• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Just another PP...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have done some calculations on the feedback network. In the setup below, the gain Rm is ca 130k ohm and Rout (each pentode) is ~300 ohms. If the theory is close to the practical world, this means that I probably don't need loop feedback to lower the Zo.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

To sort things out, I have made a spread sheet to do the feedback calculations.
It can be found here: http://www.veiset.net/miniPP/Shuntfeedback-Excel97.xls

One thing: What is the rp for EL84 in UL? In triode mode rp =~2k and in pentode configuration rp is 35-40k, but I have not found data or curves for EL84 in UL. My guess was ~4k.

Hi jane,

One thing: What is the rp for EL84 in UL? In triode mode rp =~2k and in pentode configuration rp is 35-40k, but I have not found data or curves for EL84 in UL. My guess was ~4k.

Depends on exact operation point and moreover, on exact UL ratio (a few percents off can make a considerable difference). And changes quite considerably under signal conditions (which means, over plate swing), too.

If you are very interested to know, I could try to make a limited plot around your iddle OP point to compute µ, rp and gm.

From your circuit, I see:

Vg1 = -10V
Va = Vg2 = 250V
Ik = 34mA

What I need to know additionally:

1) Ia at op point above (I have only a pair of mildly used JJ/Tesla EL84 at hand, so I must do a sanity check of Ia/Ig2 ratio against your sample first).
2) UL ratio.

But if it is not this important to know, please spare me the hours it would need do rig up/down & draw/compute ;)

Tom

P.S.: Please note your tubes run at a quite unusually low plate Pd at the moment, probably less than 8 Watts or 70% ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.