John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob is a math wiz and great guy he answered me immediately and very graciously when I found a trivial error in one of his filters. His math skills are so far beyond the average EE graduate these days it isn't funny. We've gone to a simulate until good mode.

I'm usually looking for free tools that are aimed at fundamental algorithm development and data analysis.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
. Not quite sure how to think of it, total chaos, total dangerous, what... when he says 17th part, 2008, I assume he is talking about NECode? When I talk code, I use words like "bonding", "grounding"...lightning, that kinda stuff.. I couldn't figure out what he was trying to do. Ah, it's a subtle hint when they mention earthing to send all the bad emi and rf to go, as a sink...
I assume he means the IET (was IEE) wiring regs AKA BS7671. I don't have a recent copy only a last century one.

So, while outlawed, he shows how to do it anyway?? But instead of hard to grounding conductor, some wimpy spade lugs to the equipment external metal surfaces? There is so much wrong there, I had to call it out.. The setup screams unwanted grounding currents, total disaster should there be a nearby stroke, either cloud to cloud, or to earth. Nevermind what would happen should a powerline conductor break or fall and cause a earth gradient. If worms started jumping out of the earth near the rods, do NOT turn on the stereo or TV....

Jn
Yeah a few audio journalists have managed to bribe sparkies to fit 'technical grounds' despite a total lack of understanding of safety. Luckily that seems to be rare now.

It's not that bad actually. The idea is to bond everthing together (for DC and LF/MF) with a lower-Z path than the mains connection of the devices as well as a lower-Z path than the interconnects.
I have no issue with equipotential bonding as practised in say operating theatres or the practice in the UK regs of bonding heating pipes together wherever possible*, and was even mulling the idea of putting some bus bar on my hifi rack in one of my mad moments, The idea of grounding everything with random thin but expensive wires that are not the right colour for ground that might help, but is more likely to just make things worse I don't buy.

If I ever find them will scan the Ben Duncan articles on power filtering. He starts off on sort of the right path then goes bonkers. He believes you can hear the difference in sound between a 16A breaker that is new and one that has tripped.

I really really must start the grounding thread I promised to do.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Oh and an interesting pair of articles that I found whilst looking around to see if there was any sensible analysis of how double insulated equipment can improve/worsen noise pickup

I'm Shocked: Why am I Getting a Tingle? | Hi-Fi | Feature | AVHub
Why do I get a shock or Tingle when I touch the DVD Player or VTR / VCR's RCA connectors ?

They both tell essentially the same story but with a different fix. I assumed at first that it was same author but couldn't confirm. In one ground straps on the DI equipment (similar to Russ) on the other Ycaps to ground from the cases of the equipment. The commonality is that both blame the DI equipment for hum. But at least they point out that 'earth lifting' is an exceeding dumb thing todo.

The Mac user appeal factor. Please no bricks in this direction. [emoji3]

I think my favorite Apple add was John de Lancie's (The Q from Star Trek) desktop, totally clean save for a MAC, a bud vase with a single rose, and a glass of chardonnay.

Good taste is never irrelevant.

YouTube

Just imagine if Bob Pease designed the iPhone top to bottom.

Would have great reception from the middle of the Saharan Desert and look like this:

IMG_9844.JPG

Last edited:
Local feedback should be used sparingly, if at all possible, because it always worsens the ratio of low order harmonics to higher order harmonics. The Otala amp was a notable exception, that used local feedback to create lead networks, as well as reduce open loop gain. It works, but I do not recommend it in modern designs. We have faster output devices now.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just imagine if Bob Pease designed the iPhone top to bottom.

Would have great reception from the middle of the Saharan Desert and look like this:

No way. That is way too neat 'looking' for a Pease prototype.

I actually have one of these. Proper hairy chested 8W manly phone. Note 15 years from this to the iphone. Pretty good progress!

Attachments

• Orbitel-TPU-901.jpg
    Orbitel-TPU-901.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 262
Love your comment on youtube Scott!

EDIT: watching a bit suddenly makes the comment make more sense. It's worth watching just for the subtitles :)

If you know some French even more fun, I think maybe this violates the rule that it always is better in German. I recently watched some of the 60's Taiwanese sword movies dubbed in German, not to be missed.

Last edited:
Dan,
Hi Sync.
So you haven't done any AB comparison in a long while ?
No, probably should.

Headphones ?.
In process.

Where I live is essentially silent, certainly with doors/windows closed.
I wouldn't know about that any longer.
it would be nice. The sound of silence, ja?

Huh ?....how loud are you playing your guitar ?
The only way to play and feel that you are on the stage and
in the groove and that your amp, guitar, and gear is working
the way it should;

at live levels. :eek:

Cheers,

No, probably should.
Yeah, try it and let us know what you find.
Try just your guitar amp direct into a wall socket or via the filter box.

I wouldn't know about that any longer.
it would be nice. The sound of silence, ja?
Close to.....quieter actually than out in the bush, insect, bird and rustling leaves sound is louder than indoors, where I live.

The only way to play and feel that you are on the stage and
in the groove and that your amp, guitar, and gear is working
the way it should;at live levels. :eek:Cheers,
Sure, and more fun.
The vibration caused by guitar amp SPL is causing your gear to reset/misbehave ?.
Which gear resets ?.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Local feedback should be used sparingly, if at all possible, because it always worsens the ratio of low order harmonics to higher order harmonics. The Otala amp was a notable exception, that used local feedback to create lead networks, as well as reduce open loop gain. It works, but I do not recommend it in modern designs. We have faster output devices now.

Hi John,

It does seem to do that, basically - but with certain other topologies and mode of operation, I only see 2H and 3H and nothing more.... (using local neg fb and over-all neg fb) and those can be made so low it is hard to measure them with the sota test gear. Maybe there are other notable exceptions?

.... you can choose the local degen R to cancel 3H and push-pull to cancel 2H. Then only a small amount of over-all neg fb is needed --- the frosting on the cake to reduce the residuals to even lower levels.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.