John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
VivaVee
---he reason that Naim (and others) put the inputs on the right hand side is legacy. Typical turntables have the tonearm cable/wiring exiting on the right side. Therefore, placing the high gain RIAA stage on the right side, 'under' the tonearm, and placing the mains input cables/power supply on the left side, minimises the interference.---

This goes wrong when you place the preamp at the left side of the turntable which is an easier arrangement. I write and I read from left to right. I draw my schematics with inputs at left and outputs at right. I like my real circuits have some ressemblance with my schematics. Then audio electronics boxes I built have their inputs at the rear left when when viewed from the front (at right when viewed from the rear).

It is really about which control you change the most often. If the amp sounds that good, the volume should be on the left. Max the volume control and leave it there. Then switch sources more often... hence sources on the right.

You guys should really try the copper tape used for stained glass work. Good adhesive, you can solder on it... it doesn't mind, readily available etc... You can even use it to cob up a decent circuit on a perf-board.

;)

We are grateful here that electronics do work upside down ... otherwise nothing would work ;)

back on topic ... Ti-shield is a composite of copper/alloy49/copper that has been used in military shielding applications for awhile. All oy 49 is a nickel-iron high permeabliity alloy that provides shielding at low frequencies (both E and H fields). The copper layer is much more effective above 10kHz (E field only). The laminate is usually just 10mil thick!

A cheap but effective substitute is copper plated steel - this was used by Counterpoint during the 90s for their pre/amplifier chassis.

poobah said:
I just got my new AOL CD in the mail... fun to stick in the microwave...

You sure you're not breaking some sort of End User Software License Agreement there? I'm sure there are rules about disassembling software...

I'll back up the self adhesive copper foil suggestion. I used to use it all the time on guitars and suchlike, it works really well and is a doddle to apply. Just make sure you bridge the joins with a blob of solder, as the adhesive is a very good insulator.

If you're really serious about magnetic shielding and don't mind spending some money, Ad-vance Magnetics will sell you a kit with high permeability materials that you can form into shields. I got the kit to make some photomultiplier shields for another obsession of mine, but the stuff will work well in audio applications, too.

Originally posted by poobah
I just got my new AOL CD in the mail... fun to stick in the microwave...

``````````````````````````````````````````````
blowtorch microwave-

http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/microwave

````````````````````````````````````````````````

topic-

how low will the noise floor be with blowtorch type

circuitry?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

when enough people misspell a word, google will not present

a correct spelling

Please get some experience in audio design before criticizing the use of aluminum as a chassis material. I have worked with mu-metal for almost 40 years. Mark Levinson first tried it in 1973 and rejected it. I have a mu-metal shielded dual banana input connector. Its distortion contribution can be measured. Have you ever looked at the cost of mu-metal? Let's have some serious contributions.

Guys,

You Gotta try those microwave tricks... awesome.

The toothpick one is way cool. I found that the colored toothpicks provide the most spectacular display! Nice plasma displays!

Great link tontt!

:D :smash: :D :smash::D :smash:

I've blown up a lot of $1200 IGBT's... these are way more fun, and alot cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!

NEWS FLASH

I tried alternate methods for supporting the toothpick and stumbled on to something grand. Cut a potato into 1/4" slices... use the potato slices flat as a toothpick stand.

Do this when your wife isn't around... or get a cool wife.

john curl said:
Please get some experience in audio design before criticizing the use of aluminum as a chassis material. I have worked with mu-metal for almost 40 years. Mark Levinson first tried it in 1973 and rejected it. I have a mu-metal shielded dual banana input connector. Its distortion contribution can be measured. Have you ever looked at the cost of mu-metal? Let's have some serious contributions.

Maybe mu-metal related distortions has something to do with relatively easy saturation of the mu-metal? I know that some of the old signal transformers had a several casings, outernmost made of lower permeability material like steel and inner ones from mu-metal. Lower permeability outer layer takes most of the external flux and protects inner mu-metal shield from saturation.

Status
Not open for further replies.