Just looking for the perfect 5.5" midbass / woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my Silver Flute 8ohm --
Madisound Speaker Store

...do we believe the bass in this freq. response graph? As drawn, bass is MUCH better than the 5 - 5.5 inch drivers I have been seeing, yet, my speakers are not producing much bass. The previous woofers (blown) pumped out a lot more.

Perhaps for "real bass", I should be looking at another type of spec, not the 50-100hz area in a freq. response graph? Or, maybe this graph is just wrong?

To see what drivers are capable of you need to simulate with their T/S parameters in a suitable box design program. WinISD should be fine for this.

The silverflute driver that you have is the one that Zaph measured and used in his design.

Silverflute-W14RC25-FR.gif

It is easy to see why you are not happy as the driver has a massive peak close to where the crossover frequency is supposed to be.

I still think that you should try and contact Zaph on the HTguide forums and ask if he still has the xover design for his silverflute/vifa design around as it would be a very good place to start with regards to modifying the xover.

There are also guides/software one can use to try and attempt this for themselves even if you don't have measuring gear.

FRD Consortium tools guide

If new boxes are to be built etc then building a proper kit would be the best advice I could give. If parts are available one of Zaph's cheap designs would be a good option.

Still I think using the FRD consortium xover designer tools would get you decent results if used correctly.

One has to look at this in terms of cost vs effect and so far we're talking cheap parts, so I doubt ultimate fidelity is of the order. However having said this all the available options do require the spending of some money. Both the scanspeak driver and the vifa one cost decent money, we're talking ~$140 for the pair and you're still a good crossover short. You could buy the Zaph audio 5.2 TM kit for $200 and put that into the cabinet, it's not perfect as the Zaph design isn't suited to the sloping baffle, nor is it suited for a 6.75" wide cabinet, but the design should work reasonably well and be a lot better then any badly put together design.

As it stands Solen audio actually has some old stock left of the vifa tweeter that Zaph used in his design with the silverflute woofer and they are not expensive

https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?...iveau1=1&niveau2=1&niveau3=&s1=2&s2=1&s3=&s4=

I still think your best bet is trying to contact Zaph over on the HT guide forums, if he's still got the xover for the design I cannot see him refusing to give it to you, his design also has a two part slanted baffle, so it seems quite a good match. Certainly buying the vifa tweeters and making Zaphs xover would be the cheapest route to decent success, so get on over the HTguide and see if you can get the plans for the old design. If you can't, at least you tried.

Thanks to all, especially 5th, for the advice.

I am not sure what I will do here... perhaps just leave everything as-is and try to adjust the crossover point. I will start by approaching a speaker guru that I know, who could figure out the math and do the work for me, and if that doesn't work I'll approach Zaph.

Much appreciated,
Hukk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.