John Krutke's Silver Flute project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been dieing to use those silver flutes! I just hope somebody tests the 6.5s and 8s soon too. I've heard that their parameters vary considerably from the published specs on Madisound's website, and are capable of much better bass extention than their published specs would indicate.

I'm not surprised, I'm holding a W17 RC38 at the moment and it has one of the biggest magnetic systems I have ever seen on a 6.5-inch midbass driver. Built quality also appears to be vastly superior to anything in its price range, and even better than many costing X times more. I know the 4-ohm version of this driver is used in high-end car audio but I can't comment on the sound quality of the ones I have (8-ohm version) because I haven't used them in a project yet. First I would like to hear about someone who'd have used this driver in a project. I'm tinkering with the idea of pairing them up with Vifa's XT25 should the Silver Flute be able to handle a Xover freq. between 2500 and 3000, preferably using a serial design. I know the XT25 is almost always used with high-end drivers (and seems to be considered high-end itself despite a relatively affordable price) so I'm curious to see if this tweeter could somehow be integrated with a non-esoteric midbass driver and still yield enjoyable results.

Reactions: 1 user
fireman said:
Now I understand why you don't see many graphic equalizers in higher end audio setups. You just don't need them !

Unless your speakers and listening room don't get along which can happen when you move to a different house/apartment and don't want to start messing around with the crossovers. I confess that I once committed the ultimate sin and EQ'd out some response in the 40-60Hz area. For this I used a small Behringer EQ that I could easily conceal from the prying eyes of uppity audiophile friends. :D

As long as preamp tone controls (when present) are set to "defeat" using a transparent EQ in such a narrow frequency range won't mess up response over the whole frequency spectrum but I felt guilty about it so eventually I adjusted the crossover and did away with the EQ which I now use with with my headphone amp (also from Behringer).

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.