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. Specifically, they are known to cause learning disabilities, severe attention deficit disorder, cognitive and brain development problems, deformations of the body (including limbs); sexual development problems, feminizing of males or masculine effects on females, etc.

Endocrine disruptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.