John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's so much cool stuff one can do without needing to rewrite physics, which already being engineered at levels that boggle the mind, including the very device you're using to view this thread. Of course, that actually requires one to be pretty well studied on what is already known. But at the mundane size scales we work at, outside of JNeutron's employer, one should assume that we're working in realms that are well described, even if we don't necessarily know which phenomenon(s) are at play.

That's not to say it's all known, and when we add the listener to the equation everything gets much more fuzzy. Of course, humans also follow the laws of physics at their most fundamental (it's all chemistry/physics at the end), but complexity masks what's going on, of course.

Well, last I checked, no change in the charge of the electron or change of speed of light has occurred. Some "inventors" seem to think so. Of course there will be new valuable inventions, based on science, and they will progress the art.

//

Not disagreeing with that latter, but I know an engineer of some standing who has questioned the light constant for many years and keeps bringing it up, and he is no 'inventor' and a transmission expert. Maybe it is time fluctuations that explains minor variations, so maybe light is constant and time is not? Who knows? But I won't adopt a rigid position on it. I am reminded that QM allows for time to have some inherent fuzziness.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Good Science works!

Sure. But what makes science interesting is that we can have on observation that cannot be explained at that time, and then looking for explanations and finding them. In the meantime, the science might look a bit messy and there will be perhaps a little bit of infighting, a few egos here and there taking positions, and yet hopefully emerge at the other side with a consensus and a hypothesis that can stand the scrutiny. So science is as much about the journey, that it is about the destination.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Science is mainly about the journey. Scientists build a giant apparatus, run it for a few months then say 'this is great, we now need a much bigger one'. Cern hasn't been shut down now the decayed carcass of the Higgs Boson has been found. They want to bigger better, faster collisions to see what particle roadkill they find.

None of which of course has very much bearing on the 20Hz-20kHz world of the human hearing. At least until they work out how to implant better ears into us.

Hi everybody! Today I looked carefully at these loudspeaker relays from Amplimo that I think Jan Didden recommended. For general use they look OK, but they are a little small for a big amp, so I probably can't use them, but they are interesting and relatively cheap!
I personally made a break-thru today as well in achieving good enough open loop performance in a modified Blowtorch line amp configured to be an I-V converter. My problem, as always in these cases, is trying to achieve acceptably low distortion without using a serious feedback loop. I do add a little loop feedback, but the open loop bandwidth remains very very high, which is equally important to me. Now for listening tests. I am not the first to do this, of course, the late Charles Hansen did it with his digital-analog circuitry as well. I will try a modified OPPO105 first, then use the OPPO as a transport and use an evaluation board made by ESS using a 9038 and a conventional IC based I-V converter, then I will splice in my open loop 4Q design that should be as simple as a tube stage in thru-put , but made of fets only. If I cannot hear any difference, I will not bother to go forward with the project. We shall see (or should I say, hear). '-)

Science is mainly about the journey....

Agreed. That was why I said it.

I don't want to sound off topic (is it possible to be off topic on a 'blowtorch' thread?), but the science of why people get hiccups, I was told by a doctor friend (she is actually a medical scientist), that is far from settled. Physiologically they know what a hiccup is, just not so much the why.

Not a sufferer, so let that be somebody else's journey. :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi everybody! Today I looked carefully at these loudspeaker relays from Amplimo that I think Jan Didden recommended. For general use they look OK, but they are a little small for a big amp, so I probably can't use them,

Yeah I know, it's hard to spin a nice story about something so small. Even if the performance is fine.
Need to be aware of the marketing! :)

Jan

Joined 2005
Paid Member
John,

I use Borbely’s modified all discrete jfet/fet line amp as the IV converter with 75 ma output stage bias current. Direct coupled with DC servo, bettter quality resistors, shunt regulators. Oppo as a transport. Big, big différence over any op amp tried in the IV stage, you will go farther................

Last edited:
I glad to see that several of you are serious about discrete I-V converters for the OPPO, etc. Most everyone, except for the tube guys seem to be stuck with IC's, except us! '-)
I am using something more close to the schematic that I put up recently, and finally got the distortion below 0.01% nearly pure third harmonic at full output digitally.

Attachments

• ctc bt 2.jpg
    ctc bt 2.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 378
Status
Not open for further replies.