John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banned
Joined 2005
Yeah, you have made it plain on multiple occasions that there are a number of things you 'hate,' 'can't stand,' etc. Anything that annoys you catches your ire, and that includes people that disagree with you without providing proof to your satisfaction that you are wrong. Of course, it annoys you to be wrong.

So the 7805 can sound better than a modern LDO, understood and duly noted.

If and when I'll buy a DAC based on the AK4499 I'll make sure I pop the lid and check out the regulator; If it's anything but a 7805, in particular one of those QFN leg less monsters, I should let the salesman know about one Mark4 on the DIYAudio forum and his amazing conclusio,n then pass the deal, right?

Joined 2019
I would never listen anywhere near 92dB average level possibly not even 70dB. The numbers here are not making sense, there are speakers with 90dB/W sensitivity, at 6 Ohms DC resistance that's 400mA. So at 1W in I could boil water with a voice coil?

Last speakers were 95db/W.....new ones are 98db/W

Idk what’s not making sense except for the utter lack of respect for my hearing?
tbh, I’ve been around extremely loud music my entire life and can still hear up to 15k......if anything my hearing is getting better (at least in the range I can still hear!)
poking around the web there’s some mention about genetics being involved as to how sensitive one is to loud noise.

Edit......yah, wow....I always liked the way Dave carried himself. RIP

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:D

Attachments

• 01D0F378-707A-4082-9341-3C6FE277C625.jpeg
    01D0F378-707A-4082-9341-3C6FE277C625.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 193
Joined 2019
Please, all clubs are different, and where you stand, how many people are around, and even the time of evening, all make a big difference.

Ya ever use generalization?

It’s kinda hard to cover every minutia of detail when posting.....what kind of music? The loud kind. ;)

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...I don't think people appreciate how much limiting and compression go into a final mix in almost all recordings...

Cheers,
Howie

Appreciation is not the first feeling that come to my mind thinking about mastering and comprssion :)

//

Joined 2010
But once you put into the formula that he (affiliated with jam's audio business) has gone into the full blown shill mode now (was in sleeper mode when he joined this forum), then it makes sense. :nod:...
What has Jam Somasundram ever did to you that you find it offensive for anybody to give an opinion on his work? Are you trying to tarnish his good reputation?

Joined 2008
Thermal time constants have been completely ignored in all these numbers the heating effect is not instantaneous.

Exactly, its like saying an audio compressor at low compression ratio is adding 35% distortion. Why do people who should know better get away with this kind of BS? The paper up till then was acurrate, too bad.

Joined 2008
What I see as the biggest problem with thermal compression is the varying amount/time constants of different drivers affecting the freq. response.

Joined 2016
I doubt anyone with a deep understanding is involved, look at the Hawksford debacle. I said the other day I missed DF96 only to find out he has passed away, truly sad.

No need to get wacky with the physics, but not planning to get into details anyway.

Sorry to hear about DF96, I wondered about him too.

Joined 2016
If it's anything but a 7805, in particular one of those QFN leg less monsters, I should let the salesman know about one Mark4 on the DIYAudio forum and his amazing conclusio,n then pass the deal, right?

Fine. At least you aren't claiming I'm a shill for 7805 makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.