John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Let me say it with a picture...

Andre Visser said:

Scott, that is quite interesting, I would have liked to see the comparison done with some more serious cable also. That said, you have measured the difference in peak response only, many of the differences is in low level detail and soundstage focus also, not sure how to measure that.

Everyone's missing the point, once a cable causes more than a dB of frequeny response deviation it is accected that a trained listener can hear it so there is no point in arguing over it.

If I wanted to repeat this seriously I would try it in an anechoic chamber with a calibrated mic or dummy head and no people in the vicinity.

Joshua - I think we are discussing two different things, you don't care if actual scientific measurements correlate to what you hear, that's fine. It's not the same as there is no measurement known to explain the difference and we have to discover a new thread in quantum mechanics to explain it.

Joshua_G said:
I select cables subjectively – for that all I'm interested in here is the way my system sounds to me.

However, I select cables (and most other components) by blind tests, to avaoid psychological effects.

It's your call (and your money) to do so, whatever makes you happy is good for you. But do you think others could successfully use your results on cables evaluation?

alansawyer said:

John, herein lies the difficulty for those of us that are of a more analytical persuasion.

By calling upon "differences that can't be easily measured" without stating what they are or what makes it difficult (although I note you didn't say impossible), you call upon 30 years of personal experience and many colleagues without any indication of who they are or what the experience is of, so it remains anecdote and unsubstantiated opinion, you state you do not know why these differences exist yet 30 years should have been enough to have allowed you to come up with something, or perhaps you have given up and just dropped into the "its all magic" school of thought ?

I have lost track of how many of your posts attempt to persuade by including a simple reference to how long you have been doing this and unnamed people you call upon as having spoken to, worked with etc, but to make it credible it needs details.

All this unsubstatiated opinion, and stating anecdote as fact is the sort of stuff we don't need in a forum thread that purports to discuss ways to advance the state of the art. It is not logical thought and without that we will not have progress.

OTOH it is entirely reasonable for you to simply select your system based on how it sounds to you, but that in no way means it is a faithful reproduction system.

This post show the heart of the problem. Learning, analytical 'minded' and 'proofs' don't always arrive in textbook manner.

If you apply brain power -or rather- 'teach yourself a way around this quandary'..or even..'allow yourself to reach fully into the situation' and then stew on it..or even.. do not dismiss the little bits hanging about, and take them as a group and analyze them..over time..ie build a case that works in that particular direction..... then you might begin to get a clue.

The real point here is that 'observed but not understood' exists.

Every day, every breath, it exists in your world. You don't have to take more than one second to speak on something where the logical description of a given thing defies us.

Why should this be any different?

John and I and others have noted an observed phenomena.

Why it should exist is not explained. Some of us know why those differences exist, some do not. But they are noted.

The problem in learning something new being a mishandled and stopped situation lies in thinking that anything observed is automatically false data if it is not scientifically substantiated.

This way lies madness. The madness of structured world with no changes in knowledge. The dark ages.

What I'm saying is: Such a tack or direction in learning, understanding, and explanations ..in that direction lies madness and the dark ages.

Some of you need to rethink exactly how you 'learn' things.

New things aren't in textbooks. They start with human observation.

All of them.

PMA, it is because they are working from a premature conclusion that wires can't have sonic differences between each other, rather than resistance, inductance, or capacitance. They are not trying to explain WHY differences exist, but postulate that differences DON'T exist and therefore insist that OUR experience is: "delusion, hallucination, group hallucination, mass hallucination, mere coincidence, sheer coincidence, or sloppy research." Have I missed anything?

syn08 said:

It's your call (and your money) to do so, whatever makes you happy is good for you. But do you think others could successfully use your results on cables evaluation?

No, others cannot use my results, for 2 main reasons:
1. The way a certain cable sounds in a system is dependent on the entire system, including the room acoustics and the listening position.
2. Different people have different sound preferences.

However, others may well select cables for their systems in a way similar to the one I use.

KBK said:

If you apply brain power -or rather- 'tech yourself a way around this quandary'..or even..'allow yourself to reach fully into the situation' and then stew on it..or even.. do not dismiss the little bits hanging about, and take them as a group and analyze them..over time..ie build a case that works in that particular direction..... then you might begin to get a clue.

