John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joshua_G said:

<snip>

However, are you sure that others cannot hear such difference, due to actual sound differences between cables?

One can never be sure about that, but as long as no real proof or evidence is presented, everybody has the right to think that there might not exist any real audible difference.

Unfortunately the discussion around these highly controversial issues does have similarities to religious discussions; i think it would much more help to work together in a constructive manner to enhance the test procedures.

Wishes

Jakob2 said:

One can never be sure about that, but as long as no real proof or evidence is presented, everybody has the right to think that there might not exist any real audible difference.

Unfortunately the discussion around these highly controversial issues does have similarities to religious discussions; i think it would much more help to work together in a constructive manner to enhance the test procedures.

Wishes

Agreed.
However, I fail to get the reason for the emotionally-charged attacks of some that don't hear differences on others that claim to hear.

It appears that Lipshitz would be deaf to just about anything, unless he cheated on an ABX type test. I know, for sure, that his audio thru-path has always been marginal.
I caught him once with a 6 dB droop (on both settings) at 15KHz, and he failed to notice it. It just about killed him to get a polarity reversal test passed. How do we know that he didn't cheat then? What is the point in all this? I recommend that you use your own ears, don't argue with others, and you will get what you deserve.

However, are you sure that others cannot hear such difference, due to actual sound differences between cables?

For about the 15th time, I am not sure that others can't hear the differences. It's just that no-one has demonstrated that they could do so, absent basic engineering issues. Until such an event, it's a better use of my time to concentrate on issues that people have been able to demonstrate that are audible. And, of course, to engineer my components so simple L, C, and R issues are not a significant factor.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Andre Visser said:

So there it is proven that some can detect differences that other will miss. ;)

Joshua_G said:

Isn't it quite obvious?

john curl said:
It appears that Lipshitz would be deaf to just about anything, unless he cheated on an ABX type test. I know, for sure, that his audio thru-path has always been marginal.
I caught him once with a 6 dB droop (on both settings) at 15KHz, and he failed to notice it. It just about killed him to get a polarity reversal test passed. How do we know that he didn't cheat then? What is the point in all this? I recommend that you use your own ears, don't argue with others, and you will get what you deserve.

John
It seem like somebody is using what you call a deaf person to say that it's obvious that you can "hear" the difference.
It was a trap ok, but it was a good trap.
I can also hear differences between wires, but the thing that makes be a bit suspicious is when somebody claims that they can hear the difference if the wire is connected the other way.
Could you or anyone please explain how that is possible?

Stinius

Originally posted by SY

For about the 15th time, I am not sure that others can't hear the differences.

However, you seem to oppose those that report hearing differences in well engineered cables.

Originally posted by SY

It's just that no-one has demonstrated that they could do so, absent basic engineering issues.

I demonstrated it to myself.
I'm not in the business, or game, of demonstrating it to others. However, should you visit nearby, I'd be happy to demonstrate it to you, in whatever procedure you may choose.

Originally posted by SY

Until such an event, it's a better use of my time to concentrate on issues that people have been able to demonstrate that are audible.

Demonstrate to whom? To you? To the "scientific community"?

stinius said:

Count me in on that one.

Lineup so you have a white Christmas at you place? That's up in the north of Sweden is it? Here at the west coast of Norway it's no snow at all.

Stinius

Stinius
Live in Swedish Lapland. Lycksele. Between Umeå and norwegian border. The main road E12 (Blaa vaegen) goes by here to Mo I Rana, via Tärnaby.
West Coast Norway and Gothenburg is not as cold winters. Warm stream in the Atlantic. My sister in Gothenburg tells they have no snow now.
I told her: boring winter without snow and skiing
Norway is a 'cross country skiing nation' and has got lots of snow, elsewhere.

Regards Lineup

Image shows the typical weather up here, seen from the online Tärnaby Webcam.
Webcam link: http://www.storuman.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=230

Attachments

• tarnaby_webcam.jpg
    tarnaby_webcam.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 304
SY said:

Clearly not. I gave you a valid test procedure and you blew it off.

What is invalid in my procedure (save that the 2 cables are connected in parallel to the source, which I'll change)? I mean, invalid for my own use, not as published research. What is invalid when at least dozen of times I hear the same certain qualities to cable "A" and the same different qualities to cable "B", not knowing at the time of the test which cable is "A" and which is "B"?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
lineup said:

Stinius
Live in Swedish Lapland. Lycksele. Between Umeå and norwegian border. The main road E12 (Blaa vaegen) goes by here to Mo I Rana, via Tärnaby.

West Coast Norway and Gothenburg is not as cold winters. Warm stream in the Atlantic. My sister in Gothenburg tells they have no snow now.
I told her: boring winter without snow and skiing

Norway is a 'cross country skiing nation' and has got lots of snow, elsewhere.

Regards Lineup

Linup

I have been there; Tärnaby is the place where Ingemar Stenmark comes from?
I remember on a tour in northern Norway and the roades in Norway was closed due to heavy weather and a lot of snow we had to drive over Bjørnefjell and up to Tärnaby, and then back to Norway again.

Stinius

janneman said:

Stanley Lipshitz was able to score 100% on the Tiefenbrunn test because he discovered that in one situation (with a SONY PCM-1 in the chain) the background hiss was slightly higher. No other panel member got that and scored basically the same as random guesses.

Jan Didden

BTW John you never commented on my question about the Wilson Audio LP with the same test as above with only a Soundstream in and out of the path. The short term frequency responses of the two tracks are not even close, as much as +-3dB off in spots. I can't tell the difference between the two even so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.