Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my most favorite HighEnd scope:

Attachments

• 556.jpg
    556.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 627
scott wurcer said:

Yes amazing things. I forgot to mention the sampling was done by 4 snap diodes in a bridge one leg soldered to the center conductor through two holes drilled in the hard line and the opposite leg soldered directly to the 6CW4 grid.

In my diploma project I used 2 diodes in a short rectangular tube, with a wall inside between diodes. One was a Gann diode that oscillated on 10.7 MHz, another one was a mixing diode. There was a hole in the wall between them, so direct wave and reflected from outside one were coming to the mixing diode. On the mixing diode I detected Doppler caused signals... It was an alarm system of a match box size (well, a bit bigger). The hybrid IC covered the tube from rear side, the tube was also a heatsink for the IC. It was a real project developed for mass consumer market, but it was canceled because guys from our laboratory figured out how to use my device for TV reception. It was in Soviet Union, so people could not receive satellite broadcasts freely, they had to be feed by a politcorrect information only...

Diodes are great things! All bipolar devices are actually variable diodes... When people use emitter followers as buffers they often don't think about them as ordinary diodes linearized by feedback... Highly non-linear, though linearized...

jneutron said:

I don't think anybody knows.

But the point I would make is, current SOTA does not embrace the parameters we humans use to localize an image..We have no piece of test equipment that can find a 5 or 10 uSec sibilance shift interchannel, when a complex set of waveforms is present. (you know, like..."music")

As such, if Cheryl's vocal sibilance is driven to the right 15 degrees spacially with respect to the rest of her voice, how would I measure that? Nothing I am aware of can do this, as it can be a temporal shift of tens of microseconds, Interchannel level shift tenths of a dB, or heaven forbid, a result of channel dither due to a driver position/velocity modulation. (especially a single driver system).

John Curl uses his ears for that stuff..

I believe that is a good call..

Uh oh, a "belief":eek: ..sheesh..

Cheers, John

I don't use my ears for such measurements, I use my eyes. :D
Identical as possible layout for both channels, careful observation of current paths and possible capacitive couplings, etc... It is visible if leakages will be asymmetrical.

Also, I visualize all processes in mind, it helps. No, it is necessary!
If I don't see the schematic in my mind, if I don't hear and don't feel it inside of my imaginations, I can't consider that the draft is ready to be breadboarded for the experiment.

Am I crazy? :xeye:

Wavebourn said:
I don't use my ears for such measurements, I use my eyes. :D
Identical as possible layout for both channels, careful observation of current paths and possible capacitive couplings, etc... It is visible if leakages will be asymmetrical.

Also, I visualize all processes in mind, it helps. No, it is necessary!
If I don't see the schematic in my mind, if I don't hear and don't feel it inside of my imaginations, I can't consider that the draft is ready to be breadboarded for the experiment.
Am I crazy? :xeye:

If you are, you have company.

But once built, it must test on bench and with ears.

Once music has been introduced, the signal complexity prohibits the use of test equipment for localization. This is where the ears/brain excel...we are hunters..

Stereo music drives the system asymmetrically...ears are the final say..at picking up symmetry within asymmetry.

Cheers, John

Nelson Pass said:

Perhaps that's why men seem to be more avid audiophiles.

:cool:

Right, and like bringing some fresh meat home (to the cave) men made women feel better, our wifes enjoy our creations! :D
Mine allows me to use my PA system for a home movie theater because she likes how it sounds... But may be it is something deeper in genes coming from times where men were hunters?

:bigeyes:

Edit: no... I don't think our common grand-grand-grand-grand mother would be happy bring her husband a bunch of rats instead of a juicy goat... :D

anything & everything

thank you for your response John,I LOLed,seriously did"nt hearing evolve before vision,& therefore can affect us faster than visual stuff which needs more interpretation.What I,m trying to say is sound localization is hard wired in our brains and can invoke flight or fight reflex (adrenaline rush)without us needing to think....whatever good that is.
regards
max

Re: anything & everything

albin said:
What I,m trying to say is sound localization is hard wired in our brains

Yah, that's the hunter part.

It amazes me the hoops and fences the neuro-audio type researchers jump through and over in their description of the complex process within the brain..someday, they'll settle down with a model.

I think the best model I've seen so far is kinda like a very large FIR quasi digital thingy...don't know if it's right, but looked neat..

Honestly, I'd just be happy if they'd develop schmoo plots of ITD vs IID to compare two speaker localization cue correlation to single source locations...sheesh, is that too much to ask for?? Really?

Cheers, John

ps...man, say that three times fast after a martini...:xeye:

The best model I liked was made of kind of parallel subtraction analog processor where new sensory information was subtracted from existing experience, reactions repeated, and the remainder forms a new "cell" of a memory-processor in the chain.

I even heard of a device that uses this principle, kind of a self-learning robot. Some AI software were developed to teach such a creature without harming a real world by trials and mistakes, then the information about the project disappeared. Does it mean success in some military fields?

Many years ago VDH came up to me at a CES and told me about a measurement that he had made using special test equipment that he got from Phillips Research Labs. He said that he found a problem at about 50nV in wire. I could not duplicate his work then, and it would be very difficult to do now, but I believe him, because he has no need to put me on, and much to lose, if I found out that he attempted to do so. Where has he gone with this? First, he made linear crystal copper wires, then carbon fiber wires, and now amorphous metal alloy wires. He is making real efforts in this direction, but he doesn't bother to 'prove' it to anyone, except with their ears. One 'linear crystal' cable that he made still is my reference cable when I calibrate my distortion analyzer to better than 1 part in 1 million. It measures better than almost any coax cable that I own, or have independently measured. Why, is still beyond my ability to explain.
It might be found that this 'residual' resistance contains real nonlinearities that most people ignore, and explains our listening experience with 'break-in', cryoing, differences between 'linear crystal' and typical wire, and finally, wire purity.
Of course, it could be all our imagination. :scratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.