John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the bottom of a storm cloud was negative and the earth positive and normal storm cloud lightning is cloud to ground.

In such case everything would be named differently, and you had to apply negative voltage on collector of NPN transistor. Wait, it would be called PNP! Holes would be negative, electrons positive. Arrows would be drawn to the same direction as now! :)

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
As to interferometry, Many years back I was visiting Bose, one of the stops on the tour was supposed to be their laser lab. They had brought in a world class fellow to set it up so they could look at their drivers. I mention I was anxious to see it as I had worked with optical systems. They took it off the tour because they considered it "Secret" and so would not show it to anyone who might actually learn something.

Then decades later I was at JBL in the their large testing room, waiting for my friends to come back from a not so quick bathroom break. One of their engineers who did not know me wandered in and stood around looking nervous. He wanted to measure the deflection of an enclosure, but did not want to do it in front of me, as he though it was "Secret" stuff. My buddies got back and laughingly explained that it was OK to do it in front of me as they had just been demonstrating that system to me.

These days you just buy a Klippel analyzer. It is a nice and moderately priced system.

Companies. Sheesh!

When Brendon S. decided it was time to look for a more promising career path, he discovered that Harman was looking for a chief engineer in the Multimedia group (I believe at that time it was known as Audio for Computers). So he applied, got interviewed, got the job. Upon his first day at work, he arrived, and so did a giant package of a lawsuit from his former employer Labtech. It turned out among other things that Tom Jacoby had secretly promised Labtech in writing that Harman would never recruit anyone out of Labtech, so that was one of the complaints. But of course Harman didn't do any such thing. But the lawsuit proceeded, depositions, great expense, yada yada.

In court, attorneys for Labtech mentioned all of the crucial proprietary material that Brendon had been privy to. Among the things they regarded as very valuable and to which Harman must be prevented access: the virtual multi-axis surround synthesis technique invented by Duane Cooper and Jerry Bauck.

There was a huddle. The attorneys for Harman came back and pointed out that VMAx was licensed to Labtech by Harman.

That was, one could say, something of a setback for Labtech.

:D

Even not-so-modern. You can use an interferometric method to get positional resolution of 150nm with a red laser, and with a quadrature setup, you know velocity; this was routinely done in spectrometers in the '70s. I started to play with that for a subwoofer servo, but ran into some issues with having some of the optics prototyped affordably.

Sounds about right...

We used to measure .001" (25u) electroformed orifice plate holes (5,000 holes in a 4 foot nickel plate) all to 250 nm with a travelling laser on a track. Controlled size to ~ 1.5% for accurate high speed inkjet dye printing on fabrics; this was ~ 1980 or so. Counted the edge produced interference fringes.

I thought the convention for current flow was established before anyone knew about electrons.

Well, Benjamin was an excellent observer of lighting strikes, so he assumed what he saw was correct..and he got it wrong. bad coin flip on that one. Remembering that the ground is the source is always a good way of thinking when trying to grok the functionality shielding. Almost like dither, in one way of thinking. A covering noise for obscuration as opposed to shielding/blocking via absence or drain. Like a fish living in water, it is a reference for zero even though it is the exact opposite of that. Relativity comes to life in a ground reference. (just rambling out loud. You'se no dummy Scott, I'm not aiming anything at you)

As for the rest of my original post, here's a recent proofing. One of thousands, if one bothers to look.

http://www.nanotech-now.com/news.cgi?story_id=44551

Electric universe, elastic and mutable via loading and shift/delta. This involves extreme pressure and speed cutting jet designs:

This technology can be used in sectors such as photovoltaics, microsurgery, targeted delivery of drugs, micro/nano fabrication and low cost extraction of algae for biodiesel production.

The founder and CEO of Nanospire, Mr. Mark. L. LeClair examined the cavitation machining for jets in early 2004. He found a crystalline form of water created by cavitation. The faceted jets had enormous electrostatic charge. By applying electrostatic charge, the crystalline jets etched lengthy semi hexagonal trenches which resulted in increased removal of substances.

The crystals were accelerated due to their attraction towards the supersonic bow shock produced by the Casimir Force. This acceleration resulted in the relativistic speeds of crystals in extremely short distances. This phenomenon was called the LeClair effect. High elemental transmutation was witnessed due to the bow shock.

