head bump1.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 299
  • head bump2.jpg
    head bump2.jpg
    792.8 KB · Views: 293
  • head bump3.jpg
    head bump3.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 279
Another question was asked about the usefulness of the Hirata test. Well, in one case I found a real difference that I could fix. This was the so called 77studio board that I originally made for tape recorders and studio consoles. It had an AC balance (see cap in the middle of the board) that nulled the 2'nd to almost nothing. However, it also activated an error signal in the Hirata test when it was installed. Remove the cap, and the harmonic rose slightly, BUT the Hirata distortion disappeared.

Attachments

• 77 studio board.jpg
    77 studio board.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 281
Ah. Interesting.

It appears to me that the balance trimmer is nulling differences between the Vaf AKA Early effect of the Jfet gate drivers.

Often in a circuit like this one of the Jfet gate drivers has a stiffer collector and the other collector just ends up being a useless load on the stage. But you can at least balance the asymmetrical Vafs. You could even use it to null the 2nd harmonic in all the other stages.

Depending on the transistors though it may have taken a lot of persuasion. The balance can drive one half up to 2x harder than the other.

It would be interesting to see a gain vs balance chart for the middle stage.

EDIT: The reference voltage at this point in the circuit is the positive rail, so C3 going to ground is a mistake. Maybe there was not enough ripple to matter, but maybe there was?

Last edited:
Another question was asked about the usefulness of the Hirata test. Well, in one case I found a real difference that I could fix. This was the so called 77studio board that I originally made for tape recorders and studio consoles. It had an AC balance (see cap in the middle of the board) that nulled the 2'nd to almost nothing. However, it also activated an error signal in the Hirata test when it was installed. Remove the cap, and the harmonic rose slightly, BUT the Hirata distortion disappeared.

Where was P3 set at?

One more time just for Derfy the !!!!

This is what I think is a revealing test IM from 700 & 750 hertz test tones at 10 VRMS combined.

Mouse over the thumbnail to see the label.

If Dimitri is in good form he might reveal why these results are so inportant!

Attachments

• Wurth Electrolytic Series COG Cap 9 V bias 10K Series Resistor.jpg
    Wurth Electrolytic Series COG Cap 9 V bias 10K Series Resistor.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Wurth Electrolytic With Series caps 5 uF NPO.jpg
    Wurth Electrolytic With Series caps 5 uF NPO.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Wurth 860010772005 Electrolytic No bias  Mouser.jpg
    Wurth 860010772005 Electrolytic No bias Mouser.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 99
  • IM TDK CGA5L2COGAH104J160AA  50V NPO 50 500 5000 10x 4,1 1,4.jpg
    IM TDK CGA5L2COGAH104J160AA 50V NPO 50 500 5000 10x 4,1 1,4.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 125
One more time just for Derfy the !!!!

This is what I think is a revealing test IM from 700 & 750 hertz test tones at 10 VRMS combined.

There's no useful information given with the plots, like what's the difference and where do you get these caps? I think I mentioned the Vishay line a week or so ago that Samuel measured for his thesis, do you want me to buy you a batch? They are not that expensive or audiophile at all, normal stock items that anyone can buy. In fact the values for an RIAA where it might matter are <$1.

You would appreciate this. I'm feeling a little flush today, in going through my father's effects I found 5oz of Pt that my sister might have junked.

Parts description is visible if you scroll mouse over the thumbnail image.

Just too fast a clicker. I see electrolytics but the NPO is -130dB so what's the issue there are brands that do a little better and Vishay films that show virtually nothing.
BTW Ed, if you put one of the 1nV in amps at G =100 in front of the AP you can lower the noise floor as long as the ESR of the caps is low enough.

Last edited:
Pavel,

Same test rig I have used now for years and shown many times. AP System 2 XLR out and in. Generates 700 & 750 hertz equal parts combined to 10 VRMS. 10 Devices under test in a 4/1 and 1/4 bridge. I have almost a dozen different types to test.

Any signal applied to the devices should not appear at the output. However the limit to the null is the match of the devices. I use my GR bridge to sort the values and then assemble the best matched bridge I can from the values. Worst leakage of the test signal so far is - 60 dB from the test source. Unlike the resistor test shown there are no nulling pieces. Just selected capacitors. (Also note the triangle symbol at the bottom of the schematic is a balanced return not a ground.

As can be seen from the electrolytics used in this test they get noisier from the small DC offset of the AP's oscillator. Not surprising as there is no control on if they are forward or reverse biased. Inserting the COG capacitors in series with the source signal drops the base noise level. Adding a bias voltage also changes the result. Next test is with a bias voltage higher than the peak signal voltage.

However what is shown so far does illustrate an issue that the electrolytic capacitors have passing an audio signal. (Hint it is not the distortion effects.)

Attachments

• Set Up Picture.jpg
    Set Up Picture.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Resistor Test Jig.jpg
    Resistor Test Jig.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Pavel why do you show the distortion in volts rather than in relative dBs? I always need to do mental gymnastics to convert the values to dB and it isn't very accurate either.

Jan

Jan, at least you have some mental training :p. I'll be better next time.

This topology has much lower distortion for smaller signals like 1V. Anyone interested? I think we went through about 10 years ago. Time is passing quickly :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.