John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is very little wrong with the OPPO design imo. I have seen tweekers on this site do horrible things to the internals, claiming improved sound. Sometimes completely misunderstanding the circuitry they are trying to improve, and never backed up by credible measurements.

This on top of the fact that in blind tests, decent CD implementations sound indistinguishable.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Ok then, I’m surprised that anyone still uses them at all!

I admittedly do in my car, as it came with a CD player, and its a car.

I wonder how long until computer manufacturers stop providing cd/dvd players?
Doesn't that mean you have suprised yourself? :p

I have 4 rooms in the house with sound and 2 cars. CD is the only medium in common across all of them so is the defacto universal source. Maybe play 2 CDs a week though.

There is very little wrong with the OPPO design imo. I have seen tweekers on this site do horrible things to the internals, claiming improved sound. Sometimes completely misunderstanding the circuitry they are trying to improve, and never backed up by credible measurements.

This on top of the fact that in blind tests, decent CD implementations sound indistinguishable.

Could you cite some of these "cd player blind tests" ? I´m always interested in results from controlled listening tests, but on the cd player topic i just know about a few, but at least two of those had contrary results.
As quite often details in the test documentation are missing it is mainly problematic to draw conclusions from the test results.

Important point of course is, that first of all the "blind test" must be decent... :cool:

Ok then, I’m surprised that anyone still uses them at all!

I admittedly do in my car, as it came with a CD player, and its a car.

I wonder how long until computer manufacturers stop providing cd/dvd players?

They already do. I don't think you can buy too many PCs with an optical drive anymore. Certainly not laptops, anyway. I have a giant mid-tower case with no 5.25" bays now. Blu-ray is the only reason they still produce them probably.

Unfortunate that even Blu-ray will probably become irrelevant soon. Nothing has video quality like it. Any kind of 4k internet stream is sad when you compare it to a BD 108 or 128 Mbps stream. Netflix and Youtube's 4K bitrates still yield plenty of compression artifacts at 1080p...

Pretty hard to find a new car with a CD player now too. At least many have USB or Micro SD slots. I always hated CDs in the car honestly. I was pretty happy when I got a car that could play MP3s off a CD though. I must have burned dozens of discs, but that replaced 100s of real CDs. I do not want to go back to the horrors of CD changers :).

Keep your CDs though. They'll be like vinyl to kids one day. Physical media will blow their mind.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
New computer Jumbo All-in-One computer didnt have internal --- plenty of space/room for one....... I had to buy an external CD/DVD drive with USB interface. Still need it sometimes.

Best streaming picture quality I ever get isnt in USA. Its in my condo in Bangkok, of all places. Fabulous 4k video picture there. Whats up Comcast ??

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Not my posse, but a big chunk of my life. I was raised around session musicians as a kid/teen.

I kinda think musicians are like most of the other folk. They dont know where to hear or buy good gear. They obviously like music but listen to what they can afford. I gave my musician friend a new stereo power amp for his play back and he immediately heard the improvement and was so excited he Gave me a 3000 dollar bass guitar from his collection, when i had not asked for anything.

So.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a musician in Czech Philharmonic, he loves good reproduced sound and is a hifi enthusiast, and he can hear the slightest deviations in sound and musical performance, which I am unable to catch. So any generalization like "musicians are not good listeners, they do not care about sound" etc. is IMO wrong, like almost any generalization of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.