John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
hijacking??

Jan,

Imho, You ought to take your comments to another thread.

The moderator(s) (SY?) ought to trim off this last bit on preferences that are not in any way related to the topic and put them in another thread - as has been done before on several occasions.

These are worthy things to talk about, but are totally unrelated to the Blowtorch, solid state design, or anything John Curl has done or is doing.

Please move the sub-thread off.

_-_-bear

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: hijacking??

bear said:
Jan,

Imho, You ought to take your comments to another thread.

The moderator(s) (SY?) ought to trim off this last bit on preferences that are not in any way related to the topic and put them in another thread - as has been done before on several occasions.

These are worthy things to talk about, but are totally unrelated to the Blowtorch, solid state design, or anything John Curl has done or is doing.

Please move the sub-thread off.

_-_-bear

Well, I'm sorry, I'm in a conversation with some other people, apologies if that disturbs you. I seem to remember that there were a lot of didderent conversations in this thread before, not related to the BT. But, by all means, I'm looking forward to your posts related to the BT.

Jan Didden

I like Jan, I read his articles long long ago... I think he's sharp (usually), but he has also been here a long enough time to know better... :captain: :cop: :judge: Curl's in 'Vegas, and while the cat's away the mice are out playin'... Joshua is new, so I can't say much to him about knowing better?

Jan seems to currently be :whip: whipping the dead horse, :smash: bangin a drum (sorry no drum emoticon?), :goodbad: one needs to maintain control over some impulses... now can't we all just get along? :grouphug:?? :yes:

john curl said:
Thanks Bear. I am back, but just lost my message. Maybe something tomorrow.
Engineers? I'm not impressed.
Engineers are just like other folks, some are good, some are less good, some are mediocre and some are awful.

I've had the same experience with doctors, lawyers or waiters in restaurants.

Some years back, I had an opportunity to run a commercial salmon fishing boat. How hard could it be? I sucked, turns out people that had been fishing all their lives outperformed me easily. Whether it's sheep herding or pre-amp design, in any human endeavor, the cream will float to the top.

As to the thread being about the BT:

John has told us about his philosophy in grounding.
In chassis design and EMI.
In power supply topology.
In balanced vs. unbalanced.
In symmetrical push pull topology.
About JFET vs. BiPolar and other details.

He has also said he won't publish schematics.

So we are reduced to asking oblique questions to get him to reveal more of his thinking process because more design drawings will probably not appear.

SY said:
That's the nature of peer review. When I've posted my circuits, I get plenty of helpful... suggestions. But taking them to heart makes my work better and stops me from doing ill-advised things. It's a positive if your goal is to get a good circuit rather than to get affirmation.

My only aim is to get good circuits. I couldn't care less about credit.
However, I didn't see anywhere in the forums here such heated, hateful, personal attacks as I was given – also from you.

Hi,
personal attacks should never happen on a technical Forum like ours.
But some topics seem to bring out the worst in us and it's so hard to bite one's tongue by keeping quiet.

Maybe the Mods could take a more active interest in all the personal comments, pictures and general off topic posts that appear from time to time.

I know the Mods have stepped into this thread a few times and removed inappropriate postings, but maybe we should report all aggressive or personal or off topic posts more rigorously.

What's the Mods view on this?

What about free speech?

What do we Forum Members want?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It seems to me that comments aimed at circuits are often perceived as personal attacks, even if they clearly are not. It is understandable that posters have some kind of emotional connection to their creation, like it is 'their baby'.

I know the feeling: someone comments that 'your circuit doesn't work' and it takes an effort NOT to feel personally attacked. If this is understood, it all becomes much more easy and much more rewarding.

Jan Didden

AndrewT said:
Hi,
personal attacks should never happen on a technical Forum like ours.
But some topics seem to bring out the worst in us and it's so hard to bite one's tongue by keeping quiet.

Maybe the Mods could take a more active interest in all the personal comments, pictures and general off topic posts that appear from time to time.

I know the Mods have stepped into this thread a few times and removed inappropriate postings, but maybe we should report all aggressive or personal or off topic posts more rigorously.

What's the Mods view on this?

What about free speech?

What do we Forum Members want?

Andrew,
Well said, however, SY who is a moderator, also took part in the personal attacks.
So, we are left with is your most relevant question: "What do we Forum Members want?"

As for myself, I'm here to learn, I learned here a lot and I go on learning.

Joshua,

From where I sit reading the posts, I'd agree that you got chewed up when you first started posting. Otoh, you did come in with strong opinions, which provokes some people who do have very competent scientific or engineering training to respond or reply with the tone that they did (and do). I think that their tone and approach is inappropriate, but that's how life is, and how things are.

Personally, I feel quite comfortable stating up front that I am an imbecile, and that I know absolutely nothing for certain, which frees me up from the necessity of either being correct or competent.

As far as whomever said they were waiting for my comments on the Blowtorch, I try to keep my mouth shut unless I have something cogent to say, or I have a question to ask. At this time I have neither on that topic.

Which brings me back around to Joshua, Joshua you might have fared better asking questions (playing dumb, need be?) than making definitive statements??

Dunno if you know about such things but in the late 50s there was a TV show (check YooToobe) starring Andy Griffith, and little Ron Howard... As "Sheriff Taylor" he illustrated the "gee, aw shucks" technique of playing dumb while being very smart...

_-_-bear

By janneman -I know the feeling: someone comments that 'your circuit doesn't work' and it takes an effort NOT to feel personally attacked. If this is understood, it all becomes much more easy and much more rewarding.

I think it is cool when they say that,but only when they help
you fix it.. OR something like " The B-C of Q-xx is reversed"
that is good , saves me some "magic smoke" :D .

I don't comment on this thread much because of favoritism,
bias. too much opinion...

The early posts of this huge thread are a bonanza of
intellectual candy so it has it's use. I really didn't mean to
sarcastically call this thread a "soap opera' several posts
back but it has become less "technical" lately. :(

OS

Status
Not open for further replies.