John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack also bought me lunch at a fancy restaurant. I really appreciate fine food when I am given it to eat. I can't afford it myself, but I know the difference. It is the same with hi end audio quality, in my opinion. If you can't afford it, or just not justify it to yourself, it doesn't help anyone to condemn it as a rip off.

john curl said:
Jack also bought me lunch at a fancy restaurant. I really appreciate fine food when I am given it to eat. I can't afford it myself, but I know the difference. It is the same with hi end audio quality, in my opinion. If you can't afford it, or just not justify it to yourself, it doesn't help anyone to condemn it as a rip off.

Well, Grey Poupon is very affordable :).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
VivaVee said:
I think this is a very poor example. I believe that you are referring to spread spectrum clocks being used to to spread clock harmonics over a wider than usual spectrum in order to pass the FCC emissions test. Any decent spectrum analyser available in the past 20 years (apart from the cheap garbage based on tv tuners) can see this effect.

The spectrum anlyser is NOT at fault. The FCC test is based on the average signal level in a narrow sweeping band. This is not an example of inadequate equipment but of an outdated mandated test regime. Or rather a perfect example of commercial greed leading to some clever design methods that satisfy the letter of the law while comprehensively breaching the spririt. [/B]

No need to be so defensive. And you did illustrate my point that the analyzer can be fooled if you know what its looking for. Conversely that shows that you cannot know that it will see everything that is there. The FCC receiver with its quasi-peak response won't necessarily show the actual energy coming from the clock of the spread spectrum source. The knowledgeable operator is aware of the effect. The product meets specs and passes FCC, but could cause more interference that one that has less RF but reads higher on the receiver.

The core point is to understand the limits of your measuring instrument. They all lie, mostly in predictable ways.

john curl said:

Please stick with audio, unless you want too really be embarassed. Just ask SY.

Maille for Dijon.
French's for yellow.
Frank's Mr. Mustard for a little kick, Lusty Monk for a little more.

And........
English Red Mustard
This recipe comes from Mount Horeb Mustard Museum. If you want it really hot, use piquin chiles.

4 tablespoons cracked brown mustard seeds
2 tablespoons Colman’s dry (powdered) mustard
1 teaspoon salt
3 small dried hot red peppers, crushed (Or to taste. Chipotles are good too.)
1/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup beer

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small bowl, then whisk in the water and beer until the mixture is smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days, for the mustard to thicken and "ripen" before using. Store in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator.

Yield: Approximately 1/2 cup
Heat Scale: Hot

from fiery-foods.com

and JC -- have you ever talked to Dick Sequerra about his spark plugs? I was surprised seeing them on his website.

Status
Not open for further replies.