John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It occurs to me that only one or two members responding in this thread question the fact that all our acedemic theories, keen designs, selection of the most expensive components and design techniques have not to this day brouhgt us the ultimate listening experience.

As my observations, contacts and listening experiences have confirmed, we have been looking in the wrong direction. On the other hand the discoveries that have lead to the ultimate listening perception and experience are outside "normal" thinking and lie more in the line of modern physics. You become part of the total sound structure and EXPERIENCE the sound as it was during the recording.

It is not my personal discovery, but with those I'm working with, we have managed to realize this goal. In fact this knowledge is way ahead of it's time and therefore not available to anyone. I will also not disclose any information on how to achieve this.

With all due respect John, but even your $ 25.000 Blowtorch is not capable of giving the ultimate listening experience, as good as it may sound. However I think that given the framework of your electronics knowledge and experience I think you have achieved the highest possible. Yet a few have managed to take audio reproduction to it's next step which is a whole different ballgame.

courage said:
. However I think that given the framework of your electronics knowledge and experience I think you have achieved the highest possible. Yet a few have managed to take audio reproduction to it's next step which is a whole different ballgame.

It all seems rather obvious - once the framework of electronics is exhausted the next higher level can only be reached through the framework of chemistry. Little wonder you don't quite have the courage for further disclosures :)

Analog sa:

It is not a matter of not having the courage to disclose my (our) method, but the certainty that it will be brushed aside by many, if not all.

Elso:

For that amount of money you could certainly go to a lot of concerts, which if you have that much to spend, would probably be the best choice. I have explained the basics of this method in our early encounters, remember :) ?

Jacco:

You seem to have a tendency to twist the words of others you don't agree with to your liking. If you do not understand what I am talking about, you are free to ask. I will start another thread on my subject when the time is right.

I have nothing against John and I think he's smart enough to interprete my words in a mature way. My remark is actually a salute to John for achieving the level he has. No offence whatsoever!

I feel a little uncomfortable when others start dictating what I should or should not talk about in a certain thread.

courage said:
As my observations, contacts and listening experiences have confirmed, we have been looking in the wrong direction. On the other hand the discoveries that have lead to the ultimate listening perception and experience are outside "normal" thinking and lie more in the line of modern physics. You become part of the total sound structure and EXPERIENCE the sound as it was during the recording.

Lesson 1:
You never know what's on the recording.
There is always a better way to reproduce it, but the original you never know.

courage said:
Yet a few have managed to take audio reproduction to it's next step which is a whole different ballgame.

Lesson 2:
It is always possible to make better.

Moral of the story: this is all smoke. :clown:

Some guys are very good at filling web pages with words about smoke, just to sell audiophiles the last word on some miraculous device.
That's a gift, because some audiophines are very open to hear whatever you wanna tell them, and then they realize they can't live without that, gotta buy it.
Good luck for your business.

Once upon a time a person signed up as a member here. The member made, as far as I know, only one post. The post said, rather breathlessly (this is as direct a quote as I can manage; it's been quite a while): "Everyone should stand by. I'm going to design a Class A amplifier!"
Perhaps the Earth stood still for a moment in anticipation, but I didn't feel it and it didn't make the papers.
We get these chest-pounding posts from time to time. In an average year, you'll run across two, maybe three. They are--without exception--more an expression of personality type than anything else. Since we've already had one this year, I'd kinda hoped that we'd have a break for a few months, but...alas...t'was not to be.
Perhaps, with luck, once we get past the inevitable protestations of "No, I'm serious! I really do know The Secret...but I can't tell you, because then I'd have to kill you," the attitude, the anger, and the general rude behavior, not to mention thread-jacking and other sundry offenses, perhaps...just maybe, the thread can resume discussion of more mundane things.
Like real world circuits that make real music.

Grey

'Crank up the crystals! Sharpen the razors!
Here comes Courage, armed with his convictions....!'

It's possible Courage has found a way to sonic Nirvana. But to signal the achievement of his team by allusion, then demur the details because he would only invite derision from non-believers, is ingenuous and indicates a thirst for adulation without substance.

Courage, if your discovery is seminal, can you discuss the philosophy of it at least?

John, in your design of the Blowtorch, did you attempt to mold the distortion spectrum any particular way? We hear of the monotonic decrease in distortion artefacts, but is there more to it in your opinion?

Cheers,

Hugh

Life vs. recorded sound

carlosfm said:
Lesson 1:
You never know what's on the recording.
There is always a better way to reproduce it, but the original you never know.

Hi,
I often visit live concerts of classical music in good acoustic places. Often they sell a CD of their performances. Coming home from the concert I then play the newly acquired CD. A very learning experience! (Sometimes frustrating too).
So there I get my idea of the original sound!
:cool: :cool:

In history and even today, every major technological, scientific or other breakthrough has been brought about by individuals who dared to take a step in the opposite direction, against the widely accepted academic thinking which is far too often taken for granted. Hence my signature.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jean-paul said:
:cop:

Choky, please be aware of the fact we do not tolerate the kind of conversation like the language in your post. Although opposite opinions may not be your cup of tea please count to ten first before replying like this.

This is an official warning.

:cop:

like in court :
point taken ,but I'm glad that you didn't erase my post from protocol

I'm pretty used to fact that opposite opinions here are always (almost) also some sort of contribution.......

courage didn't contribute anything

neither do I......but.......

Re: Life vs. recorded sound

Elso Kwak said:
Hi,
I often visit live concerts of classical music in good acoustic places. Often they sell a CD of their performances. Coming home from the concert I then play the newly acquired CD. A very learning experience! (Sometimes frustrating too).
So there I get my idea of the original sound!
:cool: :cool:

Of course Elso, but what I meant is that you never know what's on the disc.
It can sound good, it can sound bad, but are you sure your are reproducing as faithfuly as possible what's recorded there?
You never know.
You can have a really high standard way of reproducing the disc and enjoy, but you don't know what's on the original recording.
The final disc pressing is also far from the original recording.

Live, unamplified music is another story, and it is always something you must have in mind when listening to a system. Is it similar to real instruments? Do the instruments sound real? You must know the sound of the instruments to have an idea, and that means you must sometimes go to the right concerts, concentrate on the music, feel what each instrument sounds like.

poobah said:
What I know (and many other's) is this,

1. The wiring has large loop areas... this is bad... any magnetic field wandering along just found a nice playpen.

2. The "solid billet aluminum" chassis will do nearly nothing to prevent the intrusion of magnetic fields.

3. The amount of voltage induced in these loops is probably insignificant... why then is the resistance of copper wire significant... and please don't bring up "sonic" sheep dip.

4. The style of wiring leaves much to be desired for another less obvious reason. Who would want to repair this? Of course it's made out of the finest cryogenically abused devices that will NEVER fail. One benchmark of quality products is serviceability.

This is frustrating when you consider that if they chose to use copper wire; maybe they wouldn't have been so inspired to scrimp on every inch of it.

This is as bad as St*** Nug***'s "Holophonic" $1500 power cords.... puleeeze!

Good man!

Status
Not open for further replies.