John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Guys what about skipping the guitars and ballet and discuss something interesting, and going back to the volume control.
Not talking about the resistors and Bybee, but how to do it and where to put it.

JC is putting the volume control before the line driver.
CH is putting it after the line driver, and is using a Variable Gain Transimpedance or a variable Gain Transconductance circuit.
According to Ayre it’s a Variable Gain Transimpedance (VGT)
According to Stereophile it’s a Variable Gain Transconductance (VGT)

As far as I know that is two completely different VGT’s

So my first questions would be: where is the best place to put the volume control and second is VGT a variable gain transimpedance or variable gain transconductance.

Wavebourn said:

It was Soviet approach to an amplifier sound. ;)
Parts were scarce for kids; however if some electronic plant existed in the town adults could steal and bring some, otherwise the source was a dumpster. A power tranny for that my first bass guitar amp I made from a power tranny I took from salvaged tube radio: I cut secondaries out using a saw and wound mine using some wire salvaged from some kind of a motorcycle generator. Volume and tone knobs were made of tooth paste caps; they looked like real! :D

Scarcity being mother of invention?

stinius said:

JC is putting the volume control before the line driver.
CH is putting it after the line driver, and is using a Variable Gain Transimpedance or a variable Gain Transconductance circuit.

JC represents one approach, while CH represents another.
So, what are you after? A majority vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.