Yep, such procedures will help finding a cure for cancer, or put a man on Mars, much faster.

Re: Re: Re: Let me say it with a picture...

scott wurcer said:
Everyone's missing the point, once a cable causes more than a dB of frequeny response deviation it is accected that a trained listener can hear it so there is no point in arguing over it.

If the influence of the cable was only a linear attenuation of the audio signal, it would be easy to increase the volume and it should sound the same, this is not the case.

I believe your test were done with 30AWG cable, not something that one will normally use on a good system, I fail to see the reasoning behind the test.

john curl said:
PMA, it is because they are working from a premature conclusion that wires can't have sonic differences between each other, rather than resistance, inductance, or capacitance. They are not trying to explain WHY differences exist, but postulate that differences DON'T exist and therefore insist that OUR experience is: "delusion, hallucination, group hallucination, mass hallucination, mere coincidence, sheer coincidence, or sloppy research." Have I missed anything?

Yes: bias towards brand, cost and looks. Also, being influenced by others' recommendations, be it friends, or published reviews.

Joshua_G said:

No, others cannot use my results, for 2 main reasons:
1. The way a certain cable sounds in a system is dependent on the entire system, including the room acoustics and the listening position.
2. Different people have different sound preferences.

However, others may well select cables for their systems in a way similar to the one I use.

Am I wrong, or do we have an agreement here?

I don't think anybody here is stuffing "scientifically certified" cables down your throat. You can use whatever pleases your ears, but make sure when telling about that it's your own selection and other may be dissapointed.

Engineers will select their cables based on scientific criteria and tell "according to my measurements and DBT testing there is/is not a difference between these two cables".

Everything is fine, until some :censored: snake oil merchands or anti-intellectual ignorants start talking pseudo science (like - no pun intended - "under transient load, the micro-stability and level of dielectric constant in a given material will move toward zero" ) to justify $1000/ft. for cryogenically treated silver monocrystal cable. That's where my fuses are getting short.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
PMA, it is because they are working from a premature conclusion that wires can't have sonic differences between each other, rather than resistance, inductance, or capacitance. [snip] Have I missed anything?

Possibly. I don't know if there are other physical differences between cables that can cause audible differences.

But there's one thing we can't get around: IF there is a genuine, repeatable, statistically reliable audible difference between cables, it can ONLY be because the electrical signal at the speaker differs. And that can in principle be measured. Always.

Jan Didden

Originally posted by syn08

Am I wrong, or do we have an agreement here?

No, you are right, we do have an agreement here.

I don't think anybody here is stuffing "scientifically certified" cables down your throat.

May be.

You can use whatever pleases your ears, but make sure when telling about that it's your own selection and other may be dissapointed.

I never recommended anyone else any piece of audio gear.
When asked, I recommend selecting by ones' own listening, on ones' own system.

Engineers will select their cables based on scientific criteria and tell "according to my measurements and DBT testing there is/is not a difference between these two cables".

I know some engineers who select cables and other pieces of audio gear the same way I do, or in a very similar way. Not all engineers think along the same lines. I know some engineers who acknowledge that listening tests, if done properly, are serving them better than any measurements.

Everything is fine, until some :censored: snake oil merchands or anti-intellectual ignorants start talking pseudo science (like - no pun intended - "under transient load, the micro-stability and level of dielectric constant in a given material will move toward zero" ) to justify $1000/ft. for cryogenically treated silver monocrystal cable. That's where my fuses are getting short.

Some of my cables are fairly expansive, but they were selected neither by price nor by any promotional rap.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: Re: Re: Let me say it with a picture...

scott wurcer said:

Getting a bit flustered? :D
The fact is you didn't make a valid point. You set out to demonstrate how the change in the resistance of the cable you used changed the output of the speaker. Sure, it looks that way on the plot you have shown, but how accurate is this result? Not very, because:
scott wurcer said:
If I wanted to repeat this seriously I would try it in an anechoic chamber with a calibrated mic or dummy head and no people in the vicinity.
Your controls for the test were not stringent enough, therefore your results are completely inconclusive.

scott wurcer said:
Why use more than you need?

You need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.