Just Chillin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GRollins said:
My comment on coriander was in reference to the German purity laws, something brewers should know about.

Grey, if you're referring to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516, that is still relatively recent in the making of homebrew. Spices go way back.

14% alcohol is quite acceptable.< snip >After all, 14% alcohol is normal for red wine [/B]

Thank you for the offer of red wine or barley wine. I must confess, my palate has not yet accepted those into the fold. Nor do I let any hard liquor pass my lips lest the occasional single malt slips by when I'm not looking. I am a beer drinker.

You're right the term yuck was less than appropriate, and I do appologize for using that term in describing someone else's creation, sorry prb123. I guess I was a little hasty in telling the world I'm happy with my way. ie: an ale brewed Lager extract with Cal's special ingredients and an all grain pale ale.

Dave M, that's sounds like a nice set-up. Let us know when we can expect samples. ;)

Kilo, Urquell's a good one. one of the few I buy from the store anymore.

vp, good quote

Cal

GRollins said:
My comment on coriander was in reference to the German purity laws, something brewers should know about.

Sorry,Grey.
Germany had to give up the "Reinheitsgebot" , imo one of the best things of our neighbors.
Just for the sake of complying with EC open frontiers, our oldest playboy Freddy Heiniken had his hand in it right before he went to beer heaven.
The only thing the EC has been good for till now is keeping genetically manipulated soja beans out.

I find it a luxury to live an hours drive from Antwerp, the wet dream of beer boys and girls.

Where did you get that gear? Any good deals?

But of course. How else would a true DIYer go about it. My buddy (and brewing partner) works for Barre Calibough (sp?) making chocolate. So, their company bought out Brachs candy. When they were going through the equipment inherited from the old Brachs candy factory in Chicago, my friends says to his boss " Hey, I know what to do with those. It has nothing to do with work, but I could sure use a couple." He asked for 3. We got one. Hey beggars can't be choosers. I am refering to a 68 gallon SS pot that was used for making Jely Beans that will now be used for beer:drink:

For pumps and such check out the LabX.com website. It is the ebay of the scientific lab world.

This is our new boil pot that will compliment the 36 gallon and the 15 gallon. My friend has been brewing for 10+ years and has a brewery in his basement. Barrel, lagering cabinet (will hold 8 carbouys W/ digital temp control) 2 industrial sinks, storage for bottles tools etc. direct access to the porch where we can gravity feed and boil

So, if I move we would need to split the whole thing up. But anyone visiting Vermont is more than welcome to drop by for a listening session. Free samples are given away daily;) On draft presently we have a hopped pale (with 3 varieties of homegrown hops). In bottles we have a wit beer, an alt beer, belgian lambic (blueberry, peach strawberry and geuze) 2 1/2 year old barrel aged cider, 1 1/2 year old cider, 3 year old mead (plain & Raspberry) 2 year old mead (plain & Peach), a concoction we call Maple Hangover - mead recipe with Maple sugar substituted for honey (hint: the Champagne yeast is dead and it is still sweet)

All that is nice, but right now my focus is on populating my first amp project. Aleph X 100 wpc (Kari's boards) I've got everything but the transformers. They are on order.

Dave

The only thing the EC has been good for till now is keeping genetically manipulated soja beans out.
Yep, and bananas with wrong curvature too:D :D
Kind of say's it all, doesn't it??

Steen:)

BTW, a bit OT, I guess:xeye:

or any of a dozen different Belgian styles
The Belgians are brewing some of the finest beer at all.
I have just had the opportunity to have a genuine Trappist beer!
Not just any Trappist beer, but the beer from the 6'st Trappist brewery that doesn't normally sell to the public!! It was a true experince. We were informed to drink them in a particular order, as there was two kinds!! I am sure we had that wrong:D
Great taste!! But you cant drink many of those I think!

Trappist and Trappist-style beers are why Belgium was invented. You can keep the lambics, give me the trippels and stong ales. It is with great sadness that I note that the Affligem beers no longer taste as good since they were bought out a couple of years back. At least Duvel remains unchanged. It may be heresy, but I prefer Duvel over Chimay, Orval, et. al. even as fond of the Chimay Grande Reserve as I am.

Grey

How does the yeast make a difference in the alcohol content?

Besides the tolerance, different yeast strains have different conversion efficiencies. This has been (for me) a real problem in the wine world as bigger and more overheated wines take over the market.

No question that a few slugs is a better system enhancer than all the tweaks and special wires in the world. We've got excellent microbrews around here, not just wine.

For me, Ciney Brun is killer.

originally posted by jacco vermeulen
Germany had to give up the "Reinheitsgebot"

Maybe one day EU-regulations may allow "monkey-pee" to be called beer.
That doesn`t mean that the "Reinheitsgebot" doesn`t exist anymore.
At least not south of the "veal sausage equator".:D

Were I live, beer is considered as staple food and people are taking this issue very seriously.
The majority of people here in Bavaria would never drink anything else than beer brewed according the "Reinheitsgebot" just because EU regulations allow to produce otherwise?
People know what is good and what is rubbish and the market is pretty self-regulating. The sales figures confirm this.

Cheers :drink: (love that icon)

cocolino said:
People know what is good and what is rubbish and the market is pretty self-regulating.

I sure hope you are right, Christoph.
imo, it is ridiculous that a nation has to hand in something which is an essential part of that country.
Then, i remember veggy farmers having to come up with branch tomatoes because German customers refused to swallow something that no longer deserved to be named a vegetable.
The big H is monkey pils.
Mr Rollins sure knows his beers.

GRollins said:
Trappist and Trappist-style beers are why Belgium was invented. You can keep the lambics, give me the trippels and stong ales. It is with great sadness that I note that the Affligem beers no longer taste as good since they were bought out a couple of years back. At least Duvel remains unchanged. It may be heresy, but I prefer Duvel over Chimay, Orval, et. al. even as fond of the Chimay Grande Reserve as I am.

Grey

I spend a LOT of time in Belgium. I'm particular to Cantillon, real spontaneous (don't let anyone tell you that no one really ferments with wild yeast) fermented lambic. Funky as hell. There's plenty of all types of beer in Belgium to make us all happy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.