John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, the very uniqueness of the resistor is the point. Why bother using such a unique device IF the rest of it is fake? (Which is even more exotic, than the resistor.)

And the wire is definitely Be, not BeCu?

Then comparing a full Bybee to just a regular 0.025 Ohm resistor, like Dale, is pretty much useless.

I wonder how would a full Bybee compare to just a foot of Be wire?

Beryllium wire is not toxic.
You would be wise to stick to what you know.

Beryllium oxide is toxic to 4% of the human population. It replaces potassium in the lung alveoli, making the surfaces impermeable to oxygen transfer... Commonly called berylliosis.

Brush wellman details this (at least they used to) on their website.

They also state that there is no test for susceptibility to berylliosis. As such, they have to consider all humans susceptible.

I do not care about your posts here, regardless of your erroneous content (or to be fair, your accurate content). However, blatant errors which put humans in danger, I will not stand idle.

Jn

Last edited:
The Bybee device itself will work with just a normal wirewound resistor, but not as well. Jack started with normal wirewound resistors, and most of the devices that I have in my own system use normal wirewound resistors, rather than the more exotic ones, and they are placed alongside the Bybee device, rather than inside as well.

They at least have a mechanical justification instead of none? I'm not thrilled by having Be around anywhere unneeded, BeCu alloys have their place but toxicity is still high. So no love for those tweeters either, to be honest.

I'm out, I look forward to seeing it on arXiv prepubs when you publish reversing entropy. I figured it was a film resistor as that had the best chance of mislabeling normal fabrication as nanoscale (and have a fighting chance of being "Quantum" in effect) but as a wire this is insulting to my intelligence.

I disagree, their assumptions and the framing of the problem were flawed as well as the limits of the available technology. I remind you that there is still a quite vociferous group that thinks 1980's multi-bit DAC's in NOS mode sound wonderful.
I´d like to share my experience. When I first built a non-oversampling dac it has completely changed my experience with music for the better. My goal was just to build a dac myself, the better sound was a bonus. Better than my two philips CD players and PC pro soundcards. I was able to enjoy a lot of music that didn´t interest me before. Because of better sound.

I have changed my opinion a couple of times about non-oversampling versus 2x oversampling. There might have been some issues that masked my perception before, but it is firm now: I have the best CD experience using 2x oversampling in the PC. Treble is definitely better. With high sample rate material it is not needed, of course.

As for enthusiasm about eighties multibit dacs, one of the reasons is they are much easier to work with (thinking in terms of "hobby" here, DIY). But other than that, they actually work well. You can make a heck of a musical apparatus even with TDA1543! And no, I don´t mean the usual schematics, I have refined them (as has John (ECDesigns) has too, for example). I also had a very good experience with the AD1865 and passive I/V but I haven´t fully refined this one yet.

I was thinking that this simple feedback amplifier might work well with differential AD1865 and passive I/V. Based on a borbely article. Simulation says 3rd is -108dB in relation to 1V peak, and the bandwidth (-3dB) is over 4MHz. But the actual performance will be very far from the simulated I believe.

Shown this way because it is easier to understand, but I would prefer a single supply and disconnect the source degen resistors of the input jfets from ground. Reference them to one another. Output will be AC coupled of course. Hope it will be stable with long jfet leads (I don´t want to cut them short, might have to use these jfets for something else at some point).

-Alex

Attachments

• feedback.png
    feedback.png
    18 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
They at least have a mechanical justification instead of none? I'm not thrilled by having Be around anywhere unneeded, BeCu alloys have their place but toxicity is still high. So no love for those tweeters either, to be honest.

I'm out, I look forward to seeing it on arXiv prepubs when you publish reversing entropy. I figured it was a film resistor as that had the best chance of mislabeling normal fabrication as nanoscale (and have a fighting chance of being "Quantum" in effect) but as a wire this is insulting to my intelligence.

Join the club. I work with and interact with some of the most cutting edge QM, nano, and superconducting researchers on the planet. I made the mistake of mentioning how the by bees worked (ak Jc), I was rewarded with spaghetti coming out of a nose. It was not pretty.
Exceptional claims...exceptional proof.
"Military secret" doesn't cut it... I made "military secret" components. I'm not impressed.

Jn

DPH, he meant that I should eat it and die. A weak attempt at sarcasm.

BeO powder is very toxic. And you shouldn't eat BeO ceramic either, but handling it is perfectly fine.
I enjoy sarcasm. However, he meant BeO is toxic. Fair enough.

BeO powder is not toxic, until it is a specific size and airborn. For some reason, I'm thinking four micron, but anybody interested should check.
BeO as a ceramic is NOT toxic per se. Only as a dust and only if inhaled.

I worked with BeO thin film resistors in '81, very cool so to speak. Made a TRR fixture capable of quarter nanosecond response..fun times

Jn

Preamps can have out-of-phase crosstalk, which some might hear as an improvement.
Dual triodes shared between channels, or pickup from large coupling capacitors, can cause this.
Counterpoint used grounded shields over coupling capacitors in some models to reduce this effect.

That is an interesting thing to bring up because there is value in some crosstalk like you describe. It isn't because crosstalk sounds good, it's because people making albums foolishly hard pan parts of the music and that sounds like ****. If they do it right there are techniques to make it not sound squawky like it's inside the speaker. But since you don't get that all the time, a little crosstalk might be nice. They purposely do it with headphones.

Yes, it sounds good, almost SOTA.

Look Daniel, I think Waly almost complimented you since he thinks you're "almost SOTA"

Status
Not open for further replies.