John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Richard,
You may be right. I don't know what kinds of tests the QA400/401 will make, but I need THD vs level too. If the QA400 or QA401 doesn't make those tests, then if you need them you are forced down a more expensive road.

I'm doing the best I can with very little money. The purchase of the RTX has forced a lifestyle change (and a pissed off wife). It comes down to what you are willing to go through to reach a goal. I'm hoping the time saved will translate into more and better work that will pay off in the long run. Doing the best with what fate has handed me.

Best, Chris

Joined 2016
Paid Member
There is a trailing ')' missing, however the correct link is shown as first choice on wikipedia so I not too onerous. As to finding a link to the acutal music for the terminally lazy, sorry if gpauk can find it then it's clearly not hard. I just bought the CD.

Yes, it was soooo difficult... Taxed at least one neuron...
Good music though - got the album now so thanks Bill!

- Graham

How to use QA400 with Arta?

QA would have to add the feature, I was simply pointing out the basic converter performance can be had a reasonable cost. Lots of cheap sound cards can push the bits over USB, I even have an $80 one that does 24/192 with ARTA.

Chris, I didn't realize you wanted features like 100V or more at the input. I would expect even the worst for parts scope plug-ins would have working input attenuators.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
Well, I do audio service and design. I learned a while ago that you can string together things to achieve a goal, but those things don't tend to be reliable over the years.

Before the RTX I was using an HP 339A and would hang a spec-an or scope on the monitor output. But that doesn't cut it when some of your work is below the noise floor. The RTX is perhaps the least expensive one or two box solution that will get me down to see what is going on. The QA units would also probably do that, but I still need to do distortion vs power. I also need to automate the tests to both save time, and to prevent me from making mistakes or forgetting to run some tests. For the options open to me, the RTX was like a hand up from heaven. Especially since I was in on the group buy. Without that, the RTX would be well out of range for me.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,
You may be right. I don't know what kinds of tests the QA400/401 will make, but I need THD vs level too. If the QA400 or QA401 doesn't make those tests, then if you need them you are forced down a more expensive road.

I'm doing the best I can with very little money. The purchase of the RTX has forced a lifestyle change (and a pissed off wife). It comes down to what you are willing to go through to reach a goal. I'm hoping the time saved will translate into more and better work that will pay off in the long run. Doing the best with what fate has handed me.

Best, Chris

Hi,

The QA will do the FFT and also display the THD. But, I know where you are coming from. I also have no patience for kludged gear and inadequate and bugs in software and interfacing issues. The RTX is very nice. Glad you took the risk to get it.

As some here know from some of my exploits - I am a risk taker. Now I am writing you from 30th floor in Bangkok looking out over the city sky line. My wife still doesn't know how much the M2 system costs and I didn't have the guts to face her on it.... some risks I wont take. I waited until she had gone to Wash DC to visit her daughter to buy it. I don't mess with a warrior alpha woman. :) The fury that woman can lay down on you is truly amazing. But I did risk it (sort of) and enjoying them a lot.

Enjoy it. No regrets.

-Richard

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Richard,
I'll agree with you on all of the above.

I was in my early 20's when I couldn't find a job (recession), so I made one. I ran that company for 16 years before selling it. Each decision I made was a risk, but I ended up being one of the best audio service shops in town. I had the guts to go after Revox warranty among others and there wasn't a contract I wanted that I didn't get. I also did recording studio service. Being a very young adult, each company took a risk on me too. After a while they were asking me, not the other way around.

So you never get anywhere without putting yourself on the line and pushing for all you're worth. People will respect someone who does what they say they will do, and that is how your word becomes the most valuable thing you have. And that is worth more than money at the end of the day. Besides, when you're down, others will help and honest person out. My history really made a giant difference after I got injured, and it still does to this day. Karma is one way of looking at it. Helping people out tends to give back, even if it isn't 1:1.

Wives are really risking a lot, but no regrets. Always move forward.

-Chris :)

Helping people out tends to give back, even if it isn't 1:1.

There are those here that can't afford these things no matter what, wife or not (I never have to ask nor does she about anything we buy). They deserve to be informed of the alternatives which BTW are neither kluges nor unreliable for basic things like single frequency THD vs. level. In fact neither the RTX nor an AP can match Samuel's (or even Ed's) passive component distortion measurements.

