JVC line array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 44 of the JVC 3x5 mids and 28 of the (PE 269-484)JVC 1x4 driver arriving on Monday. I've always wanted to do a full line array. At 84" these will be tall. Also, at just over $100 for drivers, my experimental costs will be relatively small.

I'm hoping to use the 1x4 as the high frequency river with a crossover around 2500-3000hz.

I plan to use an active crossover and EQ and bi-amp to get a feel before I order crossover components.

I have a question which I can't seem to get answered on Tech Talk. Will the Sensitivity difference cause a huge problem when I get around to making a passive crossover? Along with that, will I need to use baffle step as I hope to have these as narrow as possible? I assume since BSC robs sensitivity, If I do 3-4 db BSC, it should even up the sensitivity difference?

I will attempt a few test with my woofer tester when they arrive and report what I find.

James

I did all the work to get them out of their enclosures, but I really have not listened to them. I did hook up one of the units, and the low end is pretty surprising. They are not very efficient, I would agree with the published 80db sens.

As an old caraudio junky, I though to that thes would fit well in an a-pillar siruation. As I may not use them in my lihe array. I may have a few to mess around with:)

I'll try to give them a little listen outside the enclusure and see what they are like.

FYI: Picture of array directivity issues: 1(2)

IMO, 8 array elements falls under the 'short array ' concept:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1215500#post1215500

Crossing over at 3621 Hz is to high and also too close to the point of 'central image*disappearance' = the Second major stereo system fault, where the phantom image spread is reaching maximum causing the high frequency spread to appear all over the sound stage.

Even XO:ing at Lambda/2 ==> 1810 Hz is IMO resulting in Low-Fi localization.

My rec. is using about max. Lambda/3 i.e. 1200 Hz is unfortunately close to the First major stereo fault = about 1100 Hz where the inter ear distance combing** effects diffuses and dislocate the horizontal phantom localization.

Whenever frequency's over about 800 Hz is covered by any number of drivers, the drivers should be placed at ear height or as close as possible to that height.

For an array the middle array element must thus be placed at ear height for a sharp focused central phantom appearance as there is no vertical information in stereo signals but 'Pinnae' cues making the sound stage stretching somewhat vertically.

The half wavelength OB distance appears to be about 16 cm? making this array to drop – 6dB/octave below a frequency of about 1 kHz and the total unaffected, unequalized BW to be about 1 -1.2 kHz which is very narrow but IMO can be very useful for a M-array (as phase and amplitude correcting elements TF = dS/(S^2+dS+1, d=1/Q = about 0.5, T and W driver 2nd order with the same d)).

Of course if this concept is followed , a Bass and a Tweeter array must be added:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=1209527&stamp=1179074994&

This has been done for a stereo 60-60-60 degrees placed 4x3way and 8x3way element arrays and where the array set-up were covered with thin drapers surprised the listeners to believe they were listening at two FR speakers when presenting a straight line x-y proportional sound stage with very focused sharp resolution phantoms at a central listening position.

* and**: Major Stereo system faults : See picture 2(2)

b

1(2)

Attachments

• 8xob-array.gif
    8xob-array.gif
    93.1 KB · Views: 227
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.