John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
dimitri said:

The feedback network values are in kOhm, not Ohms,
otherwise you wouldn't get 64dB of gain

It is so surprising ... it can be done with a calculator, easily enough, or even pencil and paper. :D

Talking to me? See the entire schematic in the GPP thread for which those measurements apply. We are talking here only about the input stage that has a gain of about 71.

I've used the AD797 effectively in a phono stage. Using an output buffer (like an LT-1010) inside the feedback loop works pretty well. The distortion cancellation mechanism works in that case when the cap is connected to the LT1010 output.

That preamp may not be up to Vendetta or P-5xe standards, but with the right regulation, decent parts, and a phono cartridge output > 1 mV, it's pretty good. No parts sorting required.

CG said:
Silly question of the day:

What happens to the AD797 when the phone cartridge encounters a "tick" (no, not the kind of insect that causes Lyme disease) on a record? The load impedance on the output is only a few Ohms at 10 KHz, if I read the schematic right.

Here's a silly answer :D

Again, I have to refer you to the entire schematic in the GPP thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1720612#post1720612

The max output swing of the AD797 is 1.4Vpeak, under worst conditions (20KHz). This is because the output stage clips at +/-22V peak. 1.4Vpeak at 20KHz is the equivalent of an input POP of 70mV. You would agree that it is unlikely for a 0.5mV nominal cartridge (at 5cm/s) to generate a pop of 70mV. This is called "headroom".

Within these limits, AD797 can easily deliver the required output current in the feedback network. Not to mention that I don't see any requirement to linearly reproduce the vinyl pops up to +/-22V output. Can you imagine what would be the required headroom of the rest of the chain?

The rest is John's fabulations about PIM, TIM, bla, bla. The one and only reason for this blabla is John's more or less subliminal need to trash opamps in general. Otherwise said, just another episode of "three legs good, eight legs bad". Nothing good has happened in audio in the last forty years, everything was already done forty years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.