JRC5534 replacement for IV section ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To Hifiwolf-
I have no doubt that there may be certain euphonic characteristics of antique chips like the NE5533, 5534, etc. I am very fond of the sound of germanium transistors, but that doesn't mean I rely on them for transparent sound. I'm not saying it's impossible to get accurate sound from antique device, but there are definitely parts, such as the above mentioned NE chips, that are damn near impossible to get transparent sound out of.
As for Accuphase- they seem to have an unnatural talent for getting respectable sound out of cheap parts. But none of their gear makes any of my "top ten lists" for best sounding gear.

To Bernhard...
Which Philips player ?

I have Philips CD 101 with 2 x TDA 1540 and Signetic NE 5532 and second player Philips CD880 with TDA1541S1 and Philips NE5532AN ( have replaced original Texas Instrumends NE's ). Third player is Meridian 506.20 . In Meridian Player i have for 3 years ago replaced Philips NE5534 to OPA604 but now i have changed back to NE5534 and this means more music for me now.
This are only my experiences and i think , that the sound is depend on the amplifier and speakers too. I personally like more discrete semiconductors and no opamps. By phono amplifier ( now i am testing-looking for MM-MC preamplifier ) is more clear to here, that more localization and more detailed microdynamics is possible to get only with separate transistors.

My Shanling CD300 (North American version) comes with JRC5534 in the IV section. I notice the Asia version has AD847. I thought AD847 is a way better chip. Wonder why North American version got a **** chip :mad: Or am I wrong and the 5534 is actually better for IV section ?

What is a direct replacement for the JRC5534 other than AD847 ?

The circuit uses JRC5534 at IV section and OPA627 in the differential stage right now. I have modded a Shanling T-200 before with all OPA627 and the sound is too much (I prefer a mix of OPA627 and OPA2132 in that particular machine.)

Since it uses 4 on each channel (pic shows one side only), I need a total of 8. OPA627 is out of the question even if its superior given the cost.

Any advice/thoughts ?

in this case this thread could be of interest:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-1-outperform-burr-browns-opa-627-opa627.html
check also out the availability of DIP-8 outline of ADA4627 - if neccesary - about the homepage of "Analog Devices"

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is an old thread... however as it's been resurrected... I would suggest an OPA604 for an I/V convertor and possibly an AD845 for filter/buffer as replacements for the NE5534.
This is something I did on my Micromega Stage 2 a few years back with huge success sonically.
A word of caution... if the player uses an offset null arrangement, make sure the opamp you choose is suitable or be prepared to modify as required.

My Shanling CD300 (North American version) comes with JRC5534 in the IV section. I notice the Asia version has AD847. I thought AD847 is a way better chip. Wonder why North American version got a **** chip :mad: Or am I wrong and the 5534 is actually better for IV section ?

What is a direct replacement for the JRC5534 other than AD847 ?

The circuit uses JRC5534 at IV section and OPA627 in the differential stage right now. I have modded a Shanling T-200 before with all OPA627 and the sound is too much (I prefer a mix of OPA627 and OPA2132 in that particular machine.)

Since it uses 4 on each channel (pic shows one side only), I need a total of 8. OPA627 is out of the question even if its superior given the cost.

Any advice/thoughts ?

Try replacing the NE5534 with the LT1028ACN8. It should yield a big improvement.

Also try replacing that OPA627 with the OPA1611 :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Andrea... you swapped those opamps yet :)

And just to illustrate offset issues I mentioned... please don't assume all devices are drop in replacements... you could make things worse or even totally disrupt circuit operation... as even the pinouts are different.
I know most applications don't make use of this facility, but the ones that do ;)

Attachments

• Offset.jpg
    Offset.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 352
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.