John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
moamps said:
... I'd really appreciate it if you Pavel could elaborate a bit more as to why you are so disappointed and dissatisfied with the design(er) in question. I'm afraid I can't tell much from the picture you're referring to.

Regards,
Milan

Milan,

Upupa replied to this post of yours. The picture says enough about mechanical design, wiring and craftsmanship.

Milan,

there was enough said on pages no. 2 a 3 of this thread. I could have been more tolerant if it had been designed and produced by some DIYer. But it was not the case. As Upupa already wrote, there is nothing professional in sparrow-nest air wiring etc.

I understand that my posts are not welcomed here. My only intention was to keep certain kind of professional level and craftsmanship. As almost no one here is interested in it, I resign for this thread.

!

PMA you don't know what you are talking about. We just finished 6 units over the last few months. They came out looking exactly like the picture. There is no other rational choice and still separate the wires from each other. Pretty wiring either means shielded wiring (and we did not want that) OR lots of cross-talk between the wires. Air is a wonderful insulator. Learn and grow! Tolerance is a virtue. :eek:

Pavel,

You surely understand that what we're discussing here is a piece of commercial high-end audio gear, which is quite different from professional equipment (I mean, equipment used in a professional environment). If a designer of commercial audio equipment believes that shortest wires guarantee best sound, then it's his/her prerogative. That's just the way he/she chooses to handle things and we should have no problem with "sparrow nests". Moreover, statistically speaking, sparrow-nest wiring gives the lowest possible EM interference between wires (and may result in an amazing soundstage, as someone has already pointed out).

Regards,
Milan

I know what I am talking about. And we are about to turn in circles. PCBs can be made with connectors near to rear panel and almost no wiring from input connectors to PCB is necessary. PCB traces can be designed to come near to rotary switches. You can achieve different characteristics of PCB signal paths by modifying thickness and distance of PCB traces or shield them if you like. Learn and grow, John.

Unshielded wires are susceptible to high frequency electric field interference, even if twisted. Capacitive coupling.

BTW - I know what I speak about, as I design measuring instruments for fast transient signals in High Voltage and High Power laboratories.

And EMI/RF is the great contributor to audio amplifiers sound. Has to be measured by wideband measuring instruments and whole topology designed for minimum HF content.

It's interesting to compare and contrast stuff like hand-wired RF gear to hand-wired audio gear. I look at stuff like Leak or Rogers or Quad amps and marvel at the Mondrianic approach. Neat and absolutely beautiful. But it would never fly at RF, where we can't weave stuff into looms or move a component a cm to get a nice squared-off lead bend.

My ham radio stuff looked much more like John's work than it did like Harold Leak's. And it had somewhat more bandwidth...

But, Pavel, you keep going on about PROFESSIONAL equipment! Professional requirements just do not necessarily apply to COMMERCIAL stuff. I believe that the wires inside the BT are perfectly shielded from EM/RFI by the well-made chassis (although I have my doubts as to internal temperature; however, I would need more data to go into this).

Regards,
Milan

Milan, you are correct. The chassis is almost airtight! Once I had to buy a toilet plunger to grab onto the case cover to pull it away from the rest of the case.
Of course, we need physical separation to keep the wires from talking to each other, but only at audio frequencies, not RF. I know that it doesn't look super pretty, but it works!

Do you have any overheating issues with the sealed box, John? I assume not, as you wouldn't be selling it with problems like that, but I was just wondering about hotter components having shorter lives, and with the rarity of some of your component choices that could be troublesome down the line. Or do you keep stock just for that purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.