IME something purchased for a business is a capital expense that is depreciated, etc., I don't see how buying AP's, etc. applies to the average DIY'er building a couple of amp designs in the basement or garage.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
IME something purchased for a business is a capital expense that is depreciated, etc., I don't see how buying AP's, etc. applies to the average DIY'er building a couple of amp designs in the basement or garage.

Depends --- I buy test equipment and cannot write it off because I am not a company or business. Never have been. I do it as an interesting hobby for my own curiosity and enjoyment. Usually, I share what I found with others. I invest in learning this way. And all DIY hobbies require some investment in tools. Wood, metal, cars, audio, computer hw/sw, gardening, airplanes... all need some tools of the trade. But if one is just building a couple amps and that will be the end of it... buy a kit or BOM and learn to solder.... yes, pretty minimal investment needed.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
People spend high amounts of money on all kinds of hobbies every day. Test instrumentation is a hobby of mine, but so is audio electronics. You are absolutely correct when you point out that someone not pushing the boundaries of what they can do (assuming they actually do come up with very low distortion designs) do not need an RTX-6001, or any other similar item. I know a few people with AP System one and two machines. They bought them when they were more expensive than the RTX I just bought. They use them, and one person has one just because he can say he has one. But who am I to judge?

Someone who loves the hobby has as much reason to buy one of these audio test systems as another who rebuilds cars 'cause he likes cars. Some of those folks have spent far more than I have on my entire bench easily. I bet if I told them they didn't need the stuff they use I might have a fight on my hands.

I'm just a guy trying to make a living from something I know, and trying to teach myself what I used to know before a car accident. My audio work as become pretty good and I need to get better equipment in order to know what is happening "down there in the grass". So for me, all this test gear is there for a good reason. I can't hold down a normal job and there is no insurance settlement for me either. I have no income beyond what I can do on the bench. Thank goodness I used to do service professionally and that knowledge wasn't wiped out like the few years before the accident was.

I know there are a lot of injured people in this hobby. More than I could have imagined before I was injured. Once you find yourself on this side of that fence, your outlook is changed and you recognise others like yourself.

I don't know that I want to run another larger business again. But I do follow my interests as many of us do. So, whether buying equipment applies to someone or not is really a question of perspective from their vantage point. As long as the equipment is used and they are learning from it, I would have to say that they do need that gear to do what they are doing. It's a heck of a lot better than getting drunk and being miserable over the cards life has dealt you, wouldn't you say?

Scott, if you were able to buy / get a ton of advanced equipment from work for your own use in your basement (for example), I would have to guess that it would be put to good use. And, more power to you for it. I think that anyone serious about a hobby should be able to assemble what they need for it.

Example. A guy (or girl) who enjoys shooting and wants to improve their accuracy doesn't need a 5 turret press for assembling ammunition, one round per pull. They could just as well be and maybe better to use a single stage press. They could even use a hand press. I have one of those. But, their ammunition will be more consistent and made faster with the 5 stage press. One rifle or shotgun can be worth more than the RTX easily. They probably have more than one. Then there are the velocity meters that they use to clock their ammo. Excess or striving for more accurate shots? Personally, I know they are battling against themselves to become better shots. That is worthwhile to them, and it keeps them off the streets.

I haven't depreciated anything ever. I don't know how, and do not want to do the paperwork. That's beyond me.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
yes I know people that buy the latest Tek scopes and network analyzers new at $50K + for their radio hobby but the majority of hams are hardcore DIY (Altoids tins, etc.)
I would love to be one of them, but we all do what we can.

That's one thing I would do if I won a lottery. Since that isn't going to happen I'll just keep on chugging along with my museum pieces. :)

-Chris

We're doing a massive lab contraction over here, so I'm just trying to get my hands on some of our late-80's early 90's test equipment that will otherwise go to surplus. :) If I'm half-successful, I'll be in the 50k+ crew, albeit with stuff from 30 years ago. Still more than fast enough for anything audio.

Thanks! When I think about it, nothing is quite $50k USD 2018 equivalent value, but, still, really nice Tek/HP stuff. Semantics about exact cost. And it'd be a lot of GPIB programming if I wanted to automate anything!

All part of the fun, IMO. Pretty sure my EMU0404 + altoids tin support circuitry does most of what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.