John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's the social factor of what to call "hearing", and then there's the actual factor that pretty much any experimental design that would have rigor will be rejected by all parties as way too onerous. Multiple, identical hardware pieces, many-sessions to avoid fatigue, training, etc.

The rigorous approach would presumably be directed towards settling the issues scientifically by way of new research, not only of a few individuals but of the (audio gear using) general public. Agree such would probably be too onerous.

However, Scott suggested a framework for discussion which would presumably be something else. Don't know exactly what he had in mind or may have been thinking of.

IMHO, the idea of creating a framework may be something used to help make progress and find areas of agreement in situations involving differing opinions on what constitutes the facts, maybe if a history of distrust, disrespect, etc. You know.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
IMHO, the idea of creating a framework may be something used to help make progress and find areas of agreement in situations involving differing opinions on what constitutes the facts, maybe if a history of distrust, disrespect, etc. You know.

The 'accuracy' test I suggested will help to get each towards a more accurate system performance. Without arguing with one another. Without trying for a quorum decision.

Its your own room and familiar voices in Your system. Then work on it until the real and reproduced match.

Then, share what you did to close the gap between real and reproduced.

-RNM

Last edited:
And that I thank you for from the bottom of my heart.

I just take those little goodies the likes of you design and start hammering them together until they sing.

Send me your preamp for updates!

The way I feel toward good engineers in most settings, and perhaps especially big corps, is that they should be treated better. They are the life blood of society. But I do know there are products out there that had bad engineers behind them. The problem is it is really hard to tell when it was bad engineering or poor choices in cost cutting/deliberate time sabotaged.

However, Scott suggested a framework for discussion which would presumably be something else. Don't know exactly what he had in mind or may have been thinking of.

I was trying to avoid the "science" word. Frankly I don't see the problem with DBT but that has gotten nowhere for literally years. I thought maybe you had a suggestion for a forum where the two sides can sit down and agree as to what is or is not heard (and sit down together I think has to be literal). All the previous attempts have failed, too much to lose.

I was thinking earlier that the idea of there being two sides, which keeps cropping up, is too simplistic. It often does appear that way but I think that's because of basic gang mentality. The arguments either way get out of hand too easily, extreme views and language are sexy, is the only way to get a response to say things that are so false?

I feel like I might be an elementary school teacher, continually repeating class lessons to recalcitrant students who just don't learn the prerequisites to further knowledge. You guys are continually missing the points that more experienced designers have found out the hard way. No wonder there are so many mid-fi audio products that will see only a short time in the market place and then be put into the dustbin. When are you guys going to wake up?

I feel like I might be an elementary school teacher, continually repeating class lessons to recalcitrant students who just don't learn the prerequisites to further knowledge. You guys are continually missing the points that more experienced designers have found out the hard way. No wonder there are so many mid-fi audio products that will see only a short time in the market place and then be put into the dustbin. When are you guys going to wake up?

And when language like this exists in general, but especially from a thought leader, any effort seems Sisyphalean (and nor Camus's version either)

Scott, I could probably demonstrate to your satisfaction in person that I can do everything I have said I can. I could even teach you how to start getting better at it. So, again I am not clear on what unambiguous proof you are looking for. If we are talking about certain other claims then perhaps I could understand difficulty trying to find some way forward. Feel free to PM if you would like.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012

:) :cool: Here I feel like i am where i left off 30 + years ago. No budge and tribalism taken over.

I have to find those new and ridiculously expensive sub-bass drivers (Waly will like this ... seems to be a button of his. So I do it) -- $2000 USD each.

More fun to figure out a push-pull compound arrangement for them. Carry on guys. Good luck in your quest for a more accurate system.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member

It's hard to keep track of all the posts from you. Could you please make a bullet list to sum up the 5 last most important prerequisites that we need not to miss?

//

John, that isn't that bad. Elementary kids will come around. On one of my Teacher Internship evaluations, Dr. Stamps wrote that I needed to redirect my students about 17 or 18 times instead of the four of five that I did. And this was in High School.

The most difficult grade of all to teach is 6th grade. That is where the most physiological change takes place and is the jump from elementary (baby school) to middle school.

It was at this level I was honored with running In-School Suspension for a large urban school district, in the worst neighborhood of said district. This was my punishment for reporting illegal grade changes that my dean made to district and state agencies. No such thing as no pass no play in Texas. As he himself stated to me, "it is for your longevity in the district". Then, if he couldn't get rid of me, he'd ruin my career by sending me to run ISS in Middle School.

So imagine trying to gain control of those students, athletes, classes once the administrators subvert the teacher discipline?

And so all the spoiled athletes continued to learn that if they played sport well, they could blow off course work and act how ever they wanted knowing that there were no consequences for their behavior or actions. Heck, even if they knocked out their wives or girlfriends in the hotel elevator and it was caught on camera, they get free passes.

Post Script - It actually took me only two weeks to gain control of the middle school in which I ran ISS. 1500 students, over crowded, 89.6 percent socio-, economic-, or itinerant, or other disadvantaged.

I eventually won 11 grants, to work with the kids in other areas. Sadly, one grant the office manager kept. Oh the joy.

Cheers,

Unambiguous proof of what exactly? Which claims? (as long as we are trying to be unambiguous :D )

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's start with the ones involving sending everyone out of the room with hands over their ears.

For the record I was not addressing any of your claims. IIRC in the past we have discussed undithered 16bit audio. It's existence in commercial CD's was an unfortunate oversight by the engineering community. I fully accept that one can train oneself to identify it. I'm not talking subtle things, I'm talking cable lifters being better than spending an extra $5000 on new speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.