John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
stinius said:
Syn08 and Joshua

Maybe you just have a different meaning of the word or title”engineer”.

I just checked Wiki and it seems like the title is used different in different countries.
In Norway we have the same meaning and rules as in Canada it’s a protected title, but I don’t know how it is in Israel.

Stinius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer

It is the same here.
It seems that the difference in views here doesn't concern what the title and degree mean, but a possible way of conduct in ones' own home.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
KBK said:
It is also interesting to note that, under transient load, the micro-stability and level of dielectric constant in a given material will move toward zero. Some are more stable than others, but all materials will exhibit this. The trick is to show it via the right materials and the right loading. But it does happen. Since this is AC analysis combined with DC in the world of audio, and maintaining transient information 'positional' value is critical: This means that across the entire 'audio bandwidth' (which includes the skin effect 'translation/transition' region-in spades) and loading scenarios in given associated materials become a factor that can be heard by the ear - this of course, being the complex level and temporally sensitive harmonic analysis device that it (the ear-brain) is.

What this means is that the voltage field interactive (with materials and proximity) is far more critical than most give it credit for being.

As they say, the correct formulation of a given question will inherently contain the answer. Which is why someone who relies on their knowledge to put food on the table can be reluctant to even help formulate or shape a question. Only common sense.

Since all materials have a complex LCR and we impose complex loading..well.... what do you think? In the end..load variations cause, on their own..load variations. There is a non-linear resonant elastic in the system. More than one of them.

Wow.
I made a humble attempt at this but you are much more of an artisan than I.

:worship:

I have to wonder, SYN: Do you have anything, anything AT ALL to contribute towards the actual topic at hand? All you ever seem to offer is childish retorts and condemnation of others ideas. Not that the practice makes you any different than many of the other engineers I've met. The aura of skepticism that surrounds them is nearly visible in daylight. Have you made a suggestion, any suggestion, that might be useful to anyone here?

Surely, with your incredibly vast engineering expertise, you can help us delve into the subjects of:
Grounding techniques?
E field analysis, prediction?
Techniques to reduce RF susceptibility?
Permeability of commonly used Aluminium alloys to signal and noise?
Magnetostrictive effects, and their influence on audio signals?
Field coupling, and implied positive and negative feedback in an electrical circuit?
Resonance and microphony effects on signal conductors, and the audible effects of same?

Pick one, and start explaining what you know. Then we'll ask questions about the parts upon which we want more clarity and/or discussion.

Time to put up or shut up. Stop talking about how little of this you care about, and make an attempt to educate those who want to know. If you are unable to choose from those 7 very valid and pertinent engineering subjects, I'll choose the one for you.

No more psychoacoustics. Lets start talking about practical application. Schematics are only the DNA. Tell us about how to build the animal, if you please. That is where the real work begins.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
On "regulators" (loosely defined since it seems to be a controversial issue here) the conventional measurement for isolation is line regulation. As is evidenced by the Wenzel test I linked, some circuits need exceptional isolation from external noise sources, but being constant current (or constant power, etc.) they represent a non-fluctuating load, however they need high isolation from the source. Further connecting the ground reference to the wrong place could actually send the reference or worse the error currents back in a way that will degrade the effective regulation.

I think all of the back and forth over a "perfect" "regulator went past the issue of application to the regulated circuit. A perfect solution (e.g. Fluke 732B) may not work in your application (draws too much current). The point I'm making with this absurd example is that the regulation need to be in the context of the regulated device and matching the needs of the device.

As Scott's point about cables illustrates these things in isolation are interesting, but applied as a system there is much more to be learned.

Scott's cable measurements show some similarity to some measurments John Atkinson made years ago, and never followed up on either. Essentially the simple RLC of the cable can be shown to significantly alter the voltage at the speaker terminals (greater than .1 dB). Unfortunately that isn't as interesting or as satisfying as some more exotic aspect of Maxwell's equations. I would posit that the basic effects need to be corrected for before looking for the more difficult to measure effects of the cables. And they can hide any other effects that may be present.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
myhrrhleine said:
diffmaker is an excellent tool.
just don't take it as THE final authority.

No, I agree. And people are just now starting to put it through its paces and it still has to prove itself in the longer run.
Yet, many people have been looking for a sensitive way to correlate reported audible differences with electrical differences. Diffmaker may just bring that capability a step closer.

Jan Didden

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
1audio said:
I looked at the thread an it seems you are homebrewing an HP 8054A. I have one but its in storage since the other tools I have work much better for the most part.

Well I don't even know what a HP 8054A is, but if you say so.

1audio said:
is there something you are hoping to see that won't show up on another analyzer?

Micro-molecular quantum tunnelling. I’m going to get to the bottom of why delrin amplifier cases sound so much better than metal cases damn it!

Cheers,
Glen
:whacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.