K-horn plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a vented LaScala will go lower than a Cornwall and you have much greater efficiency. A two way LaScala will integrate into a small room so much better than a three way. Best regards Moray James.

Sadonic, Moray is right. a ported La Scala hopefully will go down as low as a Khorn but it is simply smaller and it's a real horn, needless to a corner. I've build La Scala myself and it's not that hard to build. the hardest part for me was painting inside of the dog house ;)

I gave up the back-loaded horn and a front loaded horn is better but you still can make it time aligned. Because of the big length difference of the bas to the mid-horn and from mid-horn to super-tweeter.

It is even worse to make a 3 way or four way then you can be sure it doesn't work for sure. What you then create is a huge system for inference distortion. If you think it works well you did not listen to the stereo imaging of such a system.

Better to make a good efficient bas-reflex bas-mid even better a compact efficient bas-mid with two parallel woofers to make up to 102dB 1wmtr. And combine it with a full-range mid-high section so it acts as a point source without XO points in the mid-high section.

Then you get dry response, low THD and good imaging.

Or make a line array to increase SPL and lower THD.

Last edited:
folded horns I would only use for the lowest bass, or frequencies with no midrange content
and I would say that anything above 100hz contains midrange

I assume you never heard an original La Scala. I don't know what was brewing inside that big furniture-looking wooden cabs with some cheap old-tech parts, they are not much interesting on the paper, but give it a hear for 20 minutes and WOW! you'll probably have one of the best 20-minutes listening of our life, not much of tonal and timbre accuracy to expect, coloration is also there, but they are effortless and fun to listen. consider K-400 midrange horn of the La Scala is so bad, collecting engine oil from carter, there are some upgrade for them but I never had a chance to listen to one upgraded La Scala with some hi-tech compression drivers like B&C,BMS, Radian, Faital,... but I'd like to :) I'm not saying these are among the top 10 speakers in the world, but I've listened to some of the expensive speakers out there like Marten, Hansen, Wilson, Kharma, Avantgarde, Focal,... Klipsch Heritage speakers give me much listening pleasure (not accuracy..) than most of the mentioned speakers (except Avantgarde, Acapella, Cessaro,...) and Yes La Scala sounded much better than Musique Concrete La Grand Castine I heard, maybe bad configuration I don't know

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I see it a bit like using glasses to see properly
we are different, and thus need different glasses

I guess we can be 'schooled' to hear the same things, the same way, but else, no
and speaker are ressonators, like it or not
how much we need, or can take, is a matter of individuality

I do not quote that.

With a horn sub or mid horn creates time shift problems, and has high group-delay. Also you can not mount drivers within wavelength distance to each other, so you get interference and there for a bad polar behavior.

Witch are better solved in other systems like BR or closed box and maybe mounted as array or not. These can be combined with a small horn or in a two way with horn high. Time aligned.

A smart BR will do the same efficiency with more subbas as a hornloaded one. And a bas-reflex increases also efficiency when placed in a corner.

And a sub horn is best realized with a tapped horn with solves also the time alignment.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• horn jubscala.jpg
    horn jubscala.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 378
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.