John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Bybee worked in the classified world of physics for the military-industrial complex. IF you have a maximum security clearance, and sign a non-disclosure agreement, it is possible for YOU also, to learn more. Some physicists have, and know more than you or me.
Jack has not been directly involved in this stuff for many decades. After Feynman, I was told that he met the head of SEGA on an airplane and got an offer that he couldn't refuse, to work on SEGA projects. Then, he developed a company that made chip modifications to improve auto performance, and then sold that company at a profit, perhaps 20 years ago. This is when he decided to make 'purifiers' as he felt that the technology had cooled down enough to sell to the public, so long as he was careful with the info, and the raw parts. He worked out an agreement that seems to have worked up to now.

What concerns me more is that I cannot find any publications by him; somebody working with Feynman must have published a lot.

That's where the Bybee universe seems to be closed in itself by stating that he did secret projects for the DOD or the Navy. So this really could explain, that you cannot find any publications ... :D

No patents found either ... but patents can be kept secret in the U.S. if you are involved in secret projects ... :D

Does Jack Bybee exist or is his name only a pseudonym for John Curl ??? :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
This is when he decided to make 'purifiers' as he felt that the technology had cooled down enough to sell to the public, so long as he was careful with the info, and the raw parts.
I'll want to say I have no opinion to force on anyone about the Bybee devices. I am skeptical, even though my education is nowhere near the equal of many others here. I must rely on logic and what I'm pretty sure I do know.

The one thing I do know is stunningly simple. Once you sell a device, or anything else for that matter, the secrets are now out. Anything one man can make can be reverse engineered by others. It just has to be worth the effort to do so. This fact would not be lost on the industrial military complex. So if there was anything even remotely advanced in technology, in no way would "they" allow it to be released into the public domain. Both China, North Korea and Russia would be busy working on these as soon as they were released (if not before).

The very same concept is true for your blowtorch preamp, or anything else anyone has designed. It still comes down to whether it's worth copying or not. The first one you sell potentially releases all of your trade secrets used. In a way, releasing the schematic (and I'm not suggesting that you do) would help your technology to fly under the radar. Schematics do not generally contain enough information by themselves to allow a clone to be created. But a finished unit does.

I can't see how Jack Bybee is using any important technology that might be useful to the military, even if it was researched through military efforts.

-Chris

But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. "

-Carl Sagan

Bozo, (and Carl Sagan) may be 'good enuff' for the rest of the country.

However -

in the middle of the USA we have our own Hero Clowns ,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.kiddiematinee.com/whizzo.html

http://www.kshs.org/cool3/whizzo.htm

Jon Lord said:

And even geniuses laugh at Bozo the Clown from time to time ... :wiz: :D

and for the True Hardcore -

Torey Southwick

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/kcit50/page2.html

Roger Miller wrote a song about Torey,

when Torey receved an 'better offer' he refused,

he was already 'A Star'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaAyPFhvoY

Got a letter just this mornin’ it was postmarked Omaha
It was typed and neatly written offerin’ me this better job
Better job at higher wages, expenses paid and a car
But I’m on TV here locally and I can’t quit, I’m a star

Hah-ha I come on TV grinnin,’ wearin’ pistols and a hat
It’s a kiddy show and I’m a hero of the younger set
I’m the number one attraction every supermarket parkin’ lot
I’m the king of Kansas City, no thanks, Omaha, thanks a lot

CHORUS:
Kansas City star, that’s what I are
Yodel-deedle ay-hee, you oughta see my car
I drive a big old Cadillac with wire wheels, got rhinestones on the spokes
I got credit down at the grocery store
And my barber tells me jokes
I’m the number one attraction every supermarket parkin’ lot
I’m the king of Kansas City, no thanks, Omaha, thanks a lot

Anatech, your logic is good, but your conclusions are flawed. Jack did tell Dimitri that one of the PRINCIPAL reasons for secrecy was that the rare earth that was most important was mined only in Georgia, (you know the USSR) during the cold war, and they had to buy it from them. IF the USE of this material had been revealed, the source would dry up!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
I don't think my conclusions are flawed. Metallurgy would quickly point the ore used out. Metallurgy would be one of the first in depth examinations that would occur. So that would account for the timing of the product's release possibly. However, they still rely on the same source for supply (for all I know) and that could undergo a price increase if the use was known. Political instability could still cut off the source too.

I stand by my conclusions, given the known facts I had at the time.

Anyway, I don't really have an opinion as much as a suspicion. I'm not taking anyone to task here, just explaining why I feel the way I do. I will generally explain why I make a comment. This could be interpreted as "active resistance", or an attack. Possibly this is why we exchange words frequently?

Without ever seeing the product in question, I'm hardly in any position to make a solid comment.

-Chris

Edit:
Hi Nelson,
As I recall, it was Wheeler who explained to Feynman that there is only one electron traveling around through time and space. That's why all electrons have the same charge.
That was a grin I needed today!

"Contempt prior to investigation"

I just read the past few pages of this thread. I've run into some of the same kinds of things you guys have and I'm impressed with how you've handled it, because it can be real frustrating.

On that subject, one of the neatest quotes I've heard is shown below. Thought you all might enjoy it.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

- Herbert Spencer

Another funny thing I've noticed is sometimes (or in some circles) what is controversial one year becomes popular in another. Guess that's true in just about everything.

john curl said:
Let me clear the air here, so that people do not get the wrong impression.
This is not a scandal sheet, but there are lessons to be learned by people, and that includes many here, who judge an idea or a device without any significant understanding of, or even an attempt to try it. This is commonly defined as 'prejudice' and there has been plenty of such on this thread. Now why does it occur? My impression is that there are multiple reasons, including: Wanting to feel secure in ones previously learned knowledge, a significant cynicism regarding the honesty of others, due to rumors or past experience, and perhaps other factors.
If we are to progress in understanding how to make better audio designs, it is necessary to become aware of one's own 'prejudice' as well as examples of others showing 'prejudice'. Some of the letters cited by others, appear to be 'prejudice' against the statement made by some professional here on this thread. If I could show explicit examples of this, by others, OUTSIDE this thread, we all might gain some further understanding, without inciting each other, and being then accused of insult or defamation of someone contributing here, or who is normally in the audio profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.