John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vogue said:
My plan is to use prefabricated aluminium tubes or profiles. I found some tube with a diameter of 216 mm and a “wall” thickness of 8 mm. I would the close up the chassis with some 8 mm. aluminium sheets front and back. The price could be kept at around 300 USD for the tube and the two sheets.

I know the design would be more or less like a nuclear bomb … but this should be very effective!

I have a question concerning the use of Teflon sheets for the RCA jacks in the Blowtorch – I assume it’s Teflon sheet. Why not use copper sheet … or even a aluminium sheet.

Vogue

I believe you're talking about a design like this:

http://www.briangt.com/gallery/album53

If so, you will need to take a close look at the specs of the tube.....

Magura :)

Vogue said:
Just a plain tube ... aluminium 216 mm outer diameter and thickness 8mm - length approx 200 mm.

It's a standard tube .... proberbly not Blowtorch finish ... or design. But anyhow ...

Anyhow I think you know more about this ... this is also why I ask a lot of questions!

Vogue

Just to keep this thread reasonably on topic...if you need help drop me a line in private.

Magura :)

This is something I have to see!:wave2: Which JC-2? Parasound, Levinson, both?
Actually what you are heading toward is the JC-80, which received the 'preamp of the year' award in Japan, years ago. It is a good solid design, and with a few upgrades is OK in my book. Still, it sits in my closet so that I can use my zero global feedback CTC Blowtorch preamp, which sounds slightly better. Maybe someone has the schematics for the JC-80 that they can post here. It's OK, the design is more than 25 years old, now.

That is a JC-80, and it is only similar to a Levison JC-2 and also similar to the new Parasound JC-2 just coming out. It is a good solid feedback design, much like the original JC-2, but better.
Now, we need schematics, especially for the line amp. The phono stages are a throw away design at this time.

RFI Tight Enclosures

Kamskoma

It is quite possible to make an enclosure from several plates that, for all practical purposes, is as good as a solid milled chassis. The thing to keep in mind is the relationship between leakage and the maximum aperture dimension. The leakage varies as the third power of the aperture, so it is vital to avoid slots or long gaps. There are several conductive glues or conductive elastomers that can be used to eliminate gaps between the plates. There are several companies, also, that make RFI gasketing material.

The other thing to remember is that RFI can enter an enclosure either via a radiated or conducted route. Closing the gaps will prevent radiated RFI, but conducted RFI (from any cable) can be even more of a problem. Mitigating this problem is usually accomplished by the use of ferrite beads or RFI filters that are built into the connectors. For example, most power entry modules contain an RFI filter, although its purpose is usually to prevent the escape of RFI out of the enclosure. However, the filter works well in the opposite mode.

With the widespread introduction of digital electronics and the FCC/CDE emissions requirements, there are lots of companies manufacturing RFI suppression devices, so there is quite a wide selection from which to choose.

Steve,

this is just the point. In my case, instrumentation shielding box, there is only one input BNC connector connected galvanically on the surface of the box. Output is fiber optic cable.

If one let conductors get into box without their shield/screen connected on the box or HF feedthrough at least, the effect of electrical field shielding is lost.

When I mentioned the JC-80, I was referring ONLY to the line stage. Everything else should be ignored, because better solutions have been posed on this thread, already. Please remember, the design itself is over 25 years old.
The line stage of the JC-80 is similar in overall topology to the CTC, but it uses negative feedback. Servos are essentially the same. Power supply buffering is essentially the same. It would be easier to make than the CTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.