John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I propose.

I will get six sets of cable and send them to six different people including Mr.Curl, hopefully Mr.Pass and Mr.Hansen will care to participate and three other people that have suitable test equipment.

Then Mr,Curl and one of these independant testers could come out with the set of test criteria that is agreeable to everyone. The results could be tabulated and shared by everyone. Hopefully we can shed some light on the issue.

Jam

jam said:
This is what I propose.

I will get six sets of cable and send them to six different people including Mr.Curl, hopefully Mr.Pass and Mr.Hansen will care to participate and three other people that have suitable test equipment.

Then Mr,Curl and one of these independant testers could come out with the set of test criteria that is agreeable to everyone. The results could be tabulated and shared by everyone. Hopefully we can shed some light on the issue.

Shed some light on what issue exactly? We've already established that even steel cored copperweld cable isn't producing distortion that can be seen above -145dB. What light do you expect doing the same thing all over again will shed?

se

Steve,

The idea is to be fair, a larger sample (test) population and standardized test procedure will go a long way to prove it, one way or another.

Right now it seems more like one persons word against another's which is unscientific and hardly conclusive.

Regards,

Jam

G.Kleinschmidt said:

Yep. It is silly to bother making an amplifier with less than (say) 0.15% non-linearity and those that make any such effort are clearly deluded, but things such as this and ppb differences in resistor types takes priority in “proper” audio design.

Correct. Cables are not about harmonic distortion, and even big guys seem not to have realized yet.

jam said:
This is what I propose.

Jam

One problem with this experiment is that the high-end cables are probably hand-made and may not be perfectly identical. These measurements are like trying to pick fly **** out of pepper. Any miniscule construction differences may produce equally miniscule sonic differences.

Best, Chuck Hansen

Mr.Curl,

So would you care to enlighten us on what you were measuring, what the test criteria was and how we could we repeat these measurements.

Is this not a scientific discussion to quantify and qualify distortion mechanisms in cables? ..........or am I wrong?......then what pray tell is the purpose of this discussion?

You have asked me to back away from this proposal, could you please explain why? This is a scientific discussion and not a witch hunt. Don't you want to prove your results and methodology? Is the goal not to better our understanding of audio and elevating the art?

I like several members here have built our own own cables and would like to know what materials, type of construction and geometry produces the best results............all of which should bear some correrlation to your results.

Best regards,

Jam

Chuck,

You make a very good point so I propose we use manufactured cables and then only from the same batch (or spool).

To further improve the reliability of the results we could also rotate the samples between the testers which would also work with hand made cables.

Regards,

Jam

Eureka, I just hit gold!
Being forced to address a cable measurement that I happened across about 15 years ago, I again fired up my equipment to see what I could see.
At first, I got a stable output with a 5KHz sine wave at 50mV and did noise averaging (25X) and looked at the 'residual. Well something in my room, with EVERYTHING ELSE off gave me 27.312KHz (I have pretty fancy test equipment) at a level higher than anything else, except for my null which unfortunately isn't nulling so well anymore. Well, I can throw this out, because it is probably those damn light bulbs that we now all use.
Then I tried the nearest Radio Shack cable that I had handy, one well used around here for general work. IT measured the same as the residual for the most part. Oh, oh, more work to get the residual down, but then EUREKA! I plugged in an equal length of Millennimum 5000 cable just sitting around here over the years. All hell broke loose! Just like the good old days.
Is this fair? I don't know. I could measure other cables as I have done so many times in the past, and measure a few differences I am sure.
Now what happened to the RADIOSHACK so mercilessly exposed 10-15 years ago? It broke in, and most of its residual went away. I have seen it on several occasions.

Warning don't try to measure this at home, and we have had bad luck with AP setups, gounding issues I think.

john curl said:
However, a few years ago I got interested in quantum mechanics, and having the math background, I thought that I could teach myself to understand some of the fundamental ideas. I bought books, 40 on quantum mechanics at last count, and still pick and poke at them. Every time I read Feynman I fall into a 'coma' the concepts being so overwhelming. I find Heisenberg easier to read.

Feynman's lectures is not nearly as readable as people would like you to think it is. I'd suggest Solymar and Walsh. It's a very nice introduction to QM in the first three or four chapters and has a charming British wit to it.

For what it's worth, most students just work to pass the course and couldn't do something unique with the information they just learned. I'll admit that I fall into that category when it comes to some of the solid state stuff. I do quite well with contact mechanics, but I've done some work with electrical contact resistance and I'm forced to resort to work on tunneling through oxide barrier layers that it would take me years to derive. It's the very few that continue to make progress, whether it be in novel applications or the base of knowledge. The rest live in the shadows so to speak.

john curl said:

...but then EUREKA! I plugged in an equal length of Millennimum 5000 cable just sitting around here over the years. All hell broke loose! Just like the good old days.

john curl said:

Scott, you have heard of external interference haven't you?

Can you be a little more specific about what you're seeing? I, for one, am not able to to follow along. Are you saying that some cables are better shielded than others and that it's a question of external fields interacting with the cable/signal?

Grey

I think that this frequency is from the new light bulbs. I turned off several and the output reduced, but even with every bulb turned off in my apartment, there is some leakage from the hallway, and other apartments. We are measuring very low levels.
Everything that I really have to say has been said before on pp. 130-139 on the link that Charles put forth here, and is Dimitri's compilation of my previous efforts, including typical measured outputs. Please don't bother me for this info further, as it is already available to you.

GRollins said:
Are you saying that some cables are better shielded than others and that it's a question of external fields interacting with the cable/signal?

Grey

Are you kidding?

You can measure more than 20dB difference of RF attenuation of different cables. You have twisted unshielded, twisted shielded but shield at only one end connected, and coaxials of different quality. There are huge differences between these cables, when connected to your (mine) audio chain. You can see it with good scope with high sensitivity. Anyway, I measure also with Rohde Schwarz FSP7 analyzer. I assume it PROVEN that it is the HF content that makes it sound different.

Status
Not open for further replies.