John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not the point, the mechanism for "super" capacitance is not clear I can find no references for this behavior and isolating it at or near self-resonance is an interesting problem. Their test circuit would help.

??? I could not find a reference that matched "super" capacitance in the pdf.

Some dielectrics are more lossy at higher frequencies. PE as used in cables would make a great cap having good electrical properties to several GHz but the temp problem probably prevents it use as does the difficulty making a usable film from it.

The MKN with the poor cap vs frequency characteristics probably gets very hot at high current RF.

The cap vs. freq. curve just requires a good bridge and its pretty easy to measure.

??? I could not find a reference that matched "super" capacitance in the pdf.

Some dielectrics are more lossy at higher frequencies. PE as used in cables would make a great cap having good electrical properties to several GHz but the temp problem probably prevents it use as does the difficulty making a usable film from it.

The MKN with the poor cap vs frequency characteristics probably gets very hot at high current RF.

The cap vs. freq. curve just requires a good bridge and its pretty easy to measure.

I was refering to things like FDNR's where things look like capacitors varying faster than proportional to f. Less lossy or better (lossy is a resistive component) at higher frequencies I find unusual. If your bridge has a 1MHz test frequency and we resonate the cap at 1MHz with an L you can't measure the C, only the loss.

Last edited:
PMA, it is interesting that Tektronix had a similar problem making their attenuators, and wrote a technical article about it back in the early 1970's. They had problems compensating their attenuators, because of the inherent circuit board DA, which they referred to as 'circuit hook' I'm fairly sure. There was an interesting article in one of the major American electronic engineering magazines, so I would guess 'EDN', 'Electronics Design', or 'Electronics' magazine. Unfortunately, I lost the article in the firestorm, 20 years ago.

I have found the real measurement. Yellow plot - one can see that it is both above and under correct shape. This was fixed by exchanging the divider capacitor for the polypropylene.

Attachments

• X100_1.PNG
    X100_1.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 228
Status
Not open for further replies.