Using the patented LeClair effect, Mark LeClair produced a cavitation reactor in March, 2007. A hot water heater was a result of the experiments carried out during mid-2009, funded by a low energy nuclear reaction (LENR) advocate. Mark LeClair along with Serge Lebid, co-founder of EVP and Five Star Technologies, found that the reactor activated high transmutation, fission and fusion in water. The reactor heated 2.9kW of water by utilizing 840W of input. The output was 3.4 times higher than the input. While passing through the reactor, the temperature of water increased up to 32°F with temperature spikes of 50°F. The experiment was repeated 12 times.

78 different elements were detected.

Last edited:
I thought the bottom of a storm cloud was negative and the earth positive and normal storm cloud lightning is cloud to ground.

A lightning bolt differs from a spark. The lighting is a series of discharges and what the eye sees appears to be a single bolt. But if you understand why a lightning rod works, that is because it really does start from the ground up! But the localized energy storage is in the cloud. So once a path is formed the charged water vapor does discharge downward.

Now I watched a PHD defense on the propagation of sparks. It was quite interesting. The field between the electrodes propagates as a spherical wavefront until it reaches close enough to form a discharge point. This then ionizes the nearby gases increasing a local conductance area. That is the flash you see.

Companies. Sheesh!

When Brendon S. decided it was time to look for a more promising career path, he discovered that Harman was looking for a chief engineer in the Multimedia group (I believe at that time it was known as Audio for Computers). So he applied, got interviewed, got the job. Upon his first day at work, he arrived, and so did a giant package of a lawsuit from his former employer Labtech. It turned out among other things that Tom Jacoby had secretly promised Labtech in writing that Harman would never recruit anyone out of Labtech, so that was one of the complaints. But of course Harman didn't do any such thing. But the lawsuit proceeded, depositions, great expense, yada yada.

In court, attorneys for Labtech mentioned all of the crucial proprietary material that Brendon had been privy to. Among the things they regarded as very valuable and to which Harman must be prevented access: the virtual multi-axis surround synthesis technique invented by Duane Cooper and Jerry Bauck.

There was a huddle. The attorneys for Harman came back and pointed out that VMAx was licensed to Labtech by Harman.

That was, one could say, something of a setback for Labtech.

:D

Did not Labtech become Logitech?

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Did not Labtech become Logitech?

They were acquired by Logitech and dropped the brand name. That occurred quite a bit later.

Brendon, after a power struggle at Harman, was shifted to a marketing-oriented position. He was still more recently offered a job by Altec as the latter had just started up a facility in San Diego, and I believe he is there now.

A good guy. Straightshooter, fair and just, and not a glad-hander. He was my boss for quite a while when I consulted for Harman Multimedia.

Brad

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
As for the rest of my original post, here's a recent proofing. One of thousands, if one bothers to look.

Nanotechnology Now - Press Release: "Nanospire’s Cavitation Re-Entrant Jets Useful in Micro-Nano Fabrication"

Electric universe, elastic and mutable via loading and shift/delta. This involves extreme pressure and speed cutting jet designs:

This technology can be used in sectors such as photovoltaics, microsurgery, targeted delivery of drugs, micro/nano fabrication and low cost extraction of algae for biodiesel production.

The founder and CEO of Nanospire, Mr. Mark. L. LeClair examined the cavitation machining for jets in early 2004. He found a crystalline form of water created by cavitation. The faceted jets had enormous electrostatic charge. By applying electrostatic charge, the crystalline jets etched lengthy semi hexagonal trenches which resulted in increased removal of substances.

The crystals were accelerated due to their attraction towards the supersonic bow shock produced by the Casimir Force. This acceleration resulted in the relativistic speeds of crystals in extremely short distances. This phenomenon was called the LeClair effect. High elemental transmutation was witnessed due to the bow shock.

Using the patented LeClair effect, Mark LeClair produced a cavitation reactor in March, 2007. A hot water heater was a result of the experiments carried out during mid-2009, funded by a low energy nuclear reaction (LENR) advocate. Mark LeClair along with Serge Lebid, co-founder of EVP and Five Star Technologies, found that the reactor activated high transmutation, fission and fusion in water. The reactor heated 2.9kW of water by utilizing 840W of input. The output was 3.4 times higher than the input. While passing through the reactor, the temperature of water increased up to 32°F with temperature spikes of 50°F. The experiment was repeated 12 times.

78 different elements were detected.

I so much want the LENR and related stuff to be vindicated. Recently Paul Rako used his bully pulpit to disparage anyone who might be foolish enough to countenance anything remotely related to the tainted term "cold fusion". I thought his performance was distasteful.

In a related vein sociologically, Pease used to bash certain favorite targets like Keats Pullen, and this was one of his very unattractive traits. And he truly hated, really hated, being wrong. Ah the pitfalls of Journalism!

Although Pons and Fleischmann admit that they did a terrible job of publicizing their work and in the choice of terminology, the scientific establishment really did a hatchet job on them. If there was one thing they were acknowledged experts about it was calorimetry. Disgraceful treatment.

If there was one thing they were acknowledged experts about it was calorimetry. Disgraceful treatment.

No, they really weren't. Stan was an electrochemist, specializing in IR spectroscopy of electrode surfaces. Marty did surface Raman and microelectrode work. Neither had any more background in calorimetry than any random physical chemist (like me). The "disgraceful" treatment was appropriate for a disgraceful way of doing science.

Stan is now running a restaurant in Italy, where perhaps his talents are being better utilized. I hate saying this because he was always very nice to me and was extremely helpful in some of my research, but this was total and utter bilge, compounded by a couple of guys who tasted glory, hated being wrong, and were desperate to rationalize it. They wrecked what was once one of the pre-eminent chemistry departments in the world in the process. Coincidentally, I had lunch about two weeks ago with the prof who was brought in to replace Stan; Dr. White is doing some terrific research and trying to restore Utah to its previous glory.

The problem for Benjamin was that the true initial strike is very fast, and nearly invisible. the after strike, bright, loud plasma does seem to be only from + to negative. His failing was not having access to fast photography...

Wrinkle

Recently Paul Rako used his bully pulpit to disparage anyone who might be foolish enough to countenance anything remotely related to the tainted term "cold fusion". I thought his performance was distasteful.

In a related vein sociologically, Pease used to bash certain favorite targets like Keats Pullen, and this was one of his very unattractive traits. And he truly hated, really hated, being wrong. Ah the pitfalls of Journalism!

I'm surprised Paul is a really nice guy, he personally asked me not to grill Ron Quan. I have seen plenty of private Pease correspondance that is unprintable.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I'm surprised Paul is a really nice guy, he personally asked me not to grill Ron Quan. I have seen plenty of private Pease correspondance that is unprintable.

Well perhaps Paul is more knowledgeable about LENR etc. and therefore more frustrated (see SY's inside scoop above, which came as a surprise to me --- not that I have been that much of a student of all that stuff). I just have seen some columns that I found disturbing. Another one that I think he wrote was all about amplifier "classes", and he had decided that Crown's "Class I" was just marketing BS. However after I said in a comment that there was probably a good reason for yet another category, this actually got a response from Gerald Stanley, who informed us all that the "I" stood for Interleave (the technology used in the new Mark Levinson amp, which manages an equivalent switching frequency of 4MHz). It just happened that it was more-or-less next in the alphabet.

Of course Pease was a force of nature. Did you ever see his exchange with Sheingold in which he claimed that he (RP) had intentionally put a wrong number in for a correction factor for average-reading sine-calibrated meters when measuring noise, and accused ADI of stealing it? A number of us had our regard for him drop about 6dB at that point. That was a long time ago, but I'll bet Dan S. still remembers it.

When he went on one of his lengthy rants about Keats Pullen, he put out a challenge: could anyone find JFETs that worked at low currents as well as KP alleged they used to do? RP was certain that we could not. I tested 2N6550s and 2SK170 parts, put a fairly elaborate tester together, and found that KP was right.

I sent all of this to RP. No response. Finally in one of his loose-ends columns, he had a tiny note about some guy testing some Hitachi transistors and finding some that were close to x behavior. Wrong transistor vendors, no mention of who did it, no real admission that he had been mistaken and that maybe it hadn't been fair to trash Pullen. That was about it for me.

His reputation for iconoclasm gained him and his column a lot of followers. I would mention some of these things to them and I could see it was so cognitively dissonant that they were not even going to remember it the next day.

I will have to meet some of these folks face-to-face someday (of course too late for RP and Jim Williams, sadly). I don't really enjoy going around and collecting bad news about people --- although there are some real stinkers